BIkerider

Death by Taser

A man has reputedly been shot by a taser in Shropshire about 1.30am today.following concerns about the man. Ataser was used after which he required medical attention but was pronounced dead around 3am. Apparently paramedics attended but the man went into cardiac arrest whilst on the way to hospital.

No information has been given by West Midlands Police surrounding the circumstances why they were called,  or why it was felt necessary to use a taser on him. It has been refered to the IPCC.

I doubt very much if West Midlands Police would know anything.... Shropshire is West Mercia's area  :P

Whilst I'm sure that lots of people (mainly the critics and armchair experts) will have plenty to say on the matter, I'm equally sure that the officer(s) that were dealing with the man felt that the use of Taser was justified in circumstances and that Taser wasn't used just for kicks & giggles.

Hmmmmmm.

TASER was used, the poor bloke died, he's been named as a former Aston Villa footballer.  It would be quite too early to suggest that TASER killed him.......the coroner will establish what led to his death and the contributory factors.

My thoughts are with his family and friends, and to the officers concerned..........having deployed TASER a few times, you don't pull the trigger lightly, but only after weighing up all your alternatives.

Let's wait and see what the investigation comes up with.

• Like 2

The Guardian has made an immediate link between his death, BLM and racism, without waiting for any facts to come out or for any sort of investigation to start.  The DM has also stated that he was 'tasered to death by police' again without waiting for any evidence.  Don't you just love the way our papers jump in in such a judgemental way.

• Like 1

From the Guardian........

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/15/man-dies-taser-shooting-by-police-in-telford-west-mercia

"Campaigners said Atkinson’s death highlighted the need for a UK Version of the Black Lives Matter Movement which was launched earlier this month to highlight police violence against members of the black community.

Kevin Maxwell, a former detective with Greater Manchester police and founder of Racism Ruins Lives said: “Dalian Atkinson is a black man. Fact. He died in police custody. Fact. Black Lives Matter is about raising awareness of this.

“Clearly, we do not know the full circumstances of what took place, but the deaths of black people in custody are a matter of concern."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/15/man-dies-taser-shooting-by-police-in-telford-west-mercia

"Campaigners said Atkinson’s death highlighted the need for a UK Version of the Black Lives Matter Movement which was launched earlier this month to highlight police violence against members of the black community.

I wonder if BLM will highlight the need for more help with drink, drugs or mental health issues if any of these factors prove to be central to his death and step back from the knee jerk need to link the death of a black man and any police involvement.

I don't know to what extent the statement made by a white middle aged female on the 6pm news on BBC is true. She said.

"I saw him hit by the taser and then hitting the ground. Then the two officers went over to him and started kicking him on the body".

If that is true then that is completely outrageous, but something didn't ring quite true when she spoke. 1.30am it would be dark so how far away was she when the taser was used. I cannot help thinking that if what she said had been noted by the police she would have been advised not to speak to the press. She is, as far as they have been able to ascertain the only person who allegedly saw what happened.

So is she trying to muddy the waters or is what she claimed the full truth. Call me a cynic, but I can't help thinking there is more to her story than she has claimed.

No official report has yet been issued in connection with the incident, only the barest of information.

Remember the witness to Duggan's death who saw everything in more deal from the 10th floor of a flat than people on ground, although their evidence was completely discredited and contradicted by other witnesses.

Kevin Maxwell, a former detective with Greater Manchester police and founder of Racism Ruins Lives said: “Dalian Atkinson is a black man. Fact. He died in police custody. Fact. Black Lives Matter is about raising awareness of this.

“Clearly, we do not know the full circumstances of what took place, but the deaths of black people in custody are a matter of concern."

The death of anyone in Police custody is a matter of concern. It particularly concerns me that people jump to conclusions about deaths in custody, that is - they focus on blaming the Police Officers involved in the arrest etc. The reality is that many people die suddenly - very few of them in Police custody. I guess we should appreciate Kevin Maxwell's comment "Clearly, we do not know the full circumstances of what took place" but, being a cynic, I suspect that remark will be lost in the uproar that will inevitably accompany this incident. Racism certainly does ruin lives but I wonder if Mr Maxwell's organisation recognises that racism is directed at people of all pigmentation and none; it is also evident within specific ethnic groups.

This is a very sad occurrence but, if as reported, the individual was strangling his own aged father, what action should the officers attending the scene have taken?

OAH where did you see that snippet? (last sentence)

I saw it on-line this morning - apparently, his father is in his 80s ..... I will try to see where it was I picked it up and get back to you.

There are 42 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE