BIkerider

Tenacity

It has just been announced that the Police are still investigating the Stephen Lawrence murder following a new lead. They have found DNA from a female on a strap from a handbag close to where the murder took place. They have also re-shown CCTV of a white man wearing a distinctive pullover with a broad 'V' on the back in a shop nearby. Full marks for tenacity.

There must be more to this than is being let on. No explanation has been made as to the connection between the two with the actual murder.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that Stephen Lawrence's mother is now a Peeress; so she no doubt has some clout with the politically-motivated Met leadership - or am I just being cynical.

I have never been comfortable with the way the case was handled - whilst I do not condone in any way, shape or form, the murder of anyone, the changing of the law to allow for trials of suspects to be conducted until the "right" verdict was achieved laves me with an unpleasant taste. 

• Like 1

Also, why are Met not re DNAing Keith Blacklocks PSU overalls, and other evidence from that Horible night on the BWF estate ???

Asking for a friend

• Like 2

Hmmmmm. Good point, but possibly not as politically sensitive as the Lawrence murder.

Get your friend to make a complaint, pointing out the disparity of the investigation! 

Hmmmmm. Good point, but possibly not as politically sensitive as the Lawrence murder.

Get your friend to make a complaint, pointing out the disparity of the investigation! 

I know what you mean BR but as far as I am concerned, the murder of an officer of The Crown charged with the protection of The Queen's Peace is pretty "political" to me and certainly a very high priority. If I was a cynic, I would be asking whether his colour - BLUE - was anything to do with the politicians' failure to pursue the matter - after all, there were probably not enough BLUE votes to make a difference to any of the feckless characters who inhabit The House of Commons. :tongue_cheek:

• Like 1

OAH. Yes it was political, but not in the direction that it should have been investigated.

I can't remember how long ago the murder took place, was it 20 or 25 years? I am sure a lot of those involved if they didn't have a Club Number then, they will have now and with the progress of DNA analysis in the intervening years who knows what may turn up.

OAH. Yes it was political, but not in the direction that it should have been investigated.

I can't remember how long ago the murder took place, was it 20 or 25 years? I am sure a lot of those involved if they didn't have a Club Number then, they will have now and with the progress of DNA analysis in the intervening years who knows what may turn up.

BR

Late on the night of the murder (6 October 1985), the call went out to Specials in the Met to parade for duty the following morning. Such was the concern of the authorities that there was going to be further disorder and most Regular officers were to be held available and not on Division. Many large employers released their Special employees for duty that day. there was considerable anger and fear around London. People were very subdued. Of course, it wasn't the first time that a Police officer had been murdered and, for example, the Braybrook Street murders of the Foxtrot One-One Q car crew was "bigger" in the sense of the number of officers murdered. However, the cold-blooded murder of an officer during a riot on a normal London housing estate seemed much more portentous of bad things to come. There was an air of real fear around that day.

So in a societal sense, the murder off PC Keith Blakelock is something that should have been pursued until a final conclusion; if iy is still an open case, it needs to be publicised as such. If it is not an open case, someone should explain in detail why that is so! 

Edited by OldAfricaHand
  • Like 1