Iamjordan

Scottish Police Numbers examination

Hey

I was wondering if someone could help me. I applied for the police in 2012 and struggled on the numbers test. Recently i spoke to a friend who took the test and said they he was allowed to use a calculator. Is this a new thing that was brought in and have the tests changed now if you can use a calculator.

thank you

Sorry not a north of the border person, but someone should know on here. Nothing to stop a second application.Welcome to the forum anyway.

16 hours ago, joner11234 said:

Hi, I took the test last week and a calculator is allowed and have 30 minutes to compleate 

Does that not make the test a joke?

23 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Does that not make the test a joke?

I spoke to the recruitment officer who was in charge and he said the reason was that a lot of people were only failing the maths exam hense why your allowed a calculator.  

The idea of a maths exam is surely to show that they are numerate. To allow a calculator is self defeating, and would indicate,to me anyway, a lowering of standards.

Can't see the problem. It's a maths exam not an arithmetic test. If you don't know your maths you can't pass no matter how many calculators you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I assume this is what they call numerical reasoning?

Having done one of those tests, with a calculator, I can see why the calculators are allowed - they're not easy even for someone with a "scientific" brain or technical background.

It's more about understanding the data & how it was derived, and using the same methods to extrapolate other bits of information to answer the question.