Sign in to follow this  
Westie

Adam Johnson...Guilty verdict

According to what I've read, the judge told Johnson to say goodbye to his young child as he faces 5 years in prison.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so, I think it highly unlikely that he will have to serve the whole 5 years UNFORTUNATELY

Just as a bye the bye, I was pleased to learn today that a guy from North Wales had gone to the US to meet what turned out to be a 10  year old girl he had groomed on the net, who he subsequently raped. Apparently, he was found guilty and given a 50 year prison sentence. Now that's what I call a prison sentence.

So long as he isn't repatriated to serve the sentence back in UK. Some 'Do Gooder' or 'Trendy Wendy' will start a campagne to get him out.

Regarding Adam Johnson I cannot find any excuse for his behaviour. He used his status to his own ends. Hope he likes prison food.

Bullshire Fights Back over on the Facebooks has highlighted an LBC news story where a lot of people have made comments supporting him and apportioning either some or total blame on his victim.  I can't understand why anyone would defend him or fail to grasp the point that laws are often made to protect people who may or may not know that they are putting themselves at risk, or to stop offenders having a free for all by using the defence that the victim knew what they were doing.  I also wonder what they would think if it was their 15 year old daughter who was being groomed?

• Like 1

Not defending Adam Johnson, what he did was despicable, but from all reports she pursued him to a high degree, and not the full innocent she would portray herself as. Having said that, he was totally wrong in his actions, yet not much different to my footballers and pop stars.

• Like 1

Not defending Adam Johnson, what he did was despicable, but from all reports she pursued him to a high degree, and not the full innocent she would portray herself as. Having said that, he was totally wrong in his actions, yet not much different to my footballers and pop stars.

I agree, Z', it certainly sounds as if she pursued him and, of course, we do not really know what sort of individual she is - she maybe predatory even at 15 years old (interestingly, she is apparently a season-ticket holder at Sunderland; so she has quite an interest in football). But, whatever she might or might not be, Johnson knew what he was doing was wrong, he knew her age and the snippets of sms / Whatsapp messages shown on Sky News last night, show clearly that he was pushing the girl for some form of sexual liaison.

As you say, Z', he is clearly in the mould of too many "celebrities" who seem to think the law doesn't apply to him. Five years doesn't seem adequate as a possible sentence - if only to demonstrate to others of his ilk that this sort of conduct is criminal and will not be tolerated. Mind you, he'll probably get "credit" for two guilty pleas at the beginning of the trial; so I guess 10 years isn't likely? :tongue_cheek:

• Like 1

Today's "celebrities" and over-blown footballers are no different to the Savile scandal as reported- under-educated, vacuous youngsters beguiled by the idea of someone "famous" paying them attention and therefore there will be plenty more of these type of allegations. The only difference these days is social media which will speed up the allegation process. Young (mainly) men, whether previously DJs or minor celebrities or sportsmen & young women whose sole aim is to be a celebrity through association will keep the salacious media & the courts busy for a while to come

• Like 1

Those who make false allegations do no one any favours, and it does happen. It makes it much harder for genuine complainants.

• Like 1

Questions are being asked by Sunderland supporters why he was not at least suspended pending the outcom. Apparently he told the club and they accepted his story, but the DCI in charge of the investigation has gone public by saying the club were fully appraised of the situation many months ago. I feel the manager may have some very awkward questions to answer.

I am wondering why she should be appraising the club of the situation during an ongoing investigation. The club were not an I.P. and others could have been involved.

You are, of course, innocent until you are prove guilty.  It sounds as if I am defending him but I am not.

• Like 3

After being arrested and interviewed the man should have been at lest suspended. That is exactly what would have happened with a police officer, teacher, prison officer...Infact almost any othe person who's public behaviour was called into serious question involving sexual behaviour with a child would have been suspended! I have even know it happen to politcians-but not very often.

• Like 2

I am wondering why she should be appraising the club of the situation during an ongoing investigation. The club were not an I.P. and others could have been involved.

Because of safe guarding issues maybe?  We are continually told that football players do work in the community, visiting schools and charities etc, so it would be strange if the police hadn't told his employer considering what the allegations were. 

After being arrested and interviewed the man should have been at lest suspended. That is exactly what would have happened with a police officer, teacher, prison officer...Infact almost any othe person who's public behaviour was called into serious question involving sexual behaviour with a child would have been suspended! I have even know it happen to politcians-but not very often.

It was football, do you really believe that their ethics would entertain suspending a player, or commodity who was valued at several million £'s.

We are talking of a money making business ruled by the money God, not ethics or morals.

There have been numerous cases of role model footballers showing the world where their brains are, and showing the world that they are morally corrupt. Many have flourished and got off scot free, thinking of Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Riberi, Patrick Kliuvert, and several others.

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Like 2

Because of safe guarding issues maybe?  We are continually told that football players do work in the community, visiting schools and charities etc, so it would be strange if the police hadn't told his employer considering what the allegations were. 

I agree but he was denying the offences so they believed in his innocence ?

I agree but he was denying the offences so they believed in his innocence ?

In today's febrile atmosphere could you imagine the DM headline 'Police KNEW  about child sex offender Adam Johnson 12 months before his trial but DIDN'T WARN his club.'  I know we shouldn't do things just to mitigate adverse paper headlines but in this case it would have been justified.

If that was the case - yes. But he had already made it public he was going to plead on the original charges before the following allegations were made. So they have no real excuse.

Just how long has the manager of Sunderland been in place............?

"Hello is that the Northern Echo, can you place an advert in the jobs section, we have just had an unexpected an job vacancy" 

There are 2 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this