Sign in to follow this  
OldAfricaHand

Orgreave Inquiry

In an address (in Rotherham) live now on Sky News, Owen Smith says he will demand a Hillsborough style inquiry into the events at Orgreave. No doubt another attempt by a politician to undermine the Police. Mind you, he might be wise to consider the potential outcome - there could well be evidence pointing to the Soviet funding of the miners' strike along with other interesting tit-bits of information! I have always been surprised that Bliar didn't try to do more to use this event as a stick to beat the Police - perhaps he had more "inside" information., 

• Like 1

This is not good news for the police - another enquiry into an event that happened 32 years ago. However if, as you suggest that information is brought into the open about 'funding' from external sources, it may be worth it in the long run. However to start something like this, unless they are idiotically stupid they will have covered the tracks well enough.

When we had politicians such as Blair and those who went before him, utter scoundrels as some were, at least they kept the cage door closed and the hard left under the thumbscrew. Now they have no barrier to stop them and a leader of the labour party who is incapable of ...leading....or does not want to.... or is in the pocket of these virtual enemies of UK, where do we go from here? 

I'm sure that union funding will not be a part of any future public enquiry and that the police will be its main focus.  It seems relatively easy to get an enquiry to go in the direction you want it to by setting specific terms of reference and given the general anti police rhetoric from the Tories then you can probably guess how they will be worded.

I do hope that they trace people who were at Orgreave with the Miners. As many said at the time they did not recognise any of them as they were not Miners. They were to inflame the Miners and then melt away into the background and let the Miners inflamed passion take over.

If it is like Hillsborough it will be one sided, but on whose side.

I will have to dig my pocket books out, and wonder if they still have my old anorak which was badly cut by a flying potato implanted with razor blades. They might have my Sergeant's uniform with the bleach stains from ammonia. Where did Arthur Scargill get his money from. £6,000 put behind the bar at the big "K" club at Kellingley.

• Like 1

P.S. Whilst I remember who financed his huge Bungalow, with massive grounds at Barnsley.

..............................and his chauffeur and his bodyguard/butler? I suspect it was NUM - I seem to recall, only a few years ago, he was being pressed to give up his NUM-funded apartment in the Barbican (City of London) but said he would take the matter to court oif the union pressed him further. An out-and-out scoundrel

• Like 2

I'm sure that union funding will not be a part of any future public enquiry and that the police will be its main focus.  It seems relatively easy to get an enquiry to go in the direction you want it to by setting specific terms of reference and given the general anti police rhetoric from the Tories then you can probably guess how they will be worded.

You may well be right - the MI5 teams whose foe was the men-with-snow-on-their-boots have now long-departed the scene; so there will likely be no-one with the institutional knowledge from the period - very sad.

You also left out his NUM Flat in the City of London which he occupied FOC. The NUM tried to get rid of hi mas a tenant but I don't know if they were successful.

I do hope that they trace people who were at Orgreave with the Miners. As many said at the time they did not recognise any of them as they were not Miners. They were to inflame the Miners and then melt away into the background and let the Miners inflamed passion take over.

If it is like Hillsborough it will be one sided, but on whose side.

I will have to dig my pocket books out, and wonder if they still have my old anorak which was badly cut by a flying potato implanted with razor blades. They might have my Sergeant's uniform with the bleach stains from ammonia. Where did Arthur Scargill get his money from. £6,000 put behind the bar at the big "K" club at Kellingley.

Zulu'

They won't want to call you to give evidence as you obviously have a biased view of the events - rather they will call "independent" witnesses and may even want to get IPCC involved  :tongue_cheek:

Whilst they are about it how about 2 other historic incidents that are well overdue for a public enquiry:-

The Peterloo Massacre and the Siege of Sidney Street otherwise known as the Battle of Stepney. Dreadful incidents!!!!!

Someone, somewhere for enough pieces of silver should be able to find a rent-a- witness who knew someones Great Grandfather who's half sister's alcoholic husband,  was drinking in the pub around the corner at the time :tongue_cheek:

Whilst they are about it how about 2 other historic incidents that are well overdue for a public enquiry:-

The Peterloo Massacre and the Siege of Sidney Street otherwise known as the Battle of Stepney. Dreadful incidents!!!!!

Someone, somewhere for enough pieces of silver should be able to find a rent-a- witness who knew someones Great Grandfather who's half sister's alcoholic husband,  was drinking in the pub around the corner at the time :tongue_cheek:

Honest Gov, I was not there at the Peterloo Massacre. Ironic piece of useless knowledge that the GMP training school used to be housed in Peterloo House, on the corner of St Peters Square until about 1978.

Ok I get Hillsborough, people died and whether or not people agree with the outcome of the inquiries or the 'independent' manner in which it was carried out;, in the public interest to get to a version of the truth for that reason at least, it most certainly was.

Orgreave though - really? Correct me if I'm wrong, nobody died. Basically however you dress it up it was one big shin dig where I don't doubt some officers in the face of provocation and organised violence lost their temper and didn't use Home Office authorised techniques (oh wait there was no such thing then) and very possibly by modern standards were guilty of assaults. However if nobody died, we police large scale disorder in a totally different way now and this event happened before I joined the police and I have since retired, then what is the point. I fail to see how huge police resources and public costs can be in the public interest in these days of austerity. This is political grand standing at it's worst and any time and money wasted on this vainglorious project will be utterly disgraceful.  

• Like 1

Orgreave though - really? Correct me if I'm wrong, nobody died. Basically however you dress it up it was one big shin dig where I don't doubt some officers in the face of provocation and organised violence lost their temper and didn't use Home Office authorised techniques (oh wait there was no such thing then) and very possibly by modern standards were guilty of assaults. 

Because the police are evil liars who attacked innocent, peace loving miners who were just there to have a love in, or that's at least how its being painted by some left wingers.  

The Tories have also been quick to forget their own attitude towards the miners during the strike and how much of an issue it was for them at the time.  If the miners had won the Tories would have lost power.   They are now turning this into a police only issue whilst forgetting their encouragement and approval of the police tactics used at the time.  In addition they seem to be blinkered when it comes to the tactics the miners were using as they weren't exactly shining paragons of virtue.

• Like 1

Wonder if I will be called? I was nearly there! On the day of the battle we were detailed away from our normal location at Markham Colliery to stay on a motorway junction and stop any vehicle containing only men from leaving the motorway. Didn't know anything about the battle till it was all over even though it was only about 10 miles away. We then realised that we were preventing more flying pickets from getting to Orgreave.

Had some interesting discussions with cars full of burly men with strong Yorkshire accents who were just going to visit friends in the area.

Pretty dull war story but all of us who were there have retired now.

My father was a  police boss at Orgreave and other pits during the miners strike.Not sure if he was at the 'battle' but my memory of him was coming home with smashed front teeth and having to take him ( against his will) to the dental hospital.Some hero had used a catapult and large marble known in Yorkshire as a bollie washer and fired at him from a range of about 25 yards.

Of course those who want a review will call this 'anecdotal' i.e inadmissable or want to call a very frail 83 year old and put him through the mill in a few years if he survives.

Not just my dad but other coppers I have spoken to and miners who since became coppers all said the none miner agitators wound up the younger miners and the OTT cop incidents seemed to come from cops along way from their own manors.

There are 33 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this