Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

Mobile 'Phone use.

In a few of the papers today there are a number of articles about mobile phones being used by vehicle drivers when they are moving and the number of FPN's and prosecutions are dropping quite dramatically when the driver is caught or it seems in the majority of cases - not caught. This in the face of the fact that over 200 people have been killed on the roads as the result of using the phone when driving

There are various suggestions how this should be dealt with and the common denominator seems to be severe and in some cases almost draconian punishment - just stopping short of the death penalty!. the number of points to be increased but one that caught my eye, is not draconian but fits the offence and that is for drivers of goods vehicles to be handed out heavier penalties than car drivers. 6 points and a £1000 fine. So get caught twice and you loose your licence.= Tough.

The same could be applied to speeding vehicles. Break the limit in a Goods vehicle be it 7.5 ton or 44 tonnes and get caught by a roadside camera, the fine is the same (as far as I know) as a small car or motorcycle. It would be quite easy for a link to be placed on the computer so that vehicles over 7.5 tonnes automatically get hit with a far higher fine and greater number of points. After all a LGV can do far more damage in the event of a crash brought about by the misuse of speed.

I believe the fine (should it go to court) can be up to £2,500 for mobile phone use in a LGV or PCV. Not sure whether or not the Magistrates can impose more penalty points as well.

I think, rather than going down the easier eFPN route for heavy commercials, perhaps more of them should be put before a court and given a much larger fine. The word would soon spread throughout the industry press that drivers of heavy commercial vehicles would be 'unlikely' to be given the eFPN & say no more option.

Prosecutions have dropped dramatically because there are no oifficers on the street to enforce the moblie phone use laws. Asa you drive around you literally see dozens of drivers on the phone, and, I must say the jh=highest majority that I see are female drivers. As for the spppeding and hammering the drivers of HGV's, you have to remember that they are driving hundreds of thousands of miles where as some of the errant car drivers drive just a few thousand and clock up more offences. The cuts in Police numbers has had a massive effect of roads policing and a huge majority are getting away with offences because of the lack of officers. Perhaps Tom Winsor and Mrs May might reflect on that matter and ask themselves why this it.

Some of the worst offenders are the foreign truckers whio litterally get away with murder.

For the moblile phone use why not sieze the mobile as evidence and apply to the magistrates for a confiscation and destruction order, it woulod make them think twice and the irrefutable evidence would be in your possession presented before the court.

• Like 1

Prosecutions have dropped dramatically because there are no oifficers on the street to enforce the moblie phone use laws.

That is the bottom line.  Not enough officers.  Savings have had to be made................

I keep thinking that I should (anonymously) invite my local paper to make a FOI request to my force to find out how many FPNs/TORs have been issued on a yearly basis over the past 5 years, and then correlate that with the KSI figures.  This last year would tell a huge story.

They could also ask how many traffic officers we have, because that figure has dropped off a cliff.  Then, they could ask them what the increase in overtime for AFOs have been, because I know it's gone through the roof, due to lack of staff after a massive reorganisation.

And then they could work out how much more in fuel the ARVs are burning since the reorganisation, and how much extra that is costing than in previous years.........

I've digressed.

As Zulu quite correctly points out, there are less prosecutions because there are less officers to start the process in the first place.

Actually one of the papers the Daily Maul made this precise point. For once they are accurate!

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

RPU and resposne officers have been cut in number and it would have been these PCs who would have stopped the most drivers and issued FPNs or TORs so cutting their numbers is going to have a natural knock on in the number of tickets issued.  HMGs solution is to make penalties higher but that won't make any difference if there aren't enough officers out there to stop people in the first place.

• Like 2

A few quick bans, especially amongst LGV drivers would I think focus the mind.

It isn't only on the road that Mobiles are a danger. I went to pick up the boss tonight from the Station and I had to carry out an emergency stop to avoid hitting a group of girls with their heads all focussed on their phones and stepping out into the road without looking, and it was dark at the time so I can count myself lucky.

Then when waiting on Durham Station, not the best illuminated place in the world, a woman walked into the side of my car whilst texting. The look of indignation said it all. No hint of an appology! Phones are a menace! Their users more so!

There seems to be an increasing trend of using social media whilst driving judging from the number of people you see at traffic lights looking down at their groins, moving their arms then smiling...I assume they're using Facebook because the alternative isn't very nice either  :tongue_cheek:

• Like 3

It has been announced on the news this morning that from early next year the fine will go up to £200 and 6 points. I doubt very much that this will make a great deal of difference unless they increase the road policing presence as well. I can also see with the increased risk of loosing their licence, especially if they have points already, there may be a number of refusals to accept the FPN and choosing to go to court so slowing the process up

At this point the phone should be siezed to prevent any loss of evidence such as changing or 'loosing' the 'phone. For some, especially those adicted to Facebook and company reps who are used to receiving busines info via mobile, will find it a worse penalty for a short while until they can replace the devices.

It will also mean with the 6 points, that a new driver will automatically have to re-take the test.

Yeah! I'll have some of that!!!

There seems to be an increasing trend of using social media whilst driving judging from the number of people you see at traffic lights looking down at their groins, moving their arms then smiling...I assume they're using Facebook because the alternative isn't very nice either  :tongue_cheek:

Hands Free ?

• Like 1

I've just seen on the BBC news that serious consideration is being given to doubling the points on the D/L and making the fine £200 for a conviction. At the risk of sounding a KILL joy (no pun intended) why can't the penalty be just the same as the drink drive penalty. That was introduced as severe because of the danger it can cause, so, with the danger that the mobile phone issue causes I think it's use should be exactly the same. I agree with Zulu, and many others, who make the point that there are too few officers on the streets now to police the situation properly, but as someone on here said, it would only take a few convictions matching the d/drive penalty, for the word to get around very quickly, what with the help from the media etc.

Dealing them as per drink drivers will have an impact.

As I said before putting them through the courts will necessitate the phones to be siezed as evidence at the point they are stopped. users will wriggle and squirm to avoid their precious phone being used as evidence if a ban will be the result.

Whilst I have not personally been put at risk by a car driving phone user, I have two motorcyling friends who have finished up in hospital as a result of the drivers criminal stupidity so will go along with any stiffening of a penalty for the use.

Where text messaging and telephone calls are concerned, there wouldn't necessarily be any need to seize the mobile device, as the network will usually be quite happy to supply subscriber information like this. Although having the phone as evidence would certainly be useful.

When I worked in the industry (many moons ago), even then we could supply time, date and duration information on both incoming and outgoing calls or text messages. So, anyone thinking that they're being clever by deleting their recent call or text history, might also find themselves on a charge of perverting the course of justice.

That would certainly throw a spanner in the works as far as only worrying about a fine and points on their licence was concerned  :lol:

Take away the phone = lack of further temptation, inconvenience, and evidence. You would then be able to corroborate the information from the ISP and ensure that you have the right one. Of course after any trial it could be returned to them so long as there was no appeal.

these idiotic, excuses for shallow, thoughtless people must learn they are risking injuring and causing the death of others for a moments innatention. Hit them hard!..........Bloody hard!

Plus it would show companies that calling their employees when they may be driving are almost as much to blame.

You will realise I detest them!

(rant over - for now)

• Like 2

Take away the phone = lack of further temptation, inconvenience, and evidence. You would then be able to corroborate the information from the ISP and ensure that you have the right one. Of course after any trial it could be returned to them so long as there was no appeal.

these idiotic, excuses for shallow, thoughtless people must learn they are risking injuring and causing the death of others for a moments innatention. Hit them hard!..........Bloody hard!

Plus it would show companies that calling their employees when they may be driving are almost as much to blame.

You will realise I detest them!

(rant over - for now)

Assuming that if it's an iPhone, they give you the PIN. Otherwise we're struggling.

If all these reps want to use their phone whilst driving, then why don't they mount them on a clamp or a cradle, to the dashboard. Solves the problem for just a few quid. Some people are just stupid. Or tight. Or both!

There are 30 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this