Sign in to follow this  
PoliceUK

Possible terrorist attack in Nice, France

Not a possible terrorist attack but confirmed as one, with ISIS claiming it to be one of their's.

Deeply tragic, All those innocent people out in the evening celebrating a French public holiday. You have to think what was the mindset of this person. Blowing yourself up is an action that is over in a fraction of a second, but to drive for 2 kilometers through a crowd killing over 80 souls is a different matter altogether.

The first reaction by many would be to impose a mandatory death sentence on those who are involved and I don't mean only those who carry out an attack, but that is basically what they want to stir things up. Even so the main organisers of these groups are safe in their little rat holes somewhere in Iraq Libya or Syria.

That said, this is a new angle and has produced the greatest number of deaths and casualties, far more than a suicide bomber or a group of terrorists shooting their way through crowds. Using a vehicle to bring carnage has only been used before, as far as they can determine, by Palestinian terrorists in Israel. Imagine the carnage that would be caused say in Oxford Street on the run up to Christmas or during the Notting Hill carnival if it were to be repeated here!

In the papers a couple of days ago there was a suggestion (or was it news paper hype?) that there was a threat of a 'civil war' between European French and Islamic French or those who are from Arabic countries - I hope it doesn't come to that.

I just cannot even start to think of an effective answer.

• Like 1

One has to wonder why it hasn't happened here yet............

And stopped by a few brave, armed French police officers.........

Absolutely tragic and pointless waste of life.  Very, very sad.

• Like 1

It is awful & tragic.

I still don't understand why we give the individuals who carry out such atrocities the funeral rites their religion dictates to take them on to whatever paradise they believe exists. If they knew their remains were to be treated in such a way they could never pass on to the afterlife they believe in then their incentive might no longer exist.

My thoughts go out to the 84 people who lost their lives & the many more seriously injured through no fault of their own. Also to friends & relatives affected by this for many years to come.

Sad news indeed, RIP all those innocent folk caught up in this. I just hope and pray that no one gets a similar idea over here, we can't even force motor cycles to stop, let alone an LGV.

I wonder how this incident would have turned out in the UK given the relative lack of armed officers here.  The terrorist in Nice was armed with a gun but he was shot before doing anymore damage but if he had tried the same thing here he could continued his killing spree until an ARV turned up.  

84 people, including children, murdered by a bloke who's mind was twisted by a religious ideology.

Indiscriminate evil.

And I hear politicians saying how we will fight on.  It's not stopping though is it?  Attack after attack, death after death.  If 'we' know who these people are, then why are they still allowed to live alongside us?

Innocent people are being murdered, and there doesn't seem to be any justice............preachers continue to preach hate and we all just look on.  Some hand-wringing, a few tweets, a haunting photo of a young victim alongside a doll.

FFS - somebody should do something that is more than just "what a terrible tragedy, we stand alongside our French friends". 

Our security services are monitoring hundreds of people who are connected to these people.  I'm sure the French guys are too.

Remove them from the environment that decent, innocent people want to enjoy and live in.

The UK needs more AFOs.  That's not a matter up for debate as far as I'm concerned.  It's a fact.

It's been a terrible day, and my thoughts are for those murdered and injured, and their families.

The situation requires a World wide solution of stamping out this evil. The Islamic community throughout the world should unilaterally condemn this perverted version  of Islam.  The heartland is the middle East with Syria, Iraq, and Libya as the main hotbeds. It needs resolve from the whole World to eradicate this evil at source and cut of the serpents head.

The fanatics started with 9/11 and progressed through to other methods. These methods have generally been eradicated but are still available methods of terror.

What is indisputable is that the greatest terror and danger comes from religion.

• Like 1

The situation requires a World wide solution of stamping out this evil. The Islamic community throughout the world should unilaterally condemn this perverted version  of Islam.  The heartland is the middle East with Syria, Iraq, and Libya as the main hotbeds. It needs resolve from the whole World to eradicate this evil at source and cut of the serpents head.

The fanatics started with 9/11 and progressed through to other methods. These methods have generally been eradicated but are still available methods of terror.

What is indisputable is that the greatest terror and danger comes from religion.

Plus propagated by Blair and Bush

• Like 1

I can't help but notice yet again he was apparently a petty criminal. Euthanasia of all criminals may help.

I see reports now questioning why there were only a maximum of 62 National Police & 52 Provincial Police on duty in Nice in a national holiday. Apparently they'd expect there to be around 700.

If, God forbid, a similar thing were to happen here I wonder what sort of numbers of officers on duty would emerge?

I see reports now questioning why there were only a maximum of 62 National Police & 52 Provincial Police on duty in Nice in a national holiday. Apparently they'd expect there to be around 700.

If, God forbid, a similar thing were to happen here I wonder what sort of numbers of officers on duty would emerge?

Erm.  Most of the cops I know didn't elect to change their Bank Holidays, ............so, of course, my force puts extra cops on duty on Bank Holidays.........all at double time..........no........they don't.

They'd make phone calls to officers who already ignore their phones on rest days, because they've had enough and need time away from work more than they need the money.

I would imagine that those who heard the news, and were available, would get themselves into work.........but there aren't that many of us...........the numbers of officers available could (fairly) easily, and roughly, be worked out.

• Like 1

Sorry badly written. By emerge I didn't mean how many would put boots on the ground following the event, I meant I wondered what figures would be revealed to have been on duty prior to & during the atrocity. Nowhere near the number they're now saying was vastly understaffed in Nice.

• Like 1

There are 6 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this