skydiver

1% Pay Rise

...and think yourself lucky that you have a job as there are 1000's of people who want to join the police and as such we can justify keeping your wages down.

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/HR_personnel_and_staff_development/2016/Jul/06/treasury-announces-one-per-cent-pay-rise-for-officers_92287.html&commentadded=1

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/HR_personnel_and_staff_development/2016/Jul/06/bank-holidays-saved-but-officers-get-just-one-per-cent-pay-rise_92289.html

There is no recognition of our increasing work loads due to cuts or the everyday stresses and dangers of what we would but the pay remuneration board can however take into account the overall jobs market when setting our pay rise.  Greg Hands the treasury spokesman even has the front to say that the pay board is independent and effectively can make its own decisions.  The board is appointed by HMG, paid by HMG, told what parametres to use by HMG, it follows the Chancellors public sector pay guidelines, it doesn't have any PCs as members, and it isn't allowed to negotiate with the staff association, yet Hands classes that as independent!

What does 1% on average pay trises for most ranks mean?

It means that there has been suggestions of targeted rises so some may get more than 1% and some less.  The MPS has been a particular fan of this with BHH calling for it during the last year or two however the articles don't go into any depth about that.

It means that there has been suggestions of targeted rises so some may get more than 1% and some less.  The MPS has been a particular fan of this with BHH calling for it during the last year or two however the articles don't go into any depth about that.

Ah, the mushroom method of supervision.  Keep the troops in the dark and throw sh1t on them.

Ah, the mushroom method of supervision.  Keep the troops in the dark and throw sh1t on them.

TBH the article says that the Government hasn't provided any detail beyond the headline 1% figure and that bank holidays have been saved for the time being, so I guess the devil will be in the detail once that is revealed.  I can imagine that there will be a lot of annoyed response officers if they for example get 0.5% whilst DCs get 1.5% in order to attract applicants given that the MPS is having difficulty finding detectives.

...and think yourself lucky that you have a job as there are 1000's of people who want to join the police and as such we can justify keeping your wages down.

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/HR_personnel_and_staff_development/2016/Jul/06/treasury-announces-one-per-cent-pay-rise-for-officers_92287.html&commentadded=1

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/HR_personnel_and_staff_development/2016/Jul/06/bank-holidays-saved-but-officers-get-just-one-per-cent-pay-rise_92289.html

There is no recognition of our increasing work loads due to cuts or the everyday stresses and dangers of what we would but the pay remuneration board can however take into account the overall jobs market when setting our pay rise.  Greg Hands the treasury spokesman even has the front to say that the pay board is independent and effectively can make its own decisions.  The board is appointed by HMG, paid by HMG, told what parametres to use by HMG, it follows the Chancellors public sector pay guidelines, it doesn't have any PCs as members, and it isn't allowed to negotiate with the staff association, yet Hands classes that as independent!

Events relative to police pay and conditions over the past few years have shown that governments can virtually do what they wish to do to the Police Service without there being any positive form of real retaliation.  Any political party which holds power in the future now knows it can have policing on the cheap and will take full advantage of this fact.

• Like 1

Events relative to police pay and conditions over the past few years have shown that governments can virtually do what they wish to do to the Police Service without there being any positive form of real retaliation.  Any political party which holds power in the future now knows it can have policing on the cheap and will take full advantage of this fact.

That's correct.....there are thousands queuing at the door of my force every time they open the recruitment process.

It's the main reason that they seem to justify paltry rises for police officers and the fact we can't take industrial action. Easy targets and nothing will change. I've been saying it for years as cops generally don't take much notice where I work of government pay rises probably due to apathy and knowing nothing can be done.

The only things will change is mass resignations into other careers. I can't see many of the new recruits lasting 40 yrs on the front line. Our force has a particular skills gap emerging especially in CID.

Response work mostly on their own and in the small town I live in you can see an upsurge in drug dealing as our 'clients' know we're not about.....dealing with domestics, missing or vulnerable people. That's what government want.

I have asked the last 4 new starts on our shift how many years they have to do & what sort of pension they get. None of them know, nor do they seem to know when they progress through pay scales. The thousands waiting to join are like lemmings & unfortunately we're the ones at the front looking over the cliff edge.

I have asked the last 4 new starts on our shift how many years they have to do & what sort of pension they get. None of them know, nor do they seem to know when they progress through pay scales. The thousands waiting to join are like lemmings & unfortunately we're the ones at the front looking over the cliff edge.

Thank god for that. If people start to clock watch after the first couple of months in the job then they are really in trouble.

Absolutely. We need to be more like the NHS, the Civil Service and the Teachers who have powerful unions and can fight their corner better. They have the right to strike and therefore cannot be walked over in a hurry and they managed to achieve.... oh yes, 1%, exactly the same as us. 

We got a 1% pay rise last year, giving us a £17 a month pay rise and then changed our pension payments by stopping the NI rebate we used to get as civil servants, so in effect our pay rise is now a pay cut as I'm now getting paid £10 a month less than this time last year even though my outgoings have gone up! :(

Well being on a pension I (We) got 0% pension rise. Over the months I am 40p per month down on last year, so I am doing well.

Absolutely. We need to be more like the NHS, the Civil Service and the Teachers who have powerful unions and can fight their corner better. They have the right to strike and therefore cannot be walked over in a hurry and they managed to achieve.... oh yes, 1%, exactly the same as us. 

The effect of teachers, civil servants etc. taking industrial action takes some time to achieve a result but if the police had the right to do so, and used it, the effect would be immediate. However, I do not advocate that police officers should have a trade union with the attendant industrial rights of strike etc.  I  I have long said that police officers would only require to do the job `by the book' to make those who matter wake up and smell the coffee.

Whether HMG is correct in imposing the financial strictures it has introduced I do not know, but their is no point in police officers (and other public sector employees) complaining about their lot if they are not willing to take up the cudgels on their own behalf. My reasoning is either do something positive about your grievances ( real or imagined) or stop complaining. 

There are 38 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE