Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

Crime is Down, Our Reforms are Working

Crime used to be down and Tory reforms used to work, except that they forgot to include the emerging threat from cyber crime but even taking that into account sexual assaults have increased, murders and serious assaults have gone up, whilst the reduction in 'long-term trends in “traditional” crimes such as burglary, car thefts and criminal damage show that the fall in crime since its 1995 peak has slowed down since 2005. The crime survey found there had been no change in the overall level of violent crime compared with the previous year.'  https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/21/crime-rate-online-offences-cybercrime-ons-figures

The Tories always claimed that their reforms were leading to a reduction in crime even though they ignored the fact that crime rates were dropping before they took power and started their reforms.  Better crime recording might have contributed to the increase but the government has been emphasising that for many years now so I would have thought that any increases from that would have dropped out of that by now, so maybe we are seeing an increase linked to the reduction in police numbers. Separate figures also released today show that police numbers dropped last year to their lowest since 2003 and we're now seeing crime creeping up.  The MPS has also seen an increase in gang and knife crime but deny that it is a result of less stop and search.  The population has also gone up across the country with an associated increase in language problems leading to more demand.

I have yet to see a reduction in the number of calls for mental health problems or missing people, although the nature of both of those has changed slightly with a better triage service being offered by the police in terms of mental health, and more people being classed as absent rather than missing but the amount of time mispers take up is still substantial.  HMG claimed that more multi agency working would help in these areas but that still doesn't seem to be the case particularly where other organisations have been faced with cuts and their own budget pressures.

I think we are being faced with a combination of staff cuts, increased population leading to increased demand, new types of crime hitting the stats, as well as austerity leading to pressures in people's home lives, but what do other posters think?  I also wonder what Penning would say if he was still Police and Fire minister given that his stock reply whenever crime stats were mentioned was that everything in the garden was rosy.

If you believe that you will also believe the moon is made of cream cheese! I look on this calim as a case of it as 'swings and roundabouts' some crime goes down but others increase. You cannot tell me that drug offences are going down and what about anti social behaviour. I don't know the stats they are working from or what year even, but I do know that 'dipping' on the London Underground and buses are on the increase and so are indecency offences (Flashing and Indecent Assaults showed a 5% increase last year.

I think they aught to see a better soothsayer

• Like 1

I thought I had already replied to this!

The reason I said I know is I still have contacts in my old force and we do chat now and again.

• Like 1

So back to the old points of the only regular measures of crime are the untrustworthy police recorded figures and the CSEW. What ever 'contacts' in forces say can only repeat what police recorded crime figures say or it is a 'feeling in their water' - rather a reflection of their own restricted view of their small part of their force.

Also I never knew you were in BTP, thought you were in a north east force?

I was in both.  Tynemouth Borough Force Jan 1964 Oct 1965 and BTP July 1980 Jul;y 2000 and RMP between times.

I was in both.  Tynemouth Borough Force Jan 1964 Oct 1965 and BTP July 1980 Jul;y 2000 and RMP between times.

It would suggest that you have more experience. Do the public feel safer, No.

It amazes me on how there has been no press re these figures. Especially now May is the Prime Minister. The Tories are definitely holding the press to ransom with Levinson.

It amazes me on how there has been no press re these figures. Especially now May is the Prime Minister. The Tories are definitely holding the press to ransom with Levinson.

?? The opening post has a link to the press article about the figures - that's how it became known.

Can I buy some of those drugs that you are taking??!! ;-)

TBH I've got some sympathy with keithboy's view as although the story was in the papers it didn't have much longevity and didn't get that much attention.

While crime figures may interest crime fighters it is pretty dull stuff to most.

The press prints what sells papers - always, which Z list celebrity was seen with who, a picture of some cellulite on a C lister and currently some skewed stories to show how well/bad we are doing post Brexit and what they can find to promote/put down some public figure (presently Corbyn).

99% of the public will tut tut about crime and then turn to the back pages.

To be fair, the "crime is falling" mantra hasn't been doled out since the continental terrorist campaign began in a concerted fashion. It's like it suddenly dawned on them that we are the only ones who can protect them and the public. Now the're busy bragging about how many armed officers they are "recruiting", although of course they can't be "recruited" as such, just drawn from current strength and subjected to a rigorous selection process which not all pass. And they only seem to be doing this in the Met, not sure who is protecting the other 50 million people Britain? 

• Like 1

To be fair, the "crime is falling" mantra hasn't been doled out since the continental terrorist campaign began in a concerted fashion. It's like it suddenly dawned on them that we are the only ones who can protect them and the public. Now the're busy bragging about how many armed officers they are "recruiting", although of course they can't be "recruited" as such, just drawn from current strength and subjected to a rigorous selection process which not all pass. And they only seem to be doing this in the Met, not sure who is protecting the other 50 million people Britain? 

And when they recruit those 1500 AFO's there will be 1500 less uniformed officers on the street.  That means that every uniformed officer is, potentially, in more danger with less back up. The powers that be will do what they always do, ignore it.

Edited by Zulu 22

Well that was kind of my point about drawing them from current strength! The press are making out that somehow there are qualified individuals out there who are being recruited into the police to be AFOs on top of current strength. 

There are 2 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this