Sign in to follow this  
wotjuno

Direct entry Superintendent compares bobbies to binmen

Once a Rock Ape - Always a Rock Ape (from the apes of the Rock of Gibraltar)

(Knickname for a member of the RAF Regiment)

Cannon Fodder with wings!

I was thinking the same thing this morning as I emptied the bins in the city Centre....No wait a minute.  Sorry I must have been confused for a moment as I mixed up public order policing at a large pub crawl with emptying a bin.  I can see how the Super could have got the two things mixed up as the two jobs are so similar in nature!

Police are not the council just as police are not RAF Regiment, or Drs or Formula 1 drivers.  As such it is hard to make direct comparisons between the entry systems of each profession.  Policing is unique in that all officers have the same warranted powers no matter what rank they are with those powers having the ability to take away some ones freedom and to make a life change overnight.  We also have to have the ability to police a drunken domestic one minute and to start a murder investigation the next.  If the SMT don't realise that then they will be doing the front line a massive disservice with the Super showing a lot of arrogance by comparing PCs to what is a straight forward but low skilled job in a completely different arena.  Personally I wouldn't want to be managed by a person who doesn't appreciate my role.

On the flip side our direct entry super brought his kids into work the other day and introduced them to the sergeants and asked them to show them our computers and police cars.  I was impressed that he showed that much interest and enthusiasm in our role and wanted to pass that to his children.

I was thinking the same thing this morning as I emptied the bins in the city Centre....No wait a minute.  Sorry I must have been confused for a moment as I mixed up public order policing at a large pub crawl with emptying a bin.  I can see how the Super could have got the two things mixed up as the two jobs are so similar in nature!

Yes so easy when you consider that the police and bin men have to deal with the rubbish produced by society

I cannot ever see direct entry officers having any respect from the lower ranks. But i think that is the whole point of the process !

It would be good to hear comments from staff who work with some.

They should realise that it doesn't work that way. To get the best out of your men they have to respect you. There were officers in the mob that would get the NCO's and men to do almost anything because they had respect. Then there were those who they would have quite happily shot if they could have got away with it

As this Superintendnt left the RAF as a Squadron Leader, (equivalent army rank of Major) one must wonder into which of the two categories he would have fitted.,

Having read his actual remarks it makes me feel quite sick that a senior manager could view the workforce in such a condescending manner. And I hope his bins don't get emptied for a year!