Juliusdd

Stuck on the fence..

So I have been wanting to join the police for quite awhile and about 2 months ago did.. I applied for PCSO first waiting around 8 weeks.. No answer so I decided to apply to go to a Special Constable requirement event which is in a few days, Today I open my email and have an interview for becoming a PCSO.. I accepted this and booked an interview slot but Im also attending a specials event.

Two questions, Can i still attend this Specials event which is before my interview and secondly Im looking to one day become a Constable (Real Police officer) which one of the two jobs would be best for this?

Regards, Julius.

There shouldn't be a problem with going to the SPC event whilst going through the PCSO application process however if you are successful with the application you can't be a SPC at the same time.  Police staff can however be SPCs.

As to which is best experience there are pros and cons of both.  Being a PCSO is a full time role and you'll see a lot of what a PC does whilst building up a thick skin and learning how to deal with people whereas as a SPC you may only be gaining a few hours experience per month whilst also holding down a full time job, but then you'll gain experience of using your full police powers. 

• Like 1

There shouldn't be a problem with going to the SPC event whilst going through the PCSO application process however if you are successful with the application you can't be a SPC at the same time.  Police staff can however be SPCs.

As to which is best experience there are pros and cons of both.  Being a PCSO is a full time role and you'll see a lot of what a PC does whilst building up a thick skin and learning how to deal with people whereas as a SPC you may only be gaining a few hours experience per month whilst also holding down a full time job, but then you'll gain experience of using your full police powers. 

Thank you for your reply.

Im siding with PCSO at the moment as I would prefer full time employment with the police, I was wondering could being a PCSO lead to a Constable career? 

Yep plenty of PCs start as a PCSO and apply as and when PC recruitment opens although some forces have a stipulation that a PCSO must have worked in the role for two years before they can apply to be a PC.

Having been a special and police staff (DDO) I would say working full time is better than being a special. You learn a lot, and puts you in a sting position when applying to be a police officer.