Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

Learner Drivers

It has been proposed that all learner drivers may be required to undergo training using motorways with guidance of 'approved' imstructors. Well they have been doing it for at least 35 years in Germany, Belgium and possibly other countries on the Continent. It is about time that they got to grips with it here. There is also a proposal for a minimum number of hours under qualified instructors before they are allowed to undertake the test.

However I think they are only going part way and that also that only driving schools should be allowed to take learner drivers out and not allow family and friends to act as accompanying experenced passengers. There are some poor 'qualified' instructors on the roads  - we have all seen their gaffs I am sure, but there are al whole mountain of shocking drivers who will pass on their bad habits to learners.

Now that they appear (possibly) to be getting to grips with the incidence of badly trained drivers, how about limiting the type of car to one with a low maximum power output or engine size, similar in principal to that young motorcyclists are required to have.

It would have to be with an instructor otherwise 'experienced' but unqualified drivers will impart poor practices at an even faster rate to the newly qualified driver.

The Motorway aspect is only to allow them to learn with a qualified instructor with dual controls. Not everywhere in the country has ready access to the Motorway Network. Eg Dyfed Powis, Western North Wales, Scotish Highlands.

As for restricting vehicles, its already a farce with the Motorcycle categories and determining output at the roadside. Eg more or less than 35kw ???

How do you determine a car with so many variants within even a single make group eg Corsa, Focus etc

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Most dealerships have full access to vehicle types, power outputs and performance for vehicles going back at least 25 years.  I know that the records for one of my 2  BMW motorcycles are stored and can be accessed at any BMW dealership with the frame number. I found out that the oldest which is a 30 yr old bike, was 1st registered in Germany in May 1986  when I asked about a factory recall in 1990 concerning the brakes. I had no idea it was an 'import'.

Yes information is a bit raggy around the edges, with some details a bit sketchy, but there is no reason why secondary legislation cannot be introduced to make accurate information available to all forces on demand. It is already available for Insurance Companies when you call them about quotes, they have VERY detailed information so they can base their figures on this info.

Edited by BIkerider

Most dealerships have full access to vehicle types, power outputs and performance for vehicles going back at least 25 years.  I know that the records for one of my 2  BMW motorcycles are stored and can be accessed at any BMW dealership with the frame number. I found out that the oldest which is a 30 yr old bike, was 1st registered in Germany in May 1986  when I asked about a factory recall in 1990 concerning the brakes. I had no idea it was an 'import'.
Yes information is a bit raggy around the edges, with some details a bit sketchy, but there is no reason why secondary legislation cannot be introduced to make accurate information available to all forces on demand. It is already available for Insurance Companies when you call them about quotes, they have VERY detailed information so they can base their figures on this info.

Indeed for long drawn out slow time work but 8pm on a Saturday evening?

And like you say "Information is raggy around the edges.." Don't fancy walking into court with that.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

I know the drivers will be heading out with qualified instructors but what about having the instructors doing another test to say they are 'safe and legal' to teach someone how to drive on motorways. Like a pas plus qualification or similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I recently sat in with my daughter whilst she was learning to drive. She'd had numerous lessons and isn't what you'd call a natural driver, but she had to learn to drive. It cost her a fortune, but me sitting in with her as she drove to and from work gave her enough confidence to take the test and pass it, which freed me up to go and take care of my dying father. That was desperately necessary.

Make it too difficult for people to learn to drive properly and some won't bother with that as well as insurance.

Maybe any test should literally consist of a day's course with a safety assessment at the end. A newly qualified driver should still be in the learning groove so to speak. In my experience it's drivers who have been driving a while who cause the problems on the motorways especially older middle lane hoggers.

A days motorway course ranging from sitting in traffic, to visiting the services. But realistically people need to be shown how the motorway works. And that a red x on a gantry means don't pass in that lane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to know why some drivers on "(mis) managed" motorways think the red X or the speed limits don't apply to them. HGV drivers in particular.

I have taken 5 neighbours children out for driving lessons.  All were having lessons from approved driving schools. I would start out by telling them just to be patient and drive. It did not take long to identify that they all had some terrible driving habits which would have hastened a failure. Car sympathy was lacking and they would happily hit a pot hole at 30 or even 40 mph even though it was clearly visible. Passing parked vehicles with inches to spare, and speed limits seemed to be advisory. Two days before his test one had done no reversing at all. We spent 2 hours one afternoon doing nothing but reversing. 

I am glad to say that all passed their test. As part of their driving courses the Instructors took then out for 1 hour on motorway driving.  As Traffic Rat says there are parts of the country that do not have access to Motorways but it again seems like poor planning.

One of the worst examples is smart motorways turning the hard shoulder into a fourth lane at certain times. I often wonder if it was an experienced driver who thought that one up. I don not think that safety ever came into their thoughts or access for emergency vehicles.