Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

Not Again!

I saw in the 'Sun on Sunday tabloid today (no I didn't buy it, it was in a pub for patrons)There was an article on page 3 about the tram crash in Croydon, which killed 7 people and injured up to 50 more. This investigation seems to have take an unexpected twist following recovery of the mobile phone belonging to the driver. It was showing a half typed text message which was being written at the time of the crash. If this is true then with 7 deaths, each amounting to manslaughter then he deserves nothing than less than imprisonment for life.

There is also an offence of 'Endangering the safety of persons on the Railway which is contrary to a couple of the lesser used sections of the Offences Against The Person Act 1861 S34 &35 which would cover the injuries to other persons who were also Involved.The penalties arehowever quite lenient. = 2 yrs Imp

Interviews on the TV news last week had more than one person stating that speed limits were regularly exceeded. If that is true the operating company needs to take a good long look at it's training methods both during and after qualification and must therefore surely take some of the blame for this tragedy......................................................

Unconnected with this, but similar and getting all too familiar, the head-on train crash in Germany this year when a driver did not heed an in-cab warning has admitted to German Authorities that he was also using his mobile 'phone at the time. I don't know if it has been to court yet but it will be interesting to see what his penalty will be.

Don't ask me, I was just as surprised, but if it should be correct then it is damning.

Here is the link. https://www.thesun.co.uk/

Scroll down though loads of crap to about 3/4 of the way. Click on the topic and it opens up with more information about the incident.

• Like 1

Of course, if it's not true.............

Whoever has leaked that should be ashamed of themselves - the investigation isn't complete.......

Whenever journalists have turned up at crashes I've been to, they've not been told anything........and I wouldn't tell one anything about any investigation I was part of............

• Like 1

I have just checked the BTP website and there is some information on there issued by the DCC but no mention about a 'phone, but that info is a day or two old..

Like you we used to treat the press like lepers and say nothing to them.

• Like 1

If they are like Nottingham trams, I think they will be 100% driver controlled, with no on-track over-ride systems in place - trams not being the same as trains, in that respect. We have some pretty tight turns, both in the country sections and in the town, as have many others, and an accident like this, with no trackside over-ride, could be foreseen. No doubt lessons will be learnt, but too late.

They will have something akin to what used to be called a "Dead Mans Handle" where, when the tram is in motion, unless pressure is constantly applied whilst the vehicle is moving, the motor will cut out. They have been fitted to all trams/electric trains since the 1920's and possibly before.

It hasn't always been hand operated, sometimes the driver has a foot pedal.

It has just been given out that the tram that crashed had been travelling at 43.5mph in the 12pmh speed limit area for the curve. There was no fault found with the two car tram's braking system either. As they have been very precise with the speed, I'm assuming there must be some form of black box linked to the operating system.

It has just been given out that the tram that crashed had been travelling at 43.5mph in the 12pmh speed limit area for the curve. There was no fault found with the two car tram's braking system either. As they have been very precise with the speed, I'm assuming there must be some form of black box linked to the operating system.

Perhaps this is just another indication (if any were needed) that things go out of control when a driver (of car, tram, train etc) is distracted by using a mobile. It's a very high cost in human life for someone to apparently be keeping in touch with someone! So very sad.

Mind you, I wonder id people generally underestimate the danger from trams. The online manchester Evening News is always reporting delays and suspended tram services due to collisions with motor vehicles and, even with my infrequent trips home, I've seen many a near-miss between pedestrian and trams in Manchester city centre.

No mention of a mobile in the release, just excessive speed. In Manchester, or elsewhere trams are dangerous. It is impossible for them to make an emergency stop, I. e. speed, weight, friction tell etc.

Now we have video evidence (shown on the news today) of a Croydon tram driver nodding off which was recorded last April. He has since been suspended. It makes you think that quite possibly these two incidents are not the only ones that had happened`? Does this point to an extreme lack of efficient supervision by management?

(I recall a similar incident 1993 when a train driven by an intoxicted driver fell asleep and hit Tattenham Corner railway station at some speed (literally)

The driver survived and was tested for alcohol and his blood alcohol content some 3 hours after the crash was found to be 3.2 times the legal limit.)