I wonder, sometimes, if Judges live in the real world. In a few years he will commit a similar offence again and someone else will lose their life needlessly.

• Like 2

Outrageous! I am (not very often) lost for words but 9 years for taking a young man's life. Knife crime to me is the same as gun crime - anyone who carries a weapon has, at the very least at the back of their mind, the intent to use it :angry:

• Like 2

What has also been missed and not announced in the initial report was that it was known that he took a knife to school on several occasions, also on the day of the killing he was also in possession of a knuckleduster.

Best of it is, it'll be in some open young offenders institution with better facilities available to him than other young people who don't have a lot but try to live decent, law abiding lives.  The ar$ehole will probably end up with a degree or a trade by the time he comes out and have people falling over themselves to help him.  

Justice??  Only in the UK!

• Like 3

Had the jury in this case returned a verdict of guilty of murder then latters would have been different. For whatever reason, the jury chose to convict of the lesser crime of culpable homicide (the Scottish equivalent of manslaughter) and that obviously made a difference.

I'm not against the jury system and believe juries usually return the correct verdict but it never ceases to amaze me that we have professionally qualified lawyers in  lower courts dealing with many of the lesser crimes and offences but when it comes to the really serious crimes we turn the issue over to members of the public, with no legal training whatsoever.

I suppose nothing in this world is perfect.

• Like 1