Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

Assange and Unlawful Detention

I'm sure that most of us have read news stories about the UN declaration that Assange has been unlawfully detained by the UK.  I can't see how they have reached that opinion given that he went through the UK legal system and exhausted every avenue of appeal before jumping bail and voluntarily going to the Ecuadoran  embassy and asking for asylum where he has spent the last three years. 

Assange spent years appealing the decision to extradite him, he jumped bail and he has stayed in the embassy yet its the UK which has unlawfully detained him!

I believe that the UN Human Rights Committee that oversaw this case is comprised mainly of "second division" countries that have some sort of beef with USA, UK and Europe in general. Some people consider it a counterweight to the UN Security Council on which any of the 5 Permanent Members (UK, USA, France, China & Russia) can exercise a veto.

As Skydiver suggests, it's a bit of a stretch to interpret Assange's current residence in the Ecuadorian Embassy as "unlawful detention" but I imagine that the HR Committee's legal advisers are of the same ilk as the Bliar woman - not disposed to find in favour of common-sense but desirous of supporting some self-appointed almost-treacherous scrote's human rights!.

• Like 1

He is not in detention! He went there of his own volition to escape LEGAL deportation to Sweden. He was/is free to leave at any time, but HE CHOOSES to remain there. No one else. He really needs to 'man up' and face the music. Of course there is the little problem that the US also would like to have a little chat about his 'Wickileaks'. The moral of the story is, if you stamp on Uncle Sams toes, he will probably get annoyed!

It is a bit like claiming sanctuary in a church, similar to fugitives from the law did in the Middle Ages, but I believe they were only allowed to stay there for a year and a day..

I only hope that when he does eventually leave, the Ecuadorian Embassy don't try to bill the UK government for his board and lodging over the years during which he was their guest! :tongue_cheek:

\

• Like 2

Why do folks think that Julian Assange is British? He is an Australian citizen, born and bred there. As for his current abode in that embassy in London town, well that is of his own making. People are getting a little tired of Assange - he is wanted on an EU Arrest Warrant for alleged crimes in Sweden. However the Swedes don't seem to be too bothered about this and the alleged crime he is said to have committed. the Swedes are more concered about all those dusky lads from far off exotic fly blown, sweaty, lands and their 'cultural rapey stuff' that they have brought with them.

It is about time Assange 'manned up' and packed his bags and buggered off to to face the music. The likelyhood is that he will be questioned if he goes to Sweden, and released  due to to 'Lack of Evidence'. Mr Assange's problem is that the US CIA "Rendition Airlines" 'cabin crew' might hijack him as they do regularlary to alleged 'Enemies of the State', and transport him back to the US of A so he can be banged in up the next cell to Private Bradely Manning, who recieved a sentence of 35 years for his part in the 'Wikileaks' conspiracay. Mr Assange was just the vehicle whereby those so-called 'secrets' were leaked to the Bloshphere of the Internet.

It is all a pile of poop, and the Yanks were embarrased as to what a lovwly Private Frist Class had access to. It probably meant that US security of its classified material was not that strong - people using passwords such as the word 'password'. this probably still happens. The Yanks want their pound of flesh, so getting their hands of Assange would go a long way to assuage the incompetence of what was allowed to occur. The problem with Assange is if he is 'rendered' to the states, he, like Private Manning, won't see the light of day until they are old and grey, if ever. :christmas_hmm:

Uncle V

There is another construction that can be put on the Assange - Manning relationship - that Assange used Manning as one of his channels to leak the information, particularly to add to US discomfiture.

It is interesting that Assange decided to base himself in UK - presumably because he thought he could play ducks & drakes with the law. I hope that Rendition Airlines catches up with him - he put lives at risk and so, frankly, I care very little about him except that some day he is brought to account - the sooner, the better!

• Like 1