Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

A Good judicial Result-almost

I cannot say where it was or give any names, because I missed some of the report on R4 news,  but I heard that in court today, a lorry driver was convicted of killing 4 people when driving his lorry and scrolling though his mobile phone at the same time. It is as good as I think we could expect but 2 years 6 months for each person killed isn't enough.

A longer sentence would not bring the deceased back but it may go to disuade others from doing likewise. (possibly)!

I agree.  It won't bring the family back but it is a very good sentence for the offence and hopefully it will act a a deterrent to others.  

It's not a deterrent, because "it will never happen to me".

The chances of getting caught by anybody who can punish/educate the offender, is tiny.

That poor bloke and family - I saw him on the news this morning..............very sad indeed.

The best deterrent is the chance of getting caught but with the decreasing number of RPU and response officers on the road, that chance is getting smaller.  This sentence however highlights the serious effects of using a mobile phone so in that way I hope that it will act as a deterrent to some people.

The footage was horrifying. The car the deceased were in was squashed to a third of it's original size, and the lorry driver had signed a pledge not to use a mobile phone when driving an hour before this happened!

Signed a pledge?

Brilliant.  That's the company absolved of all responsibilities then.

What on earth is the point of getting any of it's drivers to sign a pledge saying "I won't use a mobile phone will driving"?  So that they can sack them if they are caught doing so?

The company had a dash cam in the cab so presumable they could check to see if their drivers were using mobile phones at the wheel or not, so they had the opportunity to back the pledge up with a hard and fast sanction if they had wanted to.

Right.

OK.  So let's look at that shall we?  There was a dashcam in the cab.  Recording everything that the driver did.  AND EVEN KNOWING THAT, he carried on.

To all intents and purposes, the driver knew that there was 'somebody' watching him all the time..................and still he carried on.

So, the camera was only there to give evidence after something happened, and presumably, should nothing happen on a journey then the footage from any cabs wasn't checked - unsurprisingly as it would be prohibitive to do so.

I still say 10 yrs for four lives is not enough, especially with the spy camera and his written 'promise'. He will in all probability be out in half the time.

• Like 2

I still say 10 yrs for four lives is not enough, especially with the spy camera and his written 'promise'. He will in all probability be out in half the time.

That might be the case but when you see murderers getting the same or less then in that context it is a good result.

I worked in fatal collision investigation for 15 years, and was involved in varying capacities in well over 100 investigations, many involving multiple fatalities. I never saw anyone get 10 years on an early guilty plea.

Given the sentencing guidelines for the offence I say it again. This is a very good result.