Sign in to follow this  
Zulu 22

Tattoo's - Federation

http://polfed.org/campaigning/3629.aspx

As an old federationist I have defended them over many issues. However they are now campaigning for a policy on tattoo's. They seem to feel, or rather Chief Inspector Victoria Martin feels that neck and face tattoo's should be allowed. She claims that to have to cover up tattoo's is sexist as officers have to wear sleeves in hot weather.

I am wondering just who she represents.

Perhaps others have a differing view but I feel that tattoo's and Policing do not go together. I have known many ex servicemen who have tattoo's, part of their culture, but they have been have to cover them up in uniform, as is the military policy.

Dont think it matters anymore. Most people are happy if the police turn up. Also for me professionalism is shown in your work rather than your appearance. 

Dont think it matters anymore. Most people are happy if the police turn up. Also for me professionalism is shown in your work rather than your appearance. 

Now we would have to disagree there. If you turn up looking like a bag of mess then you will be treated like that. It is the first impression that sets the tone for any incident. If you look the part it gives the impression of a professional who knows what they are doing, even if, in reality they are the opposite.

What next tattoo's on the fingers of LOVE/HATE/ACAB.

• Like 1

I have never managed to get my mind around why people want them in the 1st place. It is a disfigurement of the body (my opinion). Allowing them, will show a further fall in standards from the days of the District Training Schools. At least people were shown how to appear smart even if their minds were in a turmoil . Yes some folk had tattoos (Both sexes) but show them at your peril!

• Like 1

My thoughts would be, in this day and age, tattoo's on an arm, providing that they are not offensive, is 'much ado about nothing'.

Neck & face tattoo's though, would, I feel, still be step too far. It just looks too unprofessional.

I would ask why is a female Chief Inspector from the Federation pushing for it. Standards are standards. She cannot be representing serving officers who may have joined with tattoo's and knew the policy, Or, is it so e one trying to see how far they can push the boundaries. Be wary of something that can come back to bite you.

WTF?  Absolutely, 100% with Zulu on this.

Face and neck tattoos being acceptable for a copper?  WHAT? Of all the things that need addressing, this CI is going with face/neck tattoos.  Really?

While we're at it, let's let officers colour their hair too.  I'd favour a red/orange combination.  Perhaps with my collar number etched into the back of my head.

What's the difference between neck/face tattoos and changing of hair colour or having designs shaved into your hair?

I understand that excessive makeup/bright nail polish isn't allowed either - once we've let people cover every spare inch of their body in tattoos, then garish makeup will, naturally, follow.  Why don't we go the whole hog and let officers turn up with face paint.  I'll turn up to a job looking like a tiger, no a panda, no a freakin' butterfly.........

Honestly.

Freedom of expression and all that.

Ex-military officers sometimes come with tattoos, but they are (generally) on their upper arms and parts of the body that can mostly be covered without upsetting anybody.  They don't feel a need to have tattoos on their necks/faces.......presumably because the military doesn't allow it?

Uniformed, disciplined service.  The human body allows for quite a lot of skin to have tattoos placed upon it, that doesn't need to be shown off at every opportunity.  I know a few officers who have 'sleeves' of tattoos, and who have accepted that they have to wear long sleeves whilst on duty to cover them.  They knew the rules, if they weren't prepared to accept them, then shey shouldn't have permanently coloured their skin. 

I guess the handy thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.

• Like 2

When I had an upper arm tattoo done many moons ago the tattoo artist, who was over from the USA told me many of his police customers had their badge & number tattooed. That wasn't what I was having done (lucky really as I was about to transfer & get a new number & force coat of arms) but he did raise the question of how they would blend in in circumstances where they did not want anyone to know they were police.

I think it's fair to say that this particular C.I has used the name of the Fed in vain regards this one. She may well be a Fed Rep, but I don't think for one moment that she is speaking for National Fed, and I'd be amazed that they were OK with what appears to be them asking for a relaxation on the rules.

I think it's fair to say that this particular C.I has used the name of the Fed in vain regards this one. She may well be a Fed Rep, but I don't think for one moment that she is speaking for National Fed, and I'd be amazed that they were OK with what appears to be them asking for a relaxation on the rules.

According to the Federation Web site she is on the North East regional committee so she is notan ordinary rep mouthing off unofficially. She is researching on behalf of the Federation.

I have never managed to get my mind around why people want them in the 1st place. It is a disfigurement of the body (my opinion). Allowing them, will show a further fall in standards from the days of the District Training Schools. At least people were shown how to appear smart even if their minds were in a turmoil . Yes some folk had tattoos (Both sexes) but show them at your peril!

I agree with you Br together with ITYO and Zulu. When I was in the job (Met). one couldn't even have a tattoo on ones forearm that was visible to the public when a rolled up long sleeved shirt was worn, and of course that applied to short sleeved order too. There is only one standard in my opinion and that is a professional one, and on from that, when I retired from the Met. I moved to N.Wales where the then C.C. had male PC's wearing baseball caps. Fortunately, he retired and his replacement changed things and reverted back to the standard police helmet. Whenever I spoke to a male officer on duty, I was told that the helmet was by far the most popular.

• Like 1

I only wish the fed spent the same money and effort fight for the pensions, pay and conditions of its members. The members who fund them.

Instead they seem intent on wasting time and money banging on about an issue that affects people who want to join the police, people who are not members of the federation and who don't fund them.

This is another own goal from the federation.

I think most tattoos look crap, not unprofessional as such but they just don't appeal to me. I really could care less if any professional I deal with has them or not as long as they aren't offensive. 

• Like 1

I was a Federation Rep and have defended them on this forum. However on this issue it appears that this is a complete waste of time and an insult to serving officers. The woman promoting this is not an every day member she is on the North East Regional Committee.

Uniformed, disciplined service.  The human body allows for quite a lot of skin to have tattoos placed upon it, that doesn't need to be shown off at every opportunity.  I know a few officers who have 'sleeves' of tattoos, and who have accepted that they have to wear long sleeves whilst on duty to cover them.  They knew the rules, if they weren't prepared to accept them, then shey shouldn't have permanently coloured their skin. 

I think thats the problem overall Ivetoldyouonce, Its not a disciplined service anymore its a business which is all inclusive on the one hand but still trying to be a disciplined organisation on the other. you cant have both.  Personally I would still like to wear shirt and tie and pants with boots I never found them any worse or better that the current uniform. But they looked alot smarter and fit better. 

Now we would have to disagree there. If you turn up looking like a bag of mess then you will be treated like that. It is the first impression that sets the tone for any incident. If you look the part it gives the impression of a professional who knows what they are doing, even if, in reality they are the opposite.

What next tattoo's on the fingers of LOVE/HATE/ACAB.

Yeh we rarely agree on anything, Doesnt matter what you look like these days you still get treated like s**t whatever. My young eager new acting sgt who looks like a toy soldier gets royally turner over regularly on the town centre by groups of drunks who think he looks funny and like a boy. They are often surprised when they ask is he new and I reply no he's my boss. 

Overall I would like to work in the police as it was 30 years ago when there were standards and we could enforce the law but I dont so I may as well have a glass of champagne while the titanic sinks. 

Edited by civpol

There are 1 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this