Sign in to follow this  
anticondem

Munich Shootings

The dear old BBC just cannot help themselves can they. In the absence of any confirmation from Germany as to who is responsible they quite properly stress that people should not speculate that this may be an Islamist terror attack (hear hear in the absence of any information). However they then go onto speculate at great length that this may be a right wing attack based on this being the five year anniversary of Anders Brevik. Total hypocrites. Anyway let us hope that whoever are responsible for this latest atrocity are quickly and ruthlessly taken down.  

On the news this morning the Munich Police chief gave a short resume. 9 people are dead and a number were injured (He did say how many but I didn't catch how many) The man was acting alone and was an 18 yr old with dual Iranian/German nationality.

As for being an Islamist act of terror he did not say but as the Iranians are opposed to ISIS (different Muslim sects)  my guess is that he was acting alone.

He may have converted from Shia to Sunni as a part of being radicalised?

No evidence of this has been found in the the youth's home. They did however find papers indicating he was 'facinated' by mass killings and in particular the mass killing EXACTLY 5 years ago in Norway. He seems to have been little more than someone who has had problems for some time which were probably not recognised.

There is now a call for tighter gun control in Germany following these killings - but is it too late and too little?

When I was in Germany, or to be more specific, the city of Koblenz 2-3 weeks ago, walking around, I found in main street shopping areas, not quiet backstreet shops, gun shops quite openly selling what we would call sub machine guns which still fire, but the continuous fire facility deactivated, semi automatic rifles, pistols, (including the Glock type used by the youth) and knives of all  descriptions and sizes. So very easy to obtain, so thank goodness we have strict controls over here. Whilst not perfect they are at least a buffer against more weapons being available.

Here's a clip from a longer piece I found on Google about German Gun Laws......

Gun ownership in Germany is the highest in the European Union and the fourth highest in the world, with more guns legally owned per capita than in Mexico, Russia or South Africa. More than 5.4 million guns are registered as being in private hands. But it seems it would have been difficult for the Munich gunman to obtain his gun legally without a major failing of German ownership regulations.

To own a semi-automatic 9mm Glock pistol like the kind used in the Munich shootings, a citizen would have had to have been over 18, waited a year for his licence and undergone a psychological evaluation.

I only suggested the Shia to Sunni change as a possibility not as a fact.  Most Iranians are Shi'ite but there are large numbers of Sunni in Iran as well as smaller numbers of Christians, Jews, Bahai and Zoarastrians, so his family may not even have been Muslim.