Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

WhatsApp

There was a bit of disturbing news on the radio yesterday that I have just been reminded of and that is something called 'End to End Encryption'.

As I understand it, this means a text or speach can be sent from one person to another which is encrypted from the senders 'phone until it reaches the recipients phone. The thing that unsettles me is there is no way of breaking the encryption. Not even the 'WhatsApp' tecnical boffins will be able to do it. There is absolutely no way open to police or security services to break this easily - at present.

This amounts to all the Christmas's have come at once to terrorists and organised crime, whom I am certain will jump on the bandwagon.

Applying for a warrant to access the data will be pointless because the company simply cannot access the information them selves. It was claimed that the only weak spots are the phones that recieve or send the messages. Frankly, if this is correct this will worry me.

Someone please tell me what I heard was a spoof, or is not as serious as depicted.

I suspect that our security services, the CIA, Mossad, etc will have a way around this, not that they're likely to admit that or publicise it.  

• Like 1

Its definitely not a spoof and even if it was there are other messaging apps which already had similar encryption.  It is getting harder and harder for us to operate as crims are switched on and hardware providers are making more and more sophisticated kit. As seen in the media already the I phone 6 as the FBI knows well is almost impossible to crack without the PIN.

On the flip side of the argument my wife has a positive experience of encryption.  She was born in Iran a place where freedom of speech sometimes comes at a very high price.  As such apps such as Telegram are very popular as they are encrypted allowing people to talk more freely than if it wasn't available.  I know that means that criminals can also take advantage but it does show one positive side to the problem.

• Like 2

I must be the only one then, as I think this is fantastic news. For far too long, internet communication has been massively insecure, meaning that both criminals and govt agencies were able to use this opening to their own advantage. Now, for the moment anyway, that appears to have been closed off to both sides.

WhatsApp have been criticised strongly by various governments over the past few years, for not providing sufficient security and privacy in its app. Now they appear to have addressed those issues, people are complaining because they've made it too secure!!! You couldn't make it up!

Sadly, better security comes at the price of Government agencies not being able to snoop at the data at their will. And a good thing too. What did they think was going to happen?

'Hi, we've tightened up the security for our app but you can still look at anything!'  It's hardly great security if a section of society can still access it.

If your communications are legitimate and above board you have nothing to fear. We are talking of security for criminals and terrorist and their actions against society. The Government is sworn to protect its citizens.

• Like 1

Having got a request to upgrade my WhatsApp this morning, I did so and then found that almost all my contacts had a message saying end-to-end encryption was now in place. However, a number of my contacts in other countries do not have a similar message (including Kenya and Thailand but not China nor India). So it looks as if the end-to-end encryption isn't total - time will tell, I guess?

What's all the fuss over? If you are Mr Big then would you trust WhatsApp??? Would you allow yourself to be found with a phone with WhatsApp info on it?!

For the sake of not advertising the obvious I'll leave it there........

Surely, if end to end encryption is such a dangerous 'step forward' the the government of the day just need to make that situation unlawful, if that can be done. I say that as someone who admits to being I.T. illiterate.

You would have to have a world wide ban for that to work. We can all access sites in the USA, Russia, Asia etc.  Like the celebrity threesome whish has an injunction in the UK but is widely available in the USA.

What's all the fuss over? If you are Mr Big then would you trust WhatsApp??? Would you allow yourself to be found with a phone with WhatsApp info on it?!

For the sake of not advertising the obvious I'll leave it there........

My partner found that her 'phone had been linked in to WhatsApp even without her asking for it. A done deal! No if's, but's, why's or wherefore's. It came via her daughter's phone where she had thought it was a good idea and uploaded it then it has it spread like a bad smell.  (Airhead Blond! Say no more).

I'm slightly lost...isn't this good news? Most people send their photos and videos via WhatsApp, especially when they're abroad because it's free. Now its much more secure and free?

Encrypted communication isn't a new thing

If terrorists use it to organise themselves and send info about hurting innocent people, then it's bad as those conversations can't be intercepted and people can't be protected from it.

If I'm using it to send pictures of the cake I've just baked to my mum, then it's a good thing because people can't intercept it and know about my culinary abilities.

It means you can trust the safety and security of the communication medium that you're using with another person (or persons).  Whether you can trust the person(s) at the other end of your communication now becomes the issue.........

• Like 2