TheButler

International Transfer

Hello everyone. I'm a copper in Australia and considering coming back home to work. Just curious if anyone has ever done this and if anyone would be able to compare "the job" in Australia against it in England. 

Cheers,

The general impression I get from comments on forums and Facebook is that police in Oz are treated better than in the UK and get a lot more support from their government than here.  The pay is also better in Oz albeit the cost of living there is also higher.

If moving to WA police is anything to go by (I know its the reverse of what you are talking about) then a British PC moving there would have to start from the beginning.  As such  I would have thought that any PC moving from Oz to the UK would also have to start from the beginning ie on £23000 so could you afford the reduction in salary?

Haha yes I think it would be a significant drop in pay, however I like to think the cost of living, lifestyle and being close to family would soften the blow. At the moment it really is just a consideration. I have seen that the constabulary I am interested in is currently accepting applications from another police force  (international or not, not specified).

Looking through the previous threads there appears to be a lack of morale amongst the troops which I find to be a bit disconcerting. Is the job in blighty as stuffed as people make out? I mean the job isn't perfect here but I'm sure there are positives??? 

We're bobbies so we're always moaning and always saying that moral is dropping but I think that these concerns have more substance now than ever before.  We have gone through 5 years of  ill thought 'reforms', pay freezes and under inflation pay rises, budget cuts and job cuts, anti police hysteria from the media and HMG, which has taken its toll. The government has been trying to apply free market principles to the police whilst failing to acknowledge that we don't work in a free market way and therefore those principles aren't relevant to us. 

Not yet.:tongue_cheek:

Seriously though, I love my job but there is a massive amount of anti police BS floating around.  I can accept that from some of the buffoons we police but the lack of support from HMG annoys me.

Just found out they are not accepting transferees from an international force and that I would have to apply as a fresh faced recruit and go through probation again. With all the things I'm reading about amount of staff most response teams are working with this seems like a very short sighted policy, but from what I'm reading on here perhaps I have dodged a bullet.

Cheers,

• Like 1