Sign in to follow this  
Caerleon

The Exam

I have two questions about the examinations, as i cannot seem to find the font of knowledge aka 'Reg' is at my station.

1) I can take the exam before the end of my probation? I have been told that you can (excl Accelerated/Suptnintendo).

2) If you take and pass the exam and have a serious dose of OCD about it, can you take the examination every year?

I'm pretty sure that you can only take an OSPRE or NIE exam after you have passed your probation and most forces will limit the number of attempts you can make.  My force only allows two attempts at the NIE for example.  Personally I'd suggest waiting a while and building up a bit of experience before taking exams and getting promoted unless you've got your heart set on being a chief constable by the time you're 40, but then again I'm happy just being a sergeant.

From the 2016 Rules and Syllabus from the CoP:

In order to be eligible to enter the NPPF Step Two Legal Examination to the rank of sergeant or inspector, officers should meet the eligibility criteria for the NPPF Step One. The NPPF Step One confirms that candidates have:

 completed the probation period in their current rank

 demonstrated competence in that rank through their Performance and Development Review (PDR), or Student Officer Learning and

Assessment Portfolio (SOLAP)/acceptable equivalent...