Sign in to follow this  
IveToldYouOnce

Parking........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-38102904

So.  We're sorry we parked badly.

There's no context - did they dump the van there because they were at a job that needed them urgently?

Did they intentionally park like that because they were about to move a prisoner around the van - and to park next to somebody's car while moving a struggling prisoners is just asking for damage to be done to it.

By the looks of the white car on the left, it was on it's bay line, so if the van had parked in the bay, inside the lines, then the passenger would have struggled to get out without hitting it. So the driver, appears, to have parked away from it and straddled two bays.  Not ideal, but if he didn't have time to drive around for a more appropriate place to park, then what's he to do?

Actually.  Sod it.  Yes.  That's what I'll do in future.  Park in the bay, properly, no matter where other people's cars are parked.

Then move a prisoner around the van, in cuffs, and if they happen to damage the car I've parked next to, I'll call my sergeant and he can sort out the mess.  It won't be my fault.  But parking 'poorly' would get me told off.

Can't win.  Park so as not to damage other people's cars, wrong.  Park in the bay then have other people's cars damaged, wrong.  Or I'll just open my door into other people's car doors - 'Top Gear' style.  Call the Sergeant, he can come down and sort out the mess.

The Chief is right, when we get stuff wrong we should apologise - and I wonder if he has the complete context relating to this 'incident'............or if he just doesn't care...........

I just wonder what made it a story that the BBC felt should be aired by them - a slow news day or some subliminal anti-Police attitudes that broke out into the open? Maybe I am just being a cynic  :tongue_cheek:

To be quite honest, look at the width of the vehicle and compare this to the width of the marked parking places! I think no matter where the van had been parked, it would have made little difference. Try to park in the space on the left and the access to that car is restricted and the passenger in the police van would not be able to get out. Park over on the right hand bay and the space to the left would be unusable except for a motorcycle, and the driver would not be able to get out. 

Talk about rock and a hard place - come on be reasonable! If this is all that the person who took the picture has to grumble about in his/her little world then they need to get out a bit more and think about possible circumstances why something has happened not lead with both feet.

There is a minimum recommended width for car spaces in a car park and these must be absolutely, exactly on that minimum limit. It has has been suggested that now, with some vehicles actually as wide as this limit (not counting the van)they (The RAC) meaning larger 4x4's, it is time that this minimum width was increased.

• Like 2

To be honest the story does not say why the van was parked in that position. There could have been a perfectly legitimate reason, likewise there could have equally have been contempt, idleness or whatever other reason.

The whole story smacks of a poor news day, as someone else has stated.

• Like 2

Again we have what is probably a picture taken on a mobile phone by someone who thought he had found the scoop of the week, We don't know where this is or even if it were possible to maneouvre the van to park tail end in. One of our smaller nicks had cramped parking so reversing out was the only way to park if we needed to get out quickly on a shout.

Another thing with the BBC report  

The Chief doesnt say how he came across the photo ......just that he had stuck this photo up and commented on Twitter.

Was this taken by a member of the public    or does Chiefy himself go prowling round local carparks hoping to spot poorly parked police vehicles so he can make a petty point.

Surely a quiet word in the shell like earole of the person that parked the vehicle and an explanation would have been more appropriate.

Edited by toffeewrapper
  • Like 1

The CC is trying to make an appeasement point. This particular brand of appeasement demonstrates that he is hopelessly out of touch with the mood of the public and his own officers, and still more damningly what is likely to reflect well vs poorly on his Constabulary. Nice attempt at leadership but effort fell far below what should be expected of someone at his level. Dire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And nobody knows why the vehicle was parked there. Just bone idleness, or, we're officers attending a robbery in progress or other urgent call.

• Like 1