Saqi4rooq

The General Effectiveness Of The Police

As a part of my Citizenship coursework, I have been advised to research the general impact (of effectiveness)that the police has on our society. Its undeniable that factors such as the low, limited budget the police are offered by the government and the fact that most crimes do not even get reported give the police a bad reputation. However, I am more interested in your opinions. Any contribution or idea will help tremendously. Thank you.

We are incredibly effective.  The only evidence I have for that statement is that the prisons are full.  They didn't get full by people moving in themselves and refusing to leave.  If they built more prisons, they'd get filled too.

However.  Crime keeps on being committed.  People just don't seem to want to get one with each other.  Every copper's workload is a repetitive cycle of the same types of crime, over and over again.

So.  Are we really effective?  Nobody cares as long as an MP or a CC somewhere can show stats that prove we are.

I'm sure you'll get more reasoned responses........good luck in your research and on your course.

I'd say that we keep a lid on things i.e. we stop things getting out of hand with anarchy taking over.  The evidence for that are the 2012 riots when we got caught flat footed giving some people the idea that we couldn't control the riots.  Of course we also get a lot of help from the majority of people in society who want safety and security because without them we would find our job to be impossible to do.

"The fact that most crimes do not get reported"..... Source material on this please... I personally don't believe this unless we are going to start calling jostling on crowded trains assaults and children's found pennies thefts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are brilliant at serious incidents where things are properly organised i.e murder enquiries.With lesser things its the lack of time that holds us back and things can get cuffed or glossed over.To be more effective in todays society the other agencies need to do more.As we are the only ones who cannot say no.Facebook and mobile phones have alot to answer for in draining police resources.A credible 24/7 service from social care and mental health services would also increase effectiveness.

• Like 2

There's ample evidence that most crimes don't get reported. I studied this in the mid 90s and any book on the subject will tell you that.

The police can't do a lot about what it doesn't know about. Where it loses some effectiveness is when it doesn't record the crimes it does get told about - evidence e.g. recent HMIC report that GMP fail to record some 38,000 crimes a year.

I know that headline figure doesn't tell the whole story and GMP will have effectively dealt with many of those incidents without labelling them crimes.

The best place to look for evidence of police efficiency is on the PEEL inspection reports on the HMIC website.

Of course before you can answer the question you need to define what the police are supposed to do and how that is measured. I've seen some officers very effective at things that are not their job.

• Like 1

The only true and accurate way to determine how effective the police would be to withdraw from the streets for a few days, having previously advertised their absence, and compare what life was like before and during the period of withdrawal.

• Like 2

The lack of effectiveness is down to lack of manpower from lack of funding from Central Government, after the cuts. Of course many Chief Constable's have to take responsibility for deciding to cut staff and to waste money on wasteful, non productive items.  The present day Police are mainly, purely re-active Policing whereas in the passed they have actually been able to produce Pro-active Policing, or in short self motivated enquiries disclosing unreported matters or offenders actually caught in the act. It rarely happens now but in the past it surely did.

C.C.'s have consistently removed officers from the streets to form departments, and squads, for investigating selected crimes. Of course this only becomes effective when those crime are reported. These squads tend to hide behind a strict agenda, and have at times claimed "Nothing to do with us"  They tend top forget the objectives of a Constable, "The Protection of Life and Property, The Prevention and Detection of Crime, and the prosecution of offenders against the Queen's Peace". That definition applies to all officers from the most junior top the most senior Police Officer.

I agree with O.C. that it would be a measure if officers were withdrawn from the streets for 3 days and you would then get a good measure of Policing.

• Like 1

As long as 3 days? All hell would break out after 24 hours!

The effectiveness of the police can be described in an anecdote I heard last night. A car was stolen and recovered in a known criminals driveway but no forther action was taken. NO one saw him driving it, and there was no forensic evidence to connect him with the theft. They knew he was responsible but proving it was another matter. The attitude of the loser who was relating the tale was the police showed no interest.

The general public have been fed all sorts of crap via TV with regard to what the police do and they arrest/charge anyone, when in fact if the evidence is not there, they can go no further. This is commonly regarded as not showing any interest!

• Like 2

Not a good example of the effectiveness of the police nor that the police weren't interested. They must have made enquiries to establish that no one saw him driving it and the vehicle must have been examined to show there was no forensic evidence. This more the effectiveness of the law. But that said whilst many will think the known criminal took the car there is no evidence he did.

Maybe a criminal friend wanted to visit so nicked a car and left it on his driveway.

I've been accused more than once of not being interested because there was no evidence, once by a victim who told me he knew who'd burgled his bed sit but wouldn't tell me who it was because it was my job to find out!

I find it hard to believe that there was no forensic evidence, or, was it that they did not think that it was worth the effort and cost. It is most unusual that there is no forensic evidence, fibres, DNA, prints. etc.

Yes I thought pretty much the same, but who am I or anyone else to argue with a MoP who has his forensic training by watching endless repeats of 'The Bill'?

It is their mindset of reading a certain number of tabloid news(?) papers that undermines the actual  effectiveness of the police. They believe what is written by journalists so divorced from the truth they live in LaLa land.

Forensic stuff costs money............'we' already know that attempting to get dna from an airbag (for example) isn't going to happen for a something like a TWOC - costs too much against the quality of the evidence (they might not get anything from it).

Analysis of clothing fibres from a broken glass at a burglary?  Costs too much/won't happen.  Simple stuff like fingerprints will, anything more costly, won't.

Cuts cost.  Our force has cut the number of AFOs by nearly half after doing a regional thing.  Overtime is through the roof, ARV coverage is appalling - we run on a hope that they won't be needed.  The number of traffic officers has been decimated and, guess what, the number of killed on our roads has nearly doubled this year from last.

How effective are we?  Nearly twice as many people have been killed on our roads than last year, and coincidentally perhaps, the amount of traffic process has fallen by approximately three quarters.  Is that really a coincidence?  Yeah.  Course it is.  And when we sit at the side of the road and stop people for speeding, they write to the Daily Heil and complain that we're just generating money and picking on people because it's easy.  Idiots.

We are keeping a lid on some things, and all the while, new laws come in, more expectations and, as has been stated, other agencies have stopped being able to do their jobs effectively (due to cutting of costs?) so we have to fill those gaps...............because?  Well, who else has boots on the ground to do so?

I tell you what I'm effective at; dealing with RTCs, arresting people, talking to victims of crime, recording crime, taking statements, being a copper.  Preventing crime?  I can stop people getting hurt by my prescence.  If people see me travelling from place to place and that puts them off being naughty, then maybe.  That people know we exist?  Nope; they keep on committing the same crimes, over and over, we keep arresting them, the courts keep letting them go.  Anti-social people keep on doing whatever the f**k they want to do - they lack the motivation to behave, they lack the intelligence and education to behave, there are pitiful consequences that might make them behave.  And so it will go on.  They are having children, and they don't know how to parent - so those children are going to maintain the cycle.

I guess they help keep me in a job..............a job that May (and by association the Tory party) doesn't think should deal with anything other than crime.  I tell you what, maybe that's all we should deal with for a week, and let's see what happens - see how many more people die needlessly, how many more people are assaulted, how many more lives blighted by the evil that we attempt to keep a lid on.  Lions, led by sheep.

How effective are we?  A damn-sight more effective than we have any right to be.  We're not perfect, but we're a damn-sight more honourable than those who choose to denigrate us.

• Like 5

Forensics costs money, Yes, we all know that. However because of cuts, and cuts in the wrong places we fail to spend money on forensics and in doing so we (The Chief Officers) abrogate their responsibility and therefore make it more difficult to do our job. The officer on the street does back summersaults and fits 12 hours work into an 8 hour day.  He has no time for proactive Policing, courtesy of HM Government and the Force Senior Command.

The persistent car thief needs to be caught and put off the road, his mere presence puts innocent people's lives at risk. The example given of the stolen car on the suspects drive does not indicate a TWOC but a theft of vehicle. I am sorry to say, however, that in GMP they even stopped dusting a car for prints. In 90% of cases they could find a clear thumb print smack in the middle of the rear view mirror, where the driver had adjusted it. In the other 10% the thief was wearing gloves.

• Like 2

There are 13 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE