Ygnharad

Facebook & other social media

Hey folks,

Firstly, allow me to start - I'm the generation that started with Bebo, Myspace, Facebook and all the other ones. I want to apologise for that, yeah, some of us know we messed up.

I've got to the age now (no offense to those older!) that I absolutely detest Facebook, I hate how much information there is online about people and how easy it is to contact people without concern for further repercussion. In fact, the only reason I use Facebook these days is to read up on Police Humour Pages! 

My better half is an avid user on the other hand. If she's not driving, eating or sleeping, you can put money on it that she's on Facebook and with that, I somehow signed an agreement (Don't ask me when, probably when I signed the agreement to do the cooking, dishes and general cleaning) that if there's something happening, I absolutely, without question, to not even think of it, have to tag us both in a picture and upload it. 

I wouldn't be so concerned about it if you had to be my a friend to view my page. Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to make my page invisible for everyone who is not on my friends list. 

So how do I go about this? Just get rid of Facebook? Anyone know of any secret 'Block Everyone' button? What's your views on social media? 

Facebook causes the police a lot of problems but its also a good tool to use.  We deal with a lot of playground name calling harassment by people using social media although there are genuine cases of serious trolling as well.  FB also shows would be burglars when people are away or that they have bough the latest gucci accessory, and it can show peoples regular movements which could potentially aid a serious attack.  It can also help us because of some of those things as it can give evidence of relationships or even show when people have been bragging after an assault or robbery.

You can restrict your privacy settings to 'just me' by going to the padlock icon on the top right hand side.  It can show you what people can see about you and how you can restrict access.  Restricting your profile though will only do half the job if your partner continually posts about you and what they are doing.

• Like 1

There's a question.

I don't 'do' Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media sites (unless you include this one as social media).  Why would you want to give random strangers an insight into your life?

You can't control any images posted by your mates that might have you in them, you might not tell anybody that you're a cop, but your friends pretty much will and, by association, everybody will know that you are.

Any interaction you have with the public they can find out your name, and then Facebook-stalk you.  Or your mates.  You can find out all sorts of information - the easiest perhaps useful bit of information would be your birthday, based upon somebody posting a 'Happy Birthday' message for all and sundry to see.

What we do is serious, if you crash the car at work and hurt/kill somebody, then somebody, somewhere will find a photo of you with a massive grin on your face, and you'll be portrayed as an uncaring officer, laughing while others are going through hell.  But I guess you'll at least see yourself grinning back at you from the paper - if that's what you want.

Or look at it like this, if there are pictures posted on the net of you enjoying yourself, and then something happens at work that requires in investigation (or anything really) that the media decides they want to follow, then images of you will be used for whatever whim or story takes them.

They'll find an unflattering one, of you looking sad, angry, drunk, stupid, whatever, and use it - almost always to your detriment.

My mates know what I'm doing in my life, their mates don't need to know what I'm doing.  My mum knows what's going on in my life, her knitting group doesn't need to be able to say to her "Oh, I see your son was doing x at the weekend".  Not Their Business.

Whilst I see the benefits that could be gained, generally, I see it as a massively intrusive (if you allow it to be) insight into your private life.  For the police to gain that sort of insight into your life would probably require some sort of RIPA authorisation - and yet people throw their lives into the public arena willy nilly.

I've no idea whether you can block all but your mates, but even if you can, can you stop their mates looking at their mates (i.e. you).

And if you lock it down so much so that only two people can interact with you, is it worth it?

• Like 2

There's a question.

I don't 'do' Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media sites (unless you include this one as social media). Why would you want to give random strangers an insight into your life?

You can't control any images posted by your mates that might have you in them, you might not tell anybody that you're a cop, but your friends pretty much will and, by association, everybody will know that you are.

Any interaction you have with the public they can find out your name, and then Facebook-stalk you. Or your mates. You can find out all sorts of information - the easiest perhaps useful bit of information would be your birthday, based upon somebody posting a 'Happy Birthday' message for all and sundry to see.

What we do is serious, if you crash the car at work and hurt/kill somebody, then somebody, somewhere will find a photo of you with a massive grin on your face, and you'll be portrayed as an uncaring officer, laughing while others are going through hell. But I guess you'll at least see yourself grinning back at you from the paper - if that's what you want.

Or look at it like this, if there are pictures posted on the net of you enjoying yourself, and then something happens at work that requires in investigation (or anything really) that the media decides they want to follow, then images of you will be used for whatever whim or story takes them.

They'll find an unflattering one, of you looking sad, angry, drunk, stupid, whatever, and use it - almost always to your detriment.

My mates know what I'm doing in my life, their mates don't need to know what I'm doing. My mum knows what's going on in my life, her knitting group doesn't need to be able to say to her "Oh, I see your son was doing x at the weekend". Not Their Business.

Whilst I see the benefits that could be gained, generally, I see it as a massively intrusive (if you allow it to be) insight into your private life. For the police to gain that sort of insight into your life would probably require some sort of RIPA authorisation - and yet people throw their lives into the public arena willy nilly.

I've no idea whether you can block all but your mates, but even if you can, can you stop their mates looking at their mates (i.e. you).

And if you lock it down so much so that only two people can interact with you, is it worth it?

Spot on, thanks! I want to get rid of it, maybe make a fake account just to keep up with news on certain pages. I've had a guts full of it as it is! Thanks for that though, it gives a serious insight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never ever had nor wanted an account with farcebook, (Intentional miss-spelling) twitter or anything else similar. This was reinforced following a programme I watched on internet security shown on the BBC a few months ago. Here a professional 'hacker' working for one of the more 'secretive' government organisations was given a name, place of birth and house number only. (not the full address) Then in 40 minutes came back with all manner of quite personal information concerning the 'guinnea pig'. Apart from that 'other' more personal information, other findings included his bank account/sort code, credit balance and the current outstanding value of his mortgage. None of this was obviously released as public information, but the person who's details they had used, confirmed that it was completely accurate.

If someone can do this with scant information like that, with all the junk that is posted on FB and Twitter they could have a field day if they wanted. (and probably do anyway)

Knowing that can be done with Social Media sites in less than an hour, I cannot see what all the fuss was with Identity cards!!!

• Like 2

I have never ever had nor wanted an account with farcebook, (Intentional miss-spelling) twitter or anything else similar. This was reinforced following a programme I watched on internet security shown on the BBC a few months ago. Here a professional 'hacker' working for one of the more 'secretive' government organisations was given a name, place of birth and house number only. (not the full address) Then in 40 minutes came back with all manner of quite personal information concerning the 'guinnea pig'. Apart from that 'other' more personal information, other findings included his bank account/sort code, credit balance and the current outstanding value of his mortgage. None of this was obviously released as public information, but the person who's details they had used, confirmed that it was completely accurate.

If someone can do this with scant information like that, with all the junk that is posted on FB and Twitter they could have a field day if they wanted. (and probably do anyway)

Knowing that can be done with Social Media sites in less than an hour, I cannot see what all the fuss was with Identity cards!!!

It's concerning to say the least. I've made the decision now though, I'll be trying to get rid of my footprint online more. A simply google search reveals almost my full address!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Ygnharad

Dont for get other places such as www.192.com  these places hold open source Electoral roll data,

If you really wnat to reduce your footprint, dont forget these places.

Click on the help pages and goto removal of personal details to see how to get your info removed.

http://www.192.com/help/help-home/

• Like 1

Try googling your Mobile Number. I did so far and after a couple of pages, didn't go any further. Initially there were lists of ISP's the pages of numbers (including mine) What raised my alarm was a the wording 'USE THIS INFORMATION RESPONSIBLY'. It was at this point I closed down.

Why if no more personal info was available did they post that warning?

Dont for get other places such as www.192.com  these places hold open source Electoral roll data,

If you really wnat to reduce your footprint, dont forget these places.

Click on the help pages and goto removal of personal details to see how to get your info removed.

http://www.192.com/help/help-home/

I have initially sent 192 an Email to remove this information, but it was simply disregarded. Seems a follow up is needed!

Try googling your Mobile Number. I did so far and after a couple of pages, didn't go any further. Initially there were lists of ISP's the pages of numbers (including mine) What raised my alarm was a the wording 'USE THIS INFORMATION RESPONSIBLY'. It was at this point I closed down.

Why if no more personal info was available did they post that warning?

Next on my list! Never thought of searching my tel number!

How about my Land Line. I haven't checked that yet and really cannot be bothered to, but this may be the source of all these spam calls which originate outside the UK

How about my Land Line. I haven't checked that yet and really cannot be bothered to, but this may be the source of all these spam calls which originate outside the UK

Ironically, I was getting a lot of spam calls asking if I've been an accident and assumed it was a spam call when I got contacted by SWP offering me a position. Almost ended up out of a job!

You can't necessarily avoid being 'out there' even without having a social media account. People who know me and have taken photos of me at events have tagged it to two other people with the same name as me who live in the same area.

Even though I have no such account photos of me can be found linked to my name.

I've also wondered about the conversations those 'Reasonable Mans' have had with their nearest and dearest about why they were at those events when they claimed to be elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all seriousness Quokka, you could actually be very surprised.

I'm administrator on another forum and when a new member joins that looks a bit iffy, as a matter of course we always carry out checks on their E mail and if we can find it, their IP number. We do this via a google search and the number of e mail addresses linked to spam would surprise you. Not all of these will be real spammers, but can be 'harvested'  E Mail addressess from unprotected address books that have been hacked.

I have just deleted one this morning who gave his name as Ali Adnan who is I believe a Pakistani cricketer, but the user name he presented to join the other forum, told a different story.

(PS where have you been hiding - no sign of you for several months)

There are 9 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE