skydiver

The Secret Life of Prisons

C4 Thurs 21.00   :fear: and presumably on 4OD soon.

I've only just switched it on I can't believe what prisoners do to each other to get hold or drugs.

What is portrayed in the programme isn't good for prisoners and it isn't good for the few staff who remain working.  I don't care how badly anyone thinks a prisoner should be treated but there is no way that this could be seen as a positive situation.  Prisoners need education, they need to be treated with humanity and they need a positive environment or otherwise they will come out worse than they went in and with no skills or prospects.

This programme comes in the week when the government finally acknowledged that the prison service need more staff and today's news was saying that the number of staff leaving currently outnumber the numbers being recruited.

I didn't watch it but saw it was on. There was an announcement today that the Prison service are loosing more staff than they are able to recruit. The shortfall now stands at 1900 personel. Even if I was of working age, that is the last job I would contemplate.

• Like 2

It appears that prisoners more or less do as they like in today's prison system.

HMG needs to make restoring some form of order in our penal establishments a priority and I believe that can only be done by recruiting large numbers of well remunerated staff and giving them the full support and backing of the law. 

• Like 1

It appears that prisoners more or less do as they like in today's prison system.

HMG needs to make restoring some form of order in our penal establishments a priority and I believe that can only be done by recruiting large numbers of well remunerated staff and giving them the full support and backing of the law. 

Also that the Prison staff are given respect and authority to do their jobs. Any prisoner, oops sorry client, disrespecting should have time added onto their sentence. Prisoners should obey the prison rules or suffer the loss of privileges. I would rather that they have no privileges but can gain them by behaviour and compliance.

• Like 2

Which should apply to Policing too, prison officers aren't the only ones who feel they have lost control

• Like 1

Which should apply to Policing too, prison officers aren't the only ones who feel they have lost control

I agree. For many years successive governments have ignored the safety and well-being of those involved at the sharp end of the Criminal Justice system and have relied on the good-will of police and prison officers and the fact that many are willing to go that extra mile to ensure that the system continues to work to some extent.    

• Like 1

I wonder what the reason is that stops both the police and prison service being able to do their jobs without the interference and  involvement of shiny arsed pen pushers, that dilutes down all the work that is done for for the good people of this country. Is it that those interfering with the jobs have no idea what it is like. They are making decisions without consultation with those who actually know what is happening and the current trends as to what may happen.

I Know!...............................................

They seem to rely upon paper evidence gathered by minions rather than actually getting out there and seeing for themselves what goes on. The whole situation is currently held together with a couple of band-aids and a cable tie or two. Paper evidence in the form of a written report  with a generous sprinkling of spread sheet statistics is NOT a substitute for actually being there. A carefully typed report can be and probably is written with a personal egenda,  if not a personal agenda, slanted one way or another or are just downright incorrect. (A euphamism for lies).

HMG is said to be actively looking at the legal side of the walkout which has been designated a strike, which under current law is illegal. OK! Who then carries the can for breaking this law? As a good many of the others on this forum may feel, HMG's duty of care to their employees in both services, is falling far short of the bare minimum.

HMG is said to be actively looking at the legal side of the walkout which has been designated a strike, which under current law is illegal. OK! Who then carries the can for breaking this law? As a good many of the others on this forum may feel, HMG's duty of care to their employees in both services, is falling far short of the bare minimum.

It comes to something when the prison officer's decide to break the law in order to highlight the dangers they are facing at work.

You'd rather break the law than carry on working in a dangerous conditions...........one might suggest that HMG don't give a crap about prison officers.

• Like 1

Just put the Justice Minister into a Prison and say, "Live in this environment for 24 hours". Shewould soon change her tune. The PC, bleeding heart liberal do Gooders have a lot to answer for in the prison system. No respect, no disciple, no security and gross under manning. Anybody recognise these symptoms.

• Like 3

Shaking my head in utter disbelief..........

P.S. The courts have ordered the Prison Officers back to work. What will they do if they refuse - sack them all - now that will be a bit of a problem even if they are held in contempt. What are they going to do put them all in prison? The Union hasn't called a strike so they cannot be held responsible so I would think it is down to each individual.

Jeeezzzzz! This world gets more insane every day

Well there are not enough Police Officer's to do another "Operation Container". They are just daft enough to order early release of prisoners to put the lawless back on the streets.

• Like 1

Well there are not enough Police Officer's to do another "Operation Container". They are just daft enough to order early release of prisoners to put the lawless back on the streets.

Having never been a bleeding-heart liberal myself, my solution is - lock-down for all inmates. They can have food delivered each day and as most of the prisons seem to have en-suite wc's and TVs - they can get on with their lives. Unless any illness is life-threatening, they can grin & bear it. Actually, let me stop talking nonsense - all third offenders should be put down as should any first offender convicted of violence at or above the level of ABH. Quick and simple - one immediate appeal and then fast-tracked for execution. Yes, I know there may be mistakes but you cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs.  I can hear the nay-sayers now - "what about their human rights?" Indeed - and what about the human rights of their victims? Those convicted of crimes have forfeited them by their actions disregarding the norms and standards of society and the rights of their fellow men & women..

We live in turbulent times; so maybe extreme situations demand extreme reactions.

As regards the question posed by Bikerider, "I wonder what the reason is that stops both the police and prison service being able to do their jobs without the interference and  involvement of shiny arsed pen pushers?" I am beginning to wonder if it is the leadership of these services that is at fault. Perhaps in the old days of Chief Constables and Prison Governors who were often ex-Armed Forces, the force of their personalities stopped the "shiny-arsed pen-pushers" in their tracks. Today's crop of senior officers seem to be more attuned to their political masters and prison governors are more social work administrators that leaders. Another construction might well be that the "shiny-arsed pen-pushers" had also been to war; so they weren't quick like the smart-arsed pen-pushers of today but had learned their lessons in the school of hard-knocks.

All a bit reactionary I suppose but I get sick and tired of hearing about how the system has to adjust to deal with the dross who seem to think society is theirs to plunder and use as they wish!  :tongue_cheek:

• Like 1

Perhaps it is time that the country converted to Islam. We would have a lot of one armed, one legged eunuchs in prison and ouside on the streets. We could also have no arms, no legs, and even beheadings in the market place, say on a Saturday morning.

Those in prison's are there because they deserve to be there and some have had to commit dozens of offences before they get there. As far as women are concerned they have to commit hundreds of offences to earn a Prison cell.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is time that the country converted to Islam. We would have a lot of one armed, one legged eunuchs in prison and ouside on the streets. We could also have no arms, no legs, and even beheadings in the market place, say on a Saturday morning.

Those in prison's are there because they deserve to be there and some have had to commit dozens of offences before they get there. As far as women are concerned they have to commit hundreds of offences to earn a Prison cell.

No need to change religions, Z'. It would be sufficient to return to medieval Christian punishments - just as draconian :tongue_cheek:

• Like 2

No need to change religions, Z'. It would be sufficient to return to medieval Christian punishments - just as draconian :tongue_cheek:

They would be just as welcome.  Anyone seen the "Scholes Bridle". 

There are 2 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE