Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

Not the police this time

I am talking about the mass evacuation of fans from the stadium in Manchester after a fake bomb was found in one of the toilts. Later discovered to be a training aid for a private security company which had been forgotten about after the last session..

No name has been given out as to the company involved, but I can see a big compensation claim looming. What with refund of ticket costs, there will undoubtedly be compensation claims for travel, accomodation, not to say anything about what loss the Clubs had. Plus possibly emergency service attendance. Very red faces all round!

When I first hear about it on the radio I thought 'Oh no not again', another blame session for the police. However when it was revealed that a private company was almost certainly responsible the heat was almost certainly off. I wonder if some sort of spin will be applied to drag the police into it somehow. The question remains how well trained in the use of dogs to uncover explosive devices are the private companies? It sounds like something sloppy was going on.

I know for experience in the forces, when a training device was used, it was signed out to a named individual who had to hand it back in and sign the book/register as having returned it. No signature - all hell to play!

I see that PCC Harold Lloyd has been on the news again demanding another apology.   How much does he get paid a year for being a professional apology demander?  

Hmmmmm.

PCC Lloyd, presumably, wants the 'private security company' to apologise for making a mistake. 

I'm sure the company involved are highly embarrassed.

I would also have a certain amount of concern for the standards of the private company as they didn't find the bomb even though it was placed in a public place and was presumably spotted by a MOP or a steward.

• Like 1

Agreed, particularly with equipment such as a fake bomb!  You'd think they would check their inventory before winding up a job such as this.  Clearly mistakes have been made and no doubt there will be some form of financial compensation sought from the company concerned.  

I see that PCC Harold Lloyd has been on the news again demanding another apology.   How much does he get paid a year for being a professional apology demander?  

There was a Music Hall  performer called Harold Lloyd - is it a re-incartnation? :rolleyes:

I wonder which firm it was........surely not G4S........

No one has named them, and a certain high profile politician's husband is a major shareholder......but I'm sure that's all just a coincidence......

• Like 1

He is demanding ma Police enquiry to waste a few more resources.

No one has named them, and a certain high profile politician's husband is a major shareholder......but I'm sure that's all just a coincidence......

That same company did pass though my mind!

Now I've seen his full name, I realize he's an ageing comedian - a mate of Charlie Chaplin I think - it certainly explains everything about him  :tongue_cheek:

Oh god not that rubbish again, thought that had been put to bed. If you are talking about Theresa May and her husband - no he's not and never has been.

He (they) had a small amount of shares in the Prudential (along with many millions of others who have private pensions that invest in the Prudential).

Prudential, in turn have around a 6-7% stake in G4S.

So effectively he has a tiny stake in a company that has a tiny stake in G4S. If that's being a major shareholder then my idea of a major shareholder differs markedly from yours.

Furthermore they got those shares back in 2002 - some time before Prudential bought their stake in G4S.

• Like 1

The firms concerned are apparently Security Search Management & Solutions, Bexley, Kent, and Deacons Canines, from Anglesey

Edited by OldAfricaHand

I'll save the PCC some money.

The firms got together with MUFC and hid some stuff around the massive stadium to try and find it.

I'd imagine they thought they'd found them all and then left.  Somebody either didn't count them all out or count them all back in.

Either way, they forgot one.  Being human they've made a mistake and will now have learned from it.  Nobody died.  If anything what everybody got was a massive training exercise in evacuating a stadium.  Some supporters were put out, but the game has already been rescheduled.

Nobody needs sacking - they made a mistake.  It happens.  At some point somebody will want some compensation.  The police shouldn't have much to do with it to be honest.  I'm not sure why the PCC thinks the police should be involved at all.

Nothing criminal has been done, it was just a mistake.

• Like 5

There are 10 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this