Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo2487

Ill health advice

Can anyone advise.

Was diagnosed 3.5 yrs ago with fibromyalgia. Been on restricted duties since.

Have just been turned down for ill health on the question of permanence. (This was appealed/rejected).

Now found out I am being shunted from my current role due to my ill health, probably to a hid away office role...am obviously gutted.

Does anyone know what/if I have any options/rights etc.

Are there rules of where I can be moved--does there have to be a career path//are you allowed to submit a second ill health retirement request?

Am a bit miffed that I can be fit to suit/but also unfit to suit...feel between rock and a hard place.

Just wandered if anyone had been in a similar position?

Thanks.

I would advise you to consult the Federation as I am out of date with the latest legislation. I find it unbelievable that they have questioned "Permenance". Mt wife suffers from Fibrosis Myalgia and has been informed that there is no cure. They have now spent about 5 years trying out various pain relief treatments, so far without success. I do not mean to alarm you but that is medical fact. I find it hard to see how you could not have won an appeal. As far as I can remember you can re apply on the grounds of the condition worsening. As I say seek advice from your federation and see if they will even fund legal advice. I know that in the GMP the Federation organise free legal advice sessions from their solicitors,

I do not know your Force, so circumstances can vary from one to another. Sometimes it is just a ploy by the Force to save money.

Not too helpful but I hope it gives a little help.

It's so frustrating that they do not acknowledge research on the condition. It all says the condition worsens as you get older. The attacks happen more frequently and take longer to recover from and the pain is never fully gone. I have suffered from it since my 30's, fortunately I managed until I was retired on an eye issue and never had to use it even though it brought me to my knees many times! The last fitness test I did aged 51 left me shaking for a whole day afterwards, but I passed it.

I was retired with CFS in 2007 a similar condition but they reckon you can recover from it. I didn't. I wonder if your force think they are the same?

Have you got a rheumatologist who could write a report re permenance?

Hi Jimbo I have just been medicated out last month Fibro as one of two conditions deemed to be permanent and unfit for duty.