Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

Profile of the Next PCC Election

The next PCC election is on 5/05 but so far the level of apathy being displayed by both public and candidates doesn't bode well for any increase in turnout over the first elections 3 years ago.  HMG must be hoping that more people will vote this time around as they are being held on the same day as the local council vote and EU referendum but if my area is anything to go by I would be really surprised if the turnout increases much at all.

I have noticed a few changes this time around.  There are more candidates in my area than last time (5 as opposed to 3) and one of them has made the effort to visit my village to canvas for our votes, which none managed last time around.  4 out of 5 candidates are however from mainstream parties and the only story I've seen in the local press is about whether any of the candidates will have a deputy or not, so hardly stirring stuff.  

One of the candidates accompanied officers on the night time economy duty last week but he didn't talk to any of us before or after the briefing and just sat slumped in the corner dressed in a scruffy jacket, so not a very professional image.  

Bearing in mind purdah and not wishing to get into a party v party debate, how have other forum members found the election so far?

Actually, since my last trip into nirvana,  AKA this forum, I have had a call at my door by representatives of the prospective PCC for Durham - Ron Hogg an Ex CC of Durham. He's in it for a 2nd time round. Would I be voting? "No" Was my reply. "Why". Was the next question? My reply was met with an uneasy silence but basically I said that the police service should not be politicised and that is evident since the last round. It is almost certainly waste of money and I cannot see any benefit.

They started to explain that Ron Hogg is not political but I interupted and asked. "So I asked why in that case is your car displaying labour posters and I do believe he is being partially funded by the local labour party." At this they appologised for troubling me and left.

Don't get me wrong, Ron Hogg is a decent sort of guy, his previous reputation proves this, but the office of the PCC is tainted with political brush.

• Like 2

In ours we have two ex bobbies amongst the four candidates. Both professing only they can sort the force out. Should be interesting!

I will not be voting for anyone as PPC. One of the worst systems invented. It is all about gaining political control of the Police Service. Bring back the old Police Committee's.

• Like 2

I will not be voting for anyone as PPC. One of the worst systems invented. It is all about gaining political control of the Police Service. Bring back the old Police Committee's.

Couldn't agree more.  I wrote something similar on my voting slip last time.

I'll be doing the same this time round.

I have neither seen, nor heard, anything from any prospective PCC this year.....it's only that I've had a voting card through the post that reminded me that a vote was actually going on.

Another winning idea and implementation from HMG.  Brilliant. 

• Like 1

ITYO, I agree with you completely, and I've also thought of writing something (sensible) on my voting slip, but I really can't see the point, they just put it to one side and it gets called 'spoilt' As far as the position of PCC goes, I think of course it's wrong to link the position to any political party, all the candidates are doing is hoping to be elected on a very high salary, and then of course there is the deputies salary etc.etc. I wish our candidate would knock on my front door, my comments would be along the same lines as Bikerider. 

They count the spoiled votes............so they know that somebody has attended the voting booth, but (for whatever reason) disagrees with the process or candidates.  Like writing "none of the above"......

It might not make a difference, but if everybody did it, it might.  'They' certainly don't listen to people bitching and moaning about anything else 'they' decide to do.

Still.  The country voted for them, so it gets what it deserves.  Unfortunately, I as an individual didn't vote for the Tories, so I'm getting something I don't deserve.

I don't think that I am the only one who feels thoroughly let down and despised by the ruling elite.  I think the term 'disenfranchised' is one that The Press/Media seem to use.  There was nothing wrong with the Police Authorities was there?  Apart from them not being aligned to specific political parties I guess, which made them difficult to control by the Tories I guess.

So.  In summary.  I shall 'vote'.  Thus showing The Man that I disagree with what he has imposed upon me.

I don't think that I am the only one who feels thoroughly let down and despised by the ruling elite.  I think the term 'disenfranchised' is one that The Press/Media seem to use.  There was nothing wrong with the Police Authorities was there?  Apart from them not being aligned to specific political parties I guess, which made them difficult to control by the Tories I guess.

The old system could have been tweaked to give it a higher profile which is one of the aims the Tories gave when imposing the current system.  Also the police authorities were not political as their members came from different parties and represented the interests of people from across the entire district rather than one particular party as is mainly the case with PCCs.  I also object to plans to enlarge their remit to take over the Fire authorities and potentially even the ambulance service.  There is no public demand for PCCs as they stand let alone PCCs with more power and a wider remit.

HMG must be hoping that more people will vote this time around as they are being held on the same day as the local council vote and EU referendum

You're giving HMG far too much credit. You should know that they don't really do 'common sense'! While there are local elections on the same day as the PCC vote, the EU vote isn't until 23rd June.

Locally, for the PCC in Avon & Somerset, our 'turnout' last time around was under 20%. I can't really see that it'll be too much different this time around. It would make much more sense in my mind to 'synchronise' elections in the UK (and probably elsewhere) so that if you did need to vote in several elections, you could do it all in one visit rather than having to traipse backwards & forwards at some politicians whim.

I am seriously thinking of spoiling by ballot paper. It would be interesting what would happen if the spoiled papers out numbered the other votes cast. Would "Spoiled" be elected ?

In our area we are having the PCC vote and nothing else, so I won't be holding my breath for a big turn out. No idea who the people standing are as I haven't seen any reference to them in either local press or 'flyers'. Except for the current sitting PCC (ex tory councillor) who sent a nice coloured brochure pointing out what he has done 'for our community' (would that include closing down at least three police stations) and the fact that his office - him, a deputy and six workers - only cost one and a half million pounds last year.

I will not be voting for a PPC. It is all about gaining political control over the Police Service.

The DM is complaining that HMG has only spent £2700 so far promoting the upcoming PCC election.  I know that I should approach a DM with a lot of caution and to expect any claim they make to be grossly exaggerated but even taking that into account it does seem that HMG hasn't spent much money or time promoting the election.  I would have thought they would have made more effort considering it was one of their flagship policies during the last parliament and was championed so strongly by Ms May. It will be interesting to see  what is said post election if the turnout it similar to the last one.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Tories concentrate on the claim that PCCs are more democratic than police authorities and that any new system takes time to find its feet.

• Like 1

There are 37 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this