Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

CC Priorities - letting the front line down

I was flicking through my local Fed magazine last week and read an article about the latest 1% pay rise.  What struck me was a comment that although the CCs had supported the pay rise they didn't want it to contribute to pensionable pay!  That struck me as being very tight fisted and showing a distinct lack of support for their front line officers.  This comes on top of people like BHH proposing that all bank holidays apart from Christmas being done away with in lieu of extra holidays, which effectively would mean a pay cut for those officers willing to work them.  Neither proposal was brought in but the fact that they were proposed and discussed shows a lack of empathy and understanding of the pressures for junior officers.  

I presume that both suggestions were brought about either to address long term finances and the more immediate needs of providing a flexible work force but we have been suffering from austerity for  a long time so this would just heap more cost cuts onto us.   

I wonder if this proposal would somehow go against the pension regs or conditions of service? Not being familiar with them now I could not be definitive but that would be my 1st port of call if I was to query the proposal. I was always of the understanding that all basic pay/salary, call it what you wish, was pensionable including the London Weighting but older officers will remember rent aid, which wasn't pensionable

I thought that as well but unless the story was factually wrong, it seems that the CCs were proposing that not all of our pay would be pensionable in future.

If this is true it would appear that C.C.'s are failing to support their officers. It would be a disgrace if they suggest that the rise should not be pensionable. For a start they cannot do it,they do not make the Pension regulations; they never have and never will. Perhaps it shows how little imagination they have. Alright they have had to make cuts but is this as far as their imagination can take them. I have one suggestion which, as far as I know, not one Chief has done. Do away with the free vehicles, and travel for the Senior management. Cut the free private health care that they get thrown into their contracts. Cut out the freebie fact finding trips, and overnighters at ACPO meetings, and, yes I do know they have a new fancy title. Do they really need a uniform chauffeur to collect and return them home and be at their beck and call all day just in case they are needed.

Senior officers mess ' s can go, as well as mess nights. A large number of Civilian posts, especially management and HR negotiate their own contracts which have written in high redundancy payments and high pension rights.

• Like 3

What forces still have Officers' Messes and mess nights? In my old force the Divisional ones went 20 or more years ago and the HQ one at least 10, maybe 15 years ago.

In the force I currently work in what was the Officers' Mess has been a meeting room for many years, not many people can remember it being the mess, only the dinosaurs.

What forces still have Officers' Messes and mess nights? In my old force the Divisional ones went 20 or more years ago and the HQ one at least 10, maybe 15 years ago.

In the force I currently work in what was the Officers' Mess has been a meeting room for many years, not many people can remember it being the mess, only the dinosaurs.

Oh, they do still exist, and No I am not a dinosaur. No comment on the rest of the profligacy.

Oh, they do still exist, and No I am not a dinosaur. No comment on the rest of the profligacy.

Really? Where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk