TheAlmightyDada

Police Officers, does it ever annoy you when…

I’ve always wondered this.

I was trundling down the motorway, at 70 (Of course), and I stumbled across a police officer also doing 70. Now, all the folks doing their usual 85 – 90 slowed all the way down, although they still really wanted to pass the Police officer. Eventually one brave sole pulls out into the overtaking lane and tries 70.000002 MPH. This spurs the rest on, which creates a god almighty traffic jam tailing back for miles.

Does this annoy you guys or are you just happy that they stop speeding when they see you?

We don't make the legislation, we enforce it.  One of the problems is that many motorists are totally incompetent as drivers and are not fit or safe to drive at 50mph never mind any higher speeds.

We don't make the legislation, we enforce it.  One of the problems is that many motorists are totally incompetent as drivers and are not fit or safe to drive at 50mph never mind any higher speeds.

Can I point out this is a personal opinion not held by all officers carte blanche..........

the 70.00002 mph is academic, there is i believe a lattitude either way of a percentage of the speed limit to allow for variations in the speedometer and condition of the road way.

in practise unless you are absolutely stupid some forces have a policy of not prosecuting below 80 mph so you may just get away with it. however my licence is valuable to me and still prestine and i want to keep it that way.

On the same theme,  which is likely to be more accurate, the speedometer fitted to your vehicle or the indication of the speed given by a satnav?

Whilst i don't think they are totally imcompetent, there are a good percentage who do not have the experience or capability of driving at speeds that are allowed on motorways or dual carriageways. They get swept along trying to keep up, well out of their comfort zone and can prove to be a danger to themselves and others. Modern cars can be so quiet that they become unaware of the speed they may be doing, so when things go wrong - they go wrong - big style.

(And don't get me started on 'phone use by drivers - any drivers!)

OK.

If I'm doing 70 on the motorway, as indicated by my calibrated speedometer, and any other (calibrated) instruments in the car are all saying the same thing (which they will be), then I'm happy to know that I'm going as fast as any other (non-emergency services) vehicle out there should be doing.

From experience, any other car travelling at 70, is going to be showing more than that on their (non-calibrated) speedos.  That's just the way speedos seem to be setup.  So all things being equal, anybody who overtakes me in my marked police car, when I'm doing 70mph on the button, is speeding, and more than that, they're "taking the mick".........and as such will get pulled over, just to have a word..........which usually starts with "I'm in a marked police vehicle, doing the maximum speed limit, your speedo must have been showing nearer 80, ...........what did you think was going to happen?  How do you think it looks to other drivers if I were to ignore that?".  We need to be seen to be enforcing the law, even when we are going to use some discretion in dealing with people.

I know the speedo in my private car reads higher than the actual speed I'm doing, and I don't see any advantage to going say, 4mph faster, just to overtake them and then potentially put myself in situation where I am going to be spoken to.  Just don't see the point.  I'll get to where I'm going all the same.  Traffic coppers are, generally, only interesting to other traffic coppers - and even that's not guaranteed;I can read a tacho chart with the best of them, but I don't have a million stories of 'charts I have seen'.......I know some proper traffic geeks who do have those stories.........so why would you want to do anything that got their attention?

It doesn't annoy me but it does make me laugh. I like to watch cars as they tank down the motorway then realise there is a police car in front of them so they nonchalantly try to brake without trying to brake in an obvious oh look there's the police way.  I'm not a traffic cop so the only time I'm on a motorway in a marked  vehicle is when I'm going somewhere specific.  That status also means that I'm not allowed by my force to stop people or to respond to incidents, neither does my bog standard response car have a calibrated speedo.  The public BTW doesn't know that as all they see is a marked car doing 70 so they slow down and start acting like Miss Daisy as they creep past.  

On the other hand it annoys me when people see a HATO or traffic car doing 65 mph but don't dare overtake because at least at that speed the MOP does have a little leeway to get past without breaking the speed limit.

Traffic officers used to patrol at 50 or 80-85 to avoid this issue of creating problems with traffic flow. They seem more reluctant to do this now as in my force a couple have been prosecuted for excess speed!

Traffic officers used to patrol at 50 or 80-85 to avoid this issue of creating problems with traffic flow. They seem more reluctant to do this now as in my force a couple have been prosecuted for excess speed!

I got threatened with that once.

And I thought "exemptions for a policing purpose......?"...........I was on my way to an RTC........ :huh:

When I was in Traffic the cruise control was invariably set to 50mph for this very reason. And yet there would still be people terrified of overtaking.

I usually drive at 58 on motorway patrol so I can overtake HGVs but other motorists can overtake me without having to exceed the limit. If I'm doing an enforcement run (looking for offences) then I will exceed the speed limit. That was the way I was trained. I don't know any motorway officer who has been prosecuted for speeding in my force whilst on routine motorway patrol. Going through a gatso however on an A road without blue lights will generate an NIP and a requirement to provide a reason on a report.

I usually drive around 10% under the limit in a marked car so people can overtake if they wish and I don't cause a queue behind me! It only annoys me if someone comes tearing past really taking the mick!

Several years ago I had the opportunity to test-drive a Range Rover as a potential Traffic vehicle. I did the A3,M25,A22 at 70-ish, joining the M25 at J10 anti-clockwise. After about 5 mins the anonymous vehicle on the M25 was called and asked to leave the motorway to allow it to flow freely; apparently I'd caused a 2-mile tailback!!