Sign in to follow this  
IveToldYouOnce

What did they expect?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-36313944

Avon and Somerset were 'too busy' to attend a suspect drink driver.

The report states that they couldn't deploy officers "for operational reasons".  Simply put they ran out of coppers to deal with the jobs they had.  Unfortunately you can't just get a new one out of a box....

That happens regularly (at least in my force), I'm surprised it doesn't get reported more often.  I've known urgent jobs be outstanding for so long, that they get downgraded because, for instance, the offender has eventually left the scene.........

There are a finite number of coppers, and fewer than there were thanks to The Tories, so if people don't like the fact that we run out of coppers, they can feel free to report it to the BBC, or the police/PCC or maybe, just maybe, they could make their feelings known to their local MP.

No matter what 'investigation' they do, or apologies they make, they can't guarantee that this won't happen again. 

And forces need more AFOs..................

• Like 2

I am glad to see this situation being publicised. The general public seem to believe there is an inexhaustible supply of police officers on duty at a particular time and I think it is time that the truth was made known to the public about how few officers are available at any particular time. I retired 20 years ago and this situation prevailed even then.

Occasionally, the dearth of police officers on duty would be aired and senior officers would say this was not true and, not to put too fine a point on it, lie about police numbers. I recently spoke with a Sgt who had only 2 constables to patrol a town of 35,000 souls.

I hope we can now anticipate some honesty from ACPO ranks about how few police officers are on duty at any particular time but I won't be holding my breath. Might it not be feasible for the Fed. to use this fact as ammunition?

• Like 5

The A&S response sounds very weak the way the BBC reports it  'Avon and Somerset Police have apologised and said they will carry out a review into their response.'

If they were genuinely short of patrols and unable to allocate why apologise?

Better to explain the situation warts and all to the public who, after all, pay for us.

• Like 3

What is there to "review"? If they had no staff, why not just come straight out and say so?

Much as it pains me to say it, once the stupid woman has reached the safety of her own driveway, she ceases to become a risk. The cold, hard truth is that the Force probably based the incident grading on that, and as a consequence it was unlikely to be an emergency response.

Right? No. Reality? Absolutely.

• Like 1

Ceases to be a risk, but she has commited an offence and should not be allowed to get away with it.

Ceases to be a risk, but she has commited an offence and should not be allowed to get away with it.

Somewhat late for that I would have thought.

The apology from the force could read "We're sorry we ran out of officers.  The officers on duty were dealing with two people harrassing each other on Facebook, a neighbour dispute between two adults who should know better, a vulnerable misper from a care home who was allowed to walk out by the one person who was on duty there.  The last officer who was on duty had arrested a domestic violence suspect earlier in the shift and was on the phone to CPS for 50 minutes waiting for a decision.  We'd have more officers, but The Tories tell us that the reforms are working, so there you go.  That is their reforms working.  Please feel free to tell your MP."

I'm a little ray of sunshine today. :wOOt3:

• Like 11

What is there to "review"? If they had no staff, why not just come straight out and say so?

Much as it pains me to say it, once the stupid woman has reached the safety of her own driveway, she ceases to become a risk. The cold, hard truth is that the Force probably based the incident grading on that, and as a consequence it was unlikely to be an emergency response.

Right? No. Reality? Absolutely.

And the next time, she may kill someone when she should already have been taken off the road

And the next time, she may kill someone when she should already have been taken off the road

You could say that about any of the drink drivers who populate the roads.

Not much can be done about it now, it's too late. She'll come around again. And if she doesn't , well that's a good thing.

• Like 1

You could say that about any of the drink drivers who populate the roads.

Not much can be done about it now, it's too late. She'll come around again. And if she doesn't , well that's a good thing.

Yes you could say that about other drivers, but One death caused by driving with excess alcohol is one death too many, or would you be happy to wait until it happens?  If it was one of your loved ones who were killed?  Personally I was sick to death of having to deal with distraught relatives just because one person  could or would not curtail their drinking habits. Those irresponsible idiots never had to stand at someones door and experience the grief.

• Like 1

I'm not defending it, but the reality is that they didn't get to it through dealing with other things. That's life.

Consequently she has got away with it. She didn't injure anyone or hit anything and hopefully she will learn from it.

I'm not defending it, but the reality is that they didn't get to it through dealing with other things. That's life.

Consequently she has got away with it. She didn't injure anyone or hit anything and hopefully she will learn fromit through dealing with other things. That's life.

hopefully she will learn from it.

The point is, had they extracted the didget and dealt with the report properly then she certainty may have learned from it.

Would CID ignore a robbery in process call? On second thoughts don't answer that response would get it.

Edited by Zulu 22

It may deter a few more if one of the penalties apart from being fined, jailed etc was to loose your licence for at least 12 months then take an extended test before you get it back. For a 2nd conviction a permenant lifetime ban.

If they do it again they demonstrate that they cannot be trusted to act like a responsible person, so let them walk or use public transport. The same applies to those who use a mobile 'phone when driving. 1 x fixed penalty, then a 1 month ban the next time they are caught, effective immediately.

• Like 2

There are 11 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this