Sign in to follow this  
Zulu 22

Bristow - Free Speak or Villification

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3985114/If-darts-d-stick-sun-don-t-shine-Abuse-victim-s-mother-calls-Eric-Bristow-offensive-man-earth-FINALLY-apologises-calling-raped-young-footballers-wimps.html

What did Eric Bristow say. Is he allowed to express an opinion. Police are investigating it as a Hate Crime?   Is free speech permitted or not.

I was the victim of an attempted sexual abuse as a 15 years old by a youth leader.  He got a Black eye and a bloodied nose, was I a bully?  If my elder brother had known he would have killed him.

I also played for a football clubs youth team from the age of 11 to 19 years of age. The Coach was a bachelor and a Scout leader and at no time was there any suggestion of any inappropriate behaviour so not all coaches are abusers.

We all know that there are some people who are abusers, but thankfully they are in a minority.  It is a pity that the abused have not come forward at an early stage, but it does happen.

Edited by Zulu 22

He is permitted to say what he wants but I would have thought he would have displayed a little more tact or thought in his recent pronouncements.  I also think that Twitter is a stupid medium to use to try to get a serious argument across given its limited message length, so even if there had been more to his opinion than just 'man up' he wouldn't have been able to say so.  Overall I think his opinion sucks and he was stupid to say what he did.

• Like 1

Eric Bristow made comments which in my personal view, like a lot of twitter comments have absolutely no value what so ever. Because of this, I will place him in the same class of stupidity as Donald Trump. In his case, it is because of his (Trump's) comments where he allegedly admitted indecently assaulting a number of women.

As for being a hate crime?

Possibly some well meaning solicitor would say so, but whether or not it fits the definition of the offence, I don't know. As I said before it had no value and something that should have kept to himself. If the shoe had been on the other foot, would he be so quick to dissmiss what must have been a traumatic time for the alleged victims

• Like 2

I disagree completely with the words that he used but, lets face not many sportsmen are academics. I cannot believe that the Police are even considering investigating it as a hate crime, We (they) have better things to do. 

We may disagree with what he says but surely he has the right to say it. I can follow some of his points, but sometimes people do not report things for various reasons. It is strange that, so far, only crimes are being reported by a male coach on male players. No mention, so far of coaches committing offences against women, but having said that one could assume that this does, and has, happened.

So far they are, perhaps, labelling the attacks as paedophile attacks, yet the youths were in their teens, even late teams. It might be that they turn out to be sexual homosexual attacks on boys by a closet homosexual; who knows?

It was also reported today that the offender concerned, Bennell, has been arrested and charged. From that I can only assume that an investigation was already under way, as for this to come out and investigated to the point of charging would be a remarkable achievement in the space of 48 hours. 

• Like 1

OK, I guess I got the wrong end of the stick with this story then.

I thought the issues with what he said were that he used the word 'poof' to describe the paedophile who abused these young boys, and that he suggested that had it happened to him, when he had grown up, he'd have hunted down the person who had abused him, and done him some harm - rather than tell people what had happened to him.  In that way, he was suggesting that darts-players were more men than footballers.  Because this sort of thing is all about being manly...................no, wait.........

'Poof', to my way of thinking, is a generational word, I don't know anybody under 40 who would use that word.  Not publicly anyway.  I don't even know whether it's the sort of word that is used ironically within the gay community, like the N word is used between some black people.  I wouldn't begin to even think about asking somebody for fear of offending them........but to be fair, my understanding is that it's offensive to gay people, so that pretty much is all I need to know.

I find the subjects of race, sexism, homophobia et al, to all be ones which are (generally) just best not commented on in case I inadvertently say something that upsets somebody, somewhere.  That sort of stuff can be career-limiting and job-losing.  SO best not mentioned.

And that sort of attitude, doesn't help progress anything, but it's that sort of attitude that has been created by those who are possibly as intolerant as those who would have those sort of negative attitudes in the first place.

Don't ban me from saying something, discuss with me, debate and educate me.  Or just point at me and call me a name.  Because one is easier than the others.

I'd say that stopping people using certain words hasn't done much to promote equality.  What it's done is enabled a veneer of "we don't tolerate that sort of behaviour", over how people act publicly.  People still harbor prejudices, just nowadays they know better than to publicise them, or speak them in the workplace.

I think we still work in a society where you're allowed to have personal opinions on anything, as long as those personal opinions don't affect how you deal with people you might have an opinion about.  Twitter allows people to do all sorts of things, including display gaps in a person's education, level of intelligance, or tolerance of others.

Hang on.  There's a knock at the door.........oh it's Professional Standards..........they want to interview me about being a sexist, racist, homophobic bigot...........I'm honestly not, but there is always somebody waiting in the wings to be offended. :tongue_cheek:

• Like 2

As someone said recently:- You can stop me from doing something. You can stop me from saying something, but you cannot stop me thinking about something. Bristow, I feel should have listened to that and not made himself look like a bit of a prat by using (un)social media.

• Like 2

Social media is a curse for simpletons. Perhaps that is why M.P.s do it all the time. I know several Police Officer's who do it and show themselves up in the process. It us not only the lower ranks, but senior level also. How many Forces have twitter accounts, which need someone to run and service them at what financial cost?

My local Force actually tweet of PCSOs holding meetings and doing speed checks etc. Nothing about officers doing them. You can read about them on twitter but cannot find one on the street. What about the elderly, and the like who do not have access.

Many make tweets like Bristow with disastrous results.

• Like 1

I think we all know that the target that the remarks are directed are towards media like Twitter and to some degree Farcebook. Almost completely uncontrolled, or should I say already out of control!

• Like 1

Twitter is for the mindless vipers and those so feckless that they crave publicity. Facebook is basically a good idea but can be misused by the idiots who seem to pervade society. I believe that Snapchat is another but I have no personal knowledge of it.

It is surprising how many criminals have served themselves up on a plate by stupid use. Even prisoners serving sentences publishing photo's and other things when they are using contraband appliances.