centaurandrew

Take home pay - new constable

Hi there.

Just a quick question as someone potentially starting as a new constable soon.

I have seen the £19383 - £22443 starting pay scale. When I put this into a PAYE calculator it tells me that on an annual salary of £22443 I could expect to take home £1535 a month.

I had heard that under the new pension scheme contributions are quite high. Can anyone confirm what the actual net pay is after all deductions?

Apologies if covered before but I couldn't find it.

I don't know the answer but our NI contributions have just gone up which may not be reflected in an out of date calculator and we pay a lot of pension contributions which again won't show up on a run of the mill calculator.  Which one were you using?

I've just tried your calculator and got the same figure as you so I guess we were both using 12% as a pension contribution.  You may also lose between £24 and £50 or so per month in Fed subs and various Fed related life, sickness and medical insurances if you take them up as well.

• Like 1

£22443 minus £11000 tax allowance = £2288pa in tax which leaves £20155

£22443 @ 12% Pension = £2693 pa

So £20155 minus £2693 = £17462

Then NI , which i think is 12% too so another £2693pa

So leaves £14769 which is £1230 a month

Is this right ? Perhaps the pension contribution is not right ?

NI may be £1733 if you only pay NI on salary between £8000 and £22443 , so perhaos another £900 a year , this would take you just over £1300 a month

Edited by Pigman

Fed subs & Insur. policy if required. I am told many are taking £1250 home……………….another 2 probationers have left after 20 weeks in the job on our District. Don't know what is going wrong but seemingly there are 30% leaving within the first year.

20yr PC taking home less than £100 a day………….that is bad in 2017, that is what you have to look forward too!