OldAfricaHand

Hillsborough Verdict

It appears from the Sky News report that the jury in the Hillsborough Inquest have returned a verdict of "Unlawful Killing".

They also ruled that the supporters behaviour did not contribute to the disaster.

I think this is the verdict that he government wanted ......................No doubt they will now be looking for scapegoats! 

Sad

Edited by OldAfricaHand
  • Like 2

Why sad? A jury heard evidence for over two years and have come to a conclusion. That's British Justice.

Sent from me using witchcraft

You misunderstand. My sadness is that the Government will now be looking for scapegoats - sometimes these matters are best left to lie after so long.

I am not able to comment on the jury's verdict as I didn't hear the evidence but it seems mighty strange to me that the supporters contributed not at all to the events of the day. Also, whenever I see the howling mobs and media surrounding a case, I wonder to myself whether the ends of justice will be served or whether another agenda is at play.

• Like 3

Yes the jury have returned a verdict which we have to accept. I do find it very strange that there was no blame on any of the Liverpool fans. None of the fans who died had any blame at all. They were innocent. But we have all seen the frenzied behaviour of the crowd to get into the ground and force their way into those sections. I have been to Anfield before safety measures. The Kop would be full but you got onto it by throwing yourself into the rear of the crowd. The crowd surged forward and, there you were halfway down the Kop. It was standard practise.

Everyone involved in that semi final bore some degree of culpability, some more than others.

As far as I can recall not one Liverpool fan has ever been held responsible for the deaths at the Hysell stadium when Roman fans were killed,

The families now have the verdict they wanted but they still, rightfully feel the loss.

And before anyone says it, I was a regular attendee at Anfield.

• Like 2

It's the anticipated verdict & the one the government wanted. I'm sure theresa's doing a jig in delight. As a casual observer I could have come up with this verdict 2 years ago as what I have seen has always been loaded towards this. Sadly it won't bring anyone back.

• Like 3

It has never been made fully clear why the 'fans' (I use the term loosley) chose to wait until just before kick off to gain entry into the stadium. Perhaps it WAS true that many were so intent on throwing the last millilitre of beer down their throats until it was too late to make an orderly entry into the ground.

Yes perhaps the Ground Commander was inexperienced and should not have been given the task without that vital training, who's fault was that? Yes the turnstiles should not have been opened when they did. Yes the ambulance service and others were too late on the scene to help. Yes there was some sort of shameful cover up by the police. But was not the catalyst of the problem caused by the surge of fans into the ground which was not licenced to hold as many as there were? Who is going to carry the can for that? Were too many tickets sold before-hand? How many of those outside didn't have tickets and were using the mass surge tactics to beat the turnstiles? I cannot remember reading any fact/figures on either point.

Then supposing the turnstiles had not been opened.... it was given out in the inquests that the Superintendant asked for the gates to be opened because of the crowd crush that was outside, when he stated that someone would have been killed. Killed inside or outside the ground Is it a case of the devil and the deep blue sea? Or is it not a case of "damned if they did and damned if they didn't? Literally no escape in any event for the police.

So how come the supporters outside are not being held to blame in any measure. Blood tests were carried out I believe on the victims.... but they were already in the ground, not the ones that caused the problem to be created.

I still think something is very skewed with this verdict and not all the evidence has been fully investigated or examined.

• Like 5

It's the anticipated verdict & the one the government wanted. I'm sure theresa's doing a jig in delight. As a casual observer I could have come up with this verdict 2 years ago as what I have seen has always been loaded towards this. Sadly it won't bring anyone back.

Yes it was a verdict I predicted over two years ago, with the exception that I included culpability by the late fans as well.  The only innocent ones involved in all of this were the 96 victims.

It has never been made fully clear why the 'fans' (I use the term loosley) chose to wait until just before kick off to gain entry into the stadium. Perhaps it WAS true that many were so intent on throwing the last millilitre of beer down their throats until it was too late to make an orderly entry into the ground.

Yes perhaps the Ground Commander was inexperienced and should not have been given the task without that vital training, who's fault was that? Yes the turnstiles should not have been opened when they did. Yes the ambulance service and others were too late on the scene to help. Yes there was some sort of shameful cover up by the police. But was not the catalyst of the problem caused by the surge of fans into the ground which was not licenced to hold as many as there were? Who is going to carry the can for that? Were too many tickets sold before-hand? How many of those outside didn't have tickets and were using the mass surge tactics to beat the turnstiles? I cannot remember reading any fact/figures on either point.

Then supposing the turnstiles had not been opened.... it was given out in the inquests that the Superintendant asked for the gates to be opened because of the crowd crush that was outside, when he stated that someone would have been killed. Killed inside or outside the ground Is it a case of the devil and the deep blue sea? Or is it not a case of "damned if they did and damned if they didn't? Literally no escape in any event for the police.

So how come the supporters outside are not being held to blame in any measure. Blood tests were carried out I believe on the victims.... but they were already in the ground, not the ones that caused the problem to be created.

I still think something is very skewed with this verdict and not all the evidence has been fully investigated or examined.

I can see what you are saying Br. but surely, all the evidence has been examined now. After all, this time they had two years to look at all the facts.

Sorry Westie but I don't agree. There does not seem to be any culpability pointed towards the supporters who rushed the turnstiles. If that had not happened then the deaths would not have taken place. What happend afterwards with regard to the falsification of evidence is utterly deplorable but the sequence of events started well before that.

I worked on too many football matches not to know how supporters behave before and after a match when they have had a few drinks. (In the sub division I worked,  we had 2 premier league teams sharing Selhurst Park for a while and don't even mention MIllwall!).They are virtually uncontrolable. This SHOULD have been taken into account!

• Like 4

When you watch the film from that day you will not see one police officer pushing any fans other than to try and pull down the fences and try and lift fans out. When you try to get into a stand that is so full that you cannot enter without pushing fans in the back common sense tells you to try another stand. It was the fans that day who did the pushing not police officers.

On another site one of those fans who was there on the day and arrived late, confirmed he was one of those pushing that day and has had to live with it eversince. I feel so sorry for those who got there in plenty of time and were standing at the front of the stand and paid for it with there lives. To say that what happened had nothing to do with the Liverpool fans is rubbish, they refuse to take any part of the blame.

• Like 3

When you watch the film from that day you will not see one police officer pushing any fans other than to try and pull down the fences and try and lift fans out. When you try to get into a stand that is so full that you cannot enter without pushing fans in the back common sense tells you to try another stand. It was the fans that day who did the pushing not police officers.

On another site one of those fans who was there on the day and arrived late, confirmed he was one of those pushing that day and has had to live with it eversince. I feel so sorry for those who got there in plenty of time and were standing at the front of the stand and paid for it with there lives. To say that what happened had nothing to do with the Liverpool fans is rubbish, they refuse to take any part of the blame.

Sadly after a couple of drinks the mob mentality takes over and common sense doesn't even come into it.

• Like 1

Simple solution.  Ban spectators at football matches, everyone watches it on the telly from the comfort of their own livingroom, no fighting, no-one placed at any risk, no traffic jams, no huge drain on police resources, and the ridiculously overpaid men who kick a ball about a football pitch for a living have to take a massive wage cut due to the fall in revenue.   Everyone's a winner!  

• Like 1

Simple solution.  Ban spectators at football matches, everyone watches it on the telly from the comfort of their own livingroom, no fighting, no-one placed at any risk, no traffic jams, no huge drain on police resources, and the ridiculously overpaid men who kick a ball about a football pitch for a living have to take a massive wage cut due to the fall in revenue.   Everyone's a winner!  

Seems a grand idea! The only fall in revenue would actually be from things like kit / souvenir / pie & Bovril sales because those watching it on TV would have to pay a significant premium to watch the games and, of course, to fit all the Premier League games in, the games would need to be played over a more extended period - or every club given its own TV channel (I think most have them already?) ................ But it may happen - particularly if we stay in the EU and they decide to ban personal attendance at sporting functions :tongue_cheek:

That's a great idea Grumpy, but sadly I can't see that happening. I would love to see those guys who kick the ball around take a pay cut, but that's another thread.

Sorry Westie but I don't agree. There does not seem to be any culpability pointed towards the supporters who rushed the turnstiles. If that had not happened then the deaths would not have taken place. What happend afterwards with regard to the falsification of evidence is utterly deplorable but the sequence of events started well before that.

I worked on too many football matches to know how supporters behave before and after a match when they have had a few drinks. (In the sub division I worked,  we had 2 premier league teams sharing Selhurst Park for a while and don't even mention MIllwall!).They are virtually uncontrolable. This SHOULD have been taken into account!

I can see what you mean now Br. I too have policed a large number of matches during my service, and it's a pity that those 'fans' don't behave in much  the same way that rugby union fans do, but that's another story.

• Like 2

There are 235 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE