Sign in to follow this  
IveToldYouOnce

1500 more AFOs

.............are going to be 'created'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35940233

So says Cameron.  And if he says it, then it happens.  Or if he says it won't happen, then it won't.  Or it will.  It depends really.  Somebody tell him which way the wind is blowing and he'll make a decision then.  Or not.  Maybe if he can be arsed, he'll set his killer attack dog May onto the task - she motivates cops in a way that has to be seen to be believed.

AFOs, unfortunately, do not come from the AFO tree.  Not all cops can be AFOs - not all cops WANT to be AFOs.  The standards and assessments and the time it takes to train them, and keep them trained.............all costs money, time, effort.........and.........well, wouldn't-you-know-it, the Tories have been reducing the number of cops available since they've been able to.

Because of the drop in fitness standard, the pool is generally less fit, which I know is a minor issue, but an issue none-the-less.

Because of cutbacks, training has been reduced - or made 'more cost effective' if you want to put some Tory spin on it.  They reduced the number of shots required for the qualification shoots, because we were using too many bullets.......and when you're trying to save the money for a few hundred rounds of ammo, then you really are in the s**t. 

AFO numbers in my region have dropped dramatically.  The ones left are working more overtime, and covering a bigger area.  You can figure out what's happened to response times.

So, where was I?  Oh yes, the pool from which to select AFOs has got considerably smaller.  Then there's the 'small' issue of what cops have to go through if they do pull the trigger and the (practically) zero support they get from their management - the chaps involved in the Tube shooting have had 11 years of worry........Cressida got a promotion, they had to go through 11 years of waiting to decide if they were going to be going to court.

Cameron is 'scared' of Paris-style attack outside of London?  So he f*****g should be.  AFO support, in any numbers to make any discernible difference during an attack is going to take some considerable investment - and the Tories hate giving money to cops, so where's that coming from? Oh, last year he said there was £143 million (over 5 years) to fund it.  Brilliant.  I'm guessing that forces will see that...........well, eventually...........I'm pretty sure my force hasn't seen any yet.  Maybe it's money happening to 'other forces'.  We scraped the bottom of the barrel long ago - it's empty.  In fact, the bottom of the barrel is now so thin from scraping that we have effectively made it a veneer.

I can only think that an actual absence of hardware is the thing stopping it happening on a daily basis. Well, that and some very brave and very clever people behind the scenes getting involved in stopping it at source.............and when they are caught, we don't throw them out of the country either.  We let them stay here because sending them back to their own country is 'dangerous' for them..........if all my Koi carp were being eaten by a rabid stork (just go with the presumption that storks can be rabid), I wouldn't capture the stork and then release it after giving it a 'good telling off', or put it through some aversion therapy to make it want to eat grass instead of juicy fish.  If I couldn't kill it, I'd release it miles and miles and miles away from my pond, so far away that it couldn't find it's way back.....

• Like 5

Presumably the new AFOs are going to come from existing officers which means that the rest of the front line will be stretched just that little bit further to accommodate the process from selection, to training and then the regular shifts they need to remain current.  I doubt if any extra new officers will be brought in to make up for those changes.  Overall though when compared to Paris the number of armed officers still looks woefully low. 

• Like 3

Had Police numbers not been reduced then the numbers might, I repeat, might have been met, but now there is no chance. Of course the big question is, "Who on earth would want to be an AFO?

This AFO tree.... I'm presuming that that's the one that's planted next to the money tree?

Budget cuts = less frontline officers (no matter how "Call me Dave" (or his dog) spins it).

Budget cuts = less money for training.

Budget cuts = less money to procure and maintain the weapons.

1,500 more AFO's = still less frontline officers (as the budget cuts mean that there's no money to recruit (enough) new officers)

1,500 more AFO's = more weapons. Can't afford those due to the budget cuts.

1,500 more AFO's = more money for both initial and requalification training. Can't afford that due to the budget cuts.

Now, I'm no George Osbourne and I only got O Level maths. But even I can see that that's just never going to add up.

Maybe "Call me Dave" can have a bit of a whip round in the Tory party and rustle up some water pistols. :doh2:

• Like 3

The recent news clip of the follow up incidents in Brussells where a suspect was shot in the leg, showed him being dragged away by two officers, one holding an arm and the other a leg. Imagine the outcry if that was to take place in the UK following a shooting indeed who would want to be a firearms officer, I personally had enough to do with them in the Army.

• Like 3

BHH has made representations to the Police Remuneration bods to have all the money that should be going towards a blanket 1% pay-rise held back to encourage/bribe (delete as necessary) Officers to fill the new 650 Firearms Officers roles he has promised &/or the 800 DCs he is short so, for those of us who will only carry a firearm after hell freezes over & cannot go over to the dark side due to rank ( no PS-DS swap over permitted) it's a case of grin & bear it!!

BHH has made representations to the Police Remuneration bods to have all the money that should be going towards a blanket 1% pay-rise held back to encourage/bribe (delete as necessary) Officers to fill the new 650 Firearms Officers roles he has promised &/or the 800 DCs he is short so, for those of us who will only carry a firearm after hell freezes over & cannot go over to the dark side due to rank ( no PS-DS swap over permitted) it's a case of grin & bear it!!

That is an awful thing for him to consider - so after the 'lucky' AFOs leave, they'll get more money, and the 'poor unfortunates' left behind, will have to do more work for less money (in real terms).

Brilliant.

It is with master decisions such as this, that we shall win the war............

Still.  It's an easier thing to do than actually change the environment/world that AFOs operate in.

• Like 1

Had Police numbers not been reduced then the numbers might, I repeat, might have been met, but now there is no chance. Of course the big question is, "Who on earth would want to be an AFO?

The answer to that Zulu, is, (in my opinion) although not in all cases, the wrong sort of person in my experience unfortunately.

If that is the case and taken along side the new shift pattern it will be a double whammy of rubbish new terms and conditions hitting front line response officers in the MPS.  I feel really sorry for London PCs.

Read elsewhere today(not a News outlet, but Private Met Pol FB page) that out of the 600 the Met wants, they have only had 68 applications.

Given the current suspicion about the IPCC etc, I guess many who would of applied in the past are now saying "Sod that for a game."

As an ex AFO there is now no way, short of a Zombie Apocalypse, I will carry a police firearm arm again. This also includes Taser.

Sent from the dark side of a Tachograph!!!

I have O Level maths and £143M for 1,500 cops over five years = £19k per year per cop.

I don't think that would cover the wages let alone the equipment.

Sent from me using witchcraft

• Like 1

I suspect that they will move the goal post for recruits where they can be required to firearms train.  A team of AFO's with little, or no ,Policing experience.

The goal posts have been moved so many times that they are now near the corner flag.

• Like 1

Apparently the forces are going to have to fund 1/3 and the Home office the remainder

Whic means squeezing the front line even further.

We have advertised for new AFO's……... when the money arrives from government……..and seemingly there have been plenty of takers………..many only been in the door 2 mins and stating that response is s**t and they are applying, as there is nothing else to go for. CID seems to be a non starter these days……..other than that there are no others jobs.

There are 49 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this