Sign in to follow this  
IveToldYouOnce

Donald Trump

.............wants to build a large wall cutting off Mexico.

In fact, he's going to, if he becomes President.  He just said so.

An actual wall.  Tall, and large, with sensors, and towers and border guards and probably with dogs running around with laser cannon on their heads and a minefield, and bazookas and forcefields and Jabba the Hut and My Little Pony...........

Sorry, I got carried away with talking utter s**t.  Just like Trump appears to be doing.

An actual wall.  The border is nearly 2000 miles long. AND he says he's going to make Mexico pay for it.  Now, I've been to a few border disputes in my years, and getting a neighbour to pay for a new £200 fence is a next to impossible.  I'm going to guess a 2000 miles long wall is going to cost more than £200.

How much is that going to cost?  Roughly?  Is that even possible in this day and age?  Are the numbers of illegal entrants to the US worth the cost that the wall is going to take?  And there aren't more important things that the money could be spent on?  Like their deficit?  Or healthcare for their poor?  Or gummy bears? 

I'm not sure he's very stable.

The idea is not new and has been tried but on a smaller scale in UK. There was a chap called Hadrian (some Roman Emporor or something) a few years ago built one almost 70 miles long and garrisoned it with troops from what is now the EU. Just to keep those thieving Picts and Scots out of England. Those multi racial troops proved to be quite unreliable and fraternised with the locals and to be honest if you check the facts, that wall didn't work either. It was well quite built so Wimpey didn't have a hand in it. ;)

Trump claims it will all be paid for my those 'south of the border' but then the president of Mexico said they had talked during his visit, but no mention had been made of who was to fund it and went on to say the Mexicans definitely wouldn't.

Perhaps he has miss-interpreted the (shaky) agreement between UK and France about who polices the channel ports and thinks that can be applied there.

OK...... manyana....... possibly

Trump's running partner is Penny.  Now Trump is a child's word for a Fart. Penny being the lowest denomination means that a Cheap Fart is standing for election. His policies seem just as cheap and ridiculous. 

I've just done a very quick calculation...

Based on a wall 2000 miles long, 20 feet high and 3 feet thick, made from poured concrete.

It would take just under 25 MILLION cubic metres of concrete.

Based on todays average UK price of £75 per cubic meter, that works out at almost £4 Billion in concrete alone, never mind rebar, manpower and the logistics of it.

One fully loaded cement wagon will carry 10 cubic metres... So they'll need quite a few of those. I hope that they're not planning on building anything else, anywhere in America at the same time, because cement trucks are going to be rarer than hens teeth!

George Dubya started building a fence... That came in about about £3 million per mile, with some sections (where private land had to be purchased) costing up to £16 million per mile.

Trump, is quite clearly, out of his tree! And it will be an unmitigated disaster for the rest of the world (and the USA) if he were to be elected as President. That's not to say that I think Clinton is a much better choice, but she'll be a whole lot better than 'The Donald'.

Hell, Donald Duck would be a better choice than Donald Trump.

I'm not a Facebook user but have a pseudo account because it's useful without being public. Anywho - through this I see lots posts and links from Americans who are almost exclusively pro Trump and despise Clinton. Quite why I am not sure as from my passing interest I think its 50-50 amongst all Americans, I guess maybe the Americans who are interested in the things I am interested in are pro Trump.

Reminds me very much of the run up to the Brexit vote with each side promoting their own views and skewing everything they could to a pro them/ anti the other side story.

Trump sounds a little 'off the wall' but my mum used to have a saying about sense coming from babies and fools.

Didn't the Chinese build a bigger wall a few years ago. I thought it was one of the biggest inanimate objects that cannot be seen from a space or something. I think that kept the Mexicans from getting into China, or out, not sure which way around it was.

I think the thing about Hadrian and China's wall is that they were built using (presumably) forced, cheap labour.  A long time ago.  I'll make a guess that Health and Safety wasn't uppermost in their planning/logistics and neither was 'minimum wage' or material cost an issue.

The maths just doesn't weigh up, as Skydiver has outlined.  It's just, well, 'mental' to think that a bloody great wall is going to a) do the trick, and B) actually get built.

Just because somebody (who wants power) says something is going to happen, doesn't mean that it is a) feasible or B) going to actually happen.

You'd think the 'educated and informed' Americans would just say "if you want a 2000 mile wall, it'll cost this and take this long - we can't afford an utterly pointless construction project like that"..........

You think he watched "Escape from New York" and thought it was a documentary?

I don't support Trump or the idea of a wall. However, anybody ever heard of the Panama Canal which could not be done. In those days in relevant terms the cost was more. It got built against all the odds.

Edited by Zulu 22

Yes but the Panama canal is actually quite short in comparison to what 'old fart' is proposing, plus a good proportion of it was built by utilising lakes that were already there. The man's quite out of his tree, tuned into a moon beam and in contact with Mars!

If he thinks a wall will keep them out, has he never heard of aircraft flying at night?

The Panama Canal has saved an enormous amount of time and money for shipping.

The Wall will cost a fortune, and save sod all.

They already have tunnels under the border..............The Wall is pure folly.........unless, I guess, it gets Trump elected.  Then it's going to hand him power........dear oh dear.......

Be carefull what is said (if anything) about Trump's wife. She is suing the mail on line for libel.

Oh.  What a present for a Friday.  The Guardian is reporting that the DM has printed a retraction, but that Ms. Trump's solicitors are saying that that doesn't not affect their suit.  $150 million dollars is sought................I wish her every success..........

Agreed, however where will the court action be brought? If in America, can that be enforced, if in UK then think of the extra costs that could be applied for!

I suppose once the suggestion has been made the cat is out of the bag and the whole world will know about it and make up their own minds. I have made up mine, no prizes for guessing which side it is for!

(No you are wrong)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-tax-returns-first-presidential-debate-live-hillary-clinton-a7332041.html

Erm.

Not paying taxes makes Trump "smart", and I guess paying your taxes makes you the opposite of smart, which is stupid.  (That sentence works in two ways...........)

How does somebody as (apparently) rich as Trump get away with not paying any tax?

And, if he becomes president, then in his words (sort of) he needs American citizens to not be smart and to pay their taxes, otherwise nothing is going to happen in the US, least of all the building of 'his' wall.........

How do you think he got rich in the 1st place?

As Mrs Clinton said last night.  'If he can get worked up by a little tweet, he's the last person she wants with his finger on the Nuclear codes'

Do you know? I think she is just about right!

Compared to Bush junior, JW is top of the class....... alongside Trump! Just where do they find them?

• Like 2

There are 50 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this