Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

School Reform - Parallels with Police Reform?

The education secretary, Nicky Morgan, seems dead set on imposing academies on England whether teachers or parents want them, or whether they have proved to be more successful than the current way they are organised.  I've heard Morgan use similar arguments to May when to justify the changes including the removal of targets and replacement with local control.

As with May the reform is being imposed, as with police reform it seems to have more to do with Tory dogma than anything else and seems to be change for the sake of change,  as with the police very few teachers seem to agree with it, and as with the police there is very little ground swell of public opinion calling for the changes.  One final parallel is the reception given to Morgan at the NUSAWT by the delegates which is similar to that May received at the Fed conference.

What do you think?

People don't like change generally but it's called raising standards.

If most of the teachers are against the reform - I'd say it's probably justified. Once went to a friends BBQ that was full of teachers - never felt so out of step in conservation - funny lot!

• Like 2

With an ex wife and two children who are/were teachers I know what you mean. At least my son (one of the teachers has a 'normal' side.

I police in an area where the school has changed to an academy and they brought in strict policies. Blazer & ties must be worn or kids sent home, pens & pencils must be brought to school or kids sent home, PE kit brought or sent home etc……….. we use to see many kids walking back home and asked them why they were not at school, they soon got the message and complied. Everyone was given one free shirt, blazer & tie and it was amazing to see kid dressed in a uniform who never wore one before.

On the flip side, 20 teachers were made redundant/released. They all had to reapply for their jobs and many now teach 2 to 3 topics for the same money. It is really a cost saving exercise…………..

There is no evidence to say Academies are better. Any school could bring in strict policies & give free uniform but the cash has to come from somewhere, hence doubling up teachers subjects……….worse for kids.

Edited by Mark101

In my area there are some good schools that converted to Academy status a few years ago and they are still good.  We've also had some poor schools that have been swallowed up by Academy chains and they have gone from bad to worse - one got so bad that it closed down.

Academy chains are technically not for profit, but if you dig enough you will that their directors take a massive salaries for doing very little.

My query over all this is a practical one.  If education is going to be taken away from the Local Authority, who is going to do the planning for future population changes?    Currently the LA can expand or reduce school intakes when necessary.  If there is a major population increase, the LA always has the option of building a new school.  Who will coordinate this in future if the system is fragmented between independent Academy Schools and numerous Academy chains?

What is going to happen to Special Educational Needs provision?

The government says it wants to give power to local people and headteachers, but this is nonsense.  Local people will have no power over the process, Academies are not required to have parent governors on their Governing Body.  The government will directly control the school's budget, and indirectly control everything else with Ofsted, SATS and exam requirements.

Academy chains are technically not for profit, but if you dig enough you will that their directors take a massive salaries for doing very little.

How does one get one of those jobs................????

I attended an Academy chain briefing 18 months ago, they put up a slide by mistake with the directors salaries on them - when they realised what they had done they moved on sharpish - but not before I saw salaries of over 200k.  This was for an Academy chain which Ofsted said was failing in every area.

I got the impression that all the directors were failed teachers or educational 'experts'.  They ruled by bullying staff and reducing their pay - so just like the police!

This is interesting and repeats my own experience from another part of the country:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/academies-accountability-schools-halewood-knowsley-11100105#ICID=sharebar_twitter

I would imagine that the real reason why the Academy is closing it's 6th form is the money.  The government recently cut money to 6th forms to bring them in-line with further education funding.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/almost-nobody-who-runs-a-school-supports-the-government-s-new-academies-policy-poll-finds-a6956041.html

What you want to do, is come up with an idea that hardly anybody who knows about the subject, agrees with - and impose it anyway.

Piss off the coppers, piss off the doctors and nurses, piss off the educators...........take money off people who won't vote Tory, give it to people who will............sensible policies for a sensible Government.

• Like 1

That is interesting, a journalist cannot get answers about a school so parents have no hope.

Just picked up on an Academy & an Academy Chain…………what is the difference?

The  school my son goes to is an Academy and we have received letters stating that they want to join up with another school, so I take it this is an Academy chain…………..who wins from this?

A school can become an Academy in its own right, so the budget is controlled by the Head, who is also the chief executive.  This route is usually reserved for schools that are already very good and they are called ‘academy converters’. 

However, academy chains are slightly different.  Academy chains (or trusts)  take-over (sponsor) already poor schools.  In these Academy’s the Head is not the chief executive and does not have full control of their budget, they can be sacked at any time.   The chief executive of the Academy chain and their directors have all the real power in these schools.  

I have no problems when schools want to become academy converters if that is what they want.  However I am deeply suspicious of Academy chains because it takes the power away from the Head, staff, parents and pupils.  It’s the exact opposite of what the government say their policy will achieve. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/liam-nolan-perry-beeches-resing-9645957

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/03/why-the-government-quietly-buried-news-of-a-big-academy-schools-scandal-yesterday/

I became instantly suspicious when HMG said that they were forcing this change on all schools, irrespective of what the schools, their head teachers, the teachers or the parents wanted.