Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

His 1st diplomatic error

This is Donald Trump's 1st major diplomatic cock-up when he accepted a call from the president of Taiwan. Since 1979 there has been a diplomatic agreement between America and mainland China, in that there will be no direct contact between America and Taiwan.

China still maintains a claim to Taiwan and considers it to be a break away province of mainland China. At present it seems that this fo-par will be contained by a strong diplomatic protest from China, but there have been veiled threats if matters are not put right. What exactly this means is not clear.

Apparently there is also an agreement that if mainland China attacks Taiwan, America is bound to come to it's defence.

He is not yet the President, so what is he going to be like when he does take the seat of power? A very dangerous man indeed, stumbling blind through the corridors of diplomatic protocol. The world needs him like the Ebola Virus.

Or maybe he just decided... I will talk to whoever the **** I want and I'm not going to be bullied....Maybe.

He might have done that when he was a businessman and did what he liked, because whatever he did had no real fallout - he could always go somewhere else to do business with.

He's a politician now, and what he says, who he talks to, and stuff he decides, has real cosequences for people around the world, including Americans..........

He can't go around like a stereotypical American, shouting and blustering his way to the front of the queue, pissing everybody else off in the process.  He just can't.  His actions have consequences.

This bloke needs to wake up and pay attention to his advisors, or at least to those advisors who actually know something about foreign relations.  Otherwise, he's going to royally pee off countries who the US need to do business with.  Or he's going to destablise a region.

He might have done that when he was a businessman and did what he liked, because whatever he did had no real fallout - he could always go somewhere else to do business with.

He's a politician now, and what he says, who he talks to, and stuff he decides, has real cosequences for people around the world, including Americans..........

He can't go around like a stereotypical American, shouting and blustering his way to the front of the queue, pissing everybody else off in the process.  He just can't.  His actions have consequences.

This bloke needs to wake up and pay attention to his advisors, or at least to those advisors who actually know something about foreign relations.  Otherwise, he's going to royally pee off countries who the US need to do business with.  Or he's going to destablise a region.

Yes he needs to make sure his moves are calculated and not just off the cuff. But you are assuming a lot of things here- That he isn't listening to his advisors and that he hasn't thought about the consequences.

Perhaps he feels that taking a phone call is a subtle message to China. Perhaps he feels the real issue is not talking to Taiwan but the fact that it is rather strange that the actual powers that be in the U.S (the ones that backed Clinton coincidentally) sell weapons to Taiwan and that is ok but taking a phone call from them is not.

Perhaps there is a rather large elephant in the room and Trump just pointed the world at it. Perhaps the media which have been against him all along just want to paint this self made billionaire as a buffoon because he is dismantling the power base of the people that pay them.

I am watching him with interest. If he is doing what I think he's doing I think he is going to upset some very powerful people and I hope the secret service are up to the task.

Or perhaps he's just dumb and he just doesn't think about anything like all those entirely reliable media outlets say.

HMS

Edited by HMService

Trump used Twitter overnight to criticise Chinese currency policy and the building of artificial islands in the South China Sea.  Whatever the rights of wrongs of his argument I really don't think that Twitter is the ideal format for comments on foreign policy or indeed an policy, and it certainly shouldn't be used by someone who needs to look like a President in the run up to his inauguration.  

• Like 1

Do not be misled by the Chinese "anger" at Trump taking a call from the President of Taiwan. There is significant business going on between Taiwan and the Mainland. It suits PRC to have Taiwan as it is otherwise it would already have invaded and secured the island. The irony of the divide is that both sides fought the Japanese and it was a tussle for power between Chiang-Kai-Shek  and Mao Tse Tung rather than outright politics (the were both followers of Sun Yat Sen - the father of Chinese independence from the dynastic Emperors). there will be  lot of hot-air but it will not amount to much. On the other hand, the British Government deploying the Royal Navy to patrol the South China Sea (when it should be in Home Water defending the country's borders) has really p#ssed-off the PRC - I suspect because they thought they had good working relations in the anti-piracy patrols in the Indian Ocean.

All-in-all, it is often difficult to fathom the actions of politicians - in fact, I think it may be the case that they don't know what they are doing but feel the need to do something - a bit like a novice chess-player! ;)

• Like 2

OAH. Trump is not a politician so fathoming out what he is thinking or doing would be even more difficult. He  is a businessman who has been bankrupt at least twice so not even a good businessman and should never ever have been given the privilege of taking up the Office of President of the USA. Putting it politely he is an utter buffoon.

• Like 1

OAH. Trump is not a politician so fathoming out what he is thinking or doing would be even more difficult. He  is a businessman who has been bankrupt at least twice so not even a good businessman and should never ever have been given the privilege of taking up the Office of President of the USA. Putting it politely he is an utter buffoon.

Well he is a billionaire and has done it, like Branson, on other people's money. He is bereft of knowledge, according to his detractors, that he has managed to pay the IRSD diddly squat whilst living in the lap of luxury, funding a multi million dollar election campaign and having a rather large private luxury airliner.

He may be loathsome but he is not stupid. I would also add neither is he President material but he was the Americans first choice, even though it was a Hobson's choice.. 

Trump used Twitter overnight to criticise Chinese currency policy and the building of artificial islands in the South China Sea. Whatever the rights of wrongs of his argument I really don't think that Twitter is the ideal format for comments on foreign policy or indeed an policy, and it certainly shouldn't be used by someone who needs to look like a President in the run up to his inauguration.

Twitter is arguably THE communication channel of the age- you can say he shouldn't be using it but I disagree. The people have become very tuned in to social media- if he wants to make an instant point without it being corrupted by newspapers he can just do it. He is an evolutionary stage in politics- yes like all of them he might kill us all but he seems to see the same shadow I do over the globe and he is looking it in the eye and giving it the finger. He might be crass and un PC, he might not be traditionally statesmanlike, but he has got one hell of a set of balls and any suggestion that he is stupid is in my view naive.

Calling him stupid likely means you can't see the pattern in what he is doing and are buying into the media picture.

Did anyone notice we've gone from being on the verge of WW3 to Russia talking about normalising relations with the US, in a matter of weeks? He fixed the equivalent of the Cuban missile crisis and he isn't even in the White House yet.... but we are saying he's stupid because he users twitter and took a phone call? Maybe he's a LOT smarter than people think and he just doesn't give a monkeys about what people think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he's a LOT smarter than people think and he just doesn't give a monkeys about what people think...

For somebody who doesn't give a monkeys what people think, he sure has threatened a lot of them with lawyers and being sued.

But of course he doesn't care what people think - isn't he a bit of a narcissist?

I'm not saying he's not vain. Nor am I saying he's a nice guy- I don't know him. Threatening to sue is the only thing that keeps corrupt media in check however. The argument is- is he stupid? I say clearly not.

Again you are assuming he is taking an emotional approach rather than rational. He might have cared what the electorate believed about him during the campaign... things are somewhat different now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by HMService