Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

Misleading BBC Headline

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35481787 

Police brutality victim Sarah Reed dies in Holloway prison

When I first saw this I thought that there must be an immediate or recent link between the prisoner being assaulted by a police officer and being found dead but after reading the story it transpires that the assault was in 2012 and that the PC involved was found guilty of common assault. Whilst the death of Sarah is tragic for her family I think the headline is OTT but  I suppose that a headline saying 'female shoplifter found dead in prison' wouldn't have the same impact as one which suggests however tenuously that the police caused her death.

What do you think? 

It looks like Bullshire over on Facebook got there before me  https://www.facebook.com/BBCLondon/posts/1060794823962214 It looks like a lot of people have made a link between the assault and her death in prison judging from all the anti police comments on the FB article, with a lot of people persisting in making ill informed comments despite quite a few people trying to highlight the actual chain of events i.e. that Reed was on remand for an assault in Oct 2015 and nothing to do with the 2012 shop lifting offence.

And the incidents are several years apart! There is no one so blind as those who do not want to see. BBC bias without a doubt or a smear story,

A non story so lets spice things up a bit!

• Like 2

That's because due to the fact that the BBC is publicly funded the government will put pressure on them to print what they wish them to print as they wish to make the Police look bad. Just like during the election campaign when law and order was never mentioned on the BBC.

Allegedly of course.

• Like 1

It is that reporting licence again.  From the video it appears that she was resisting arrest when he was attempting to apply his handcuffs.  The original story from 2012 appears to have nothing whatsoever to do with her death in prison.

I've just sent emails to the BBC, the director general Tony Hall and my local MP to complain about the story.  Police make mistakes but to blame us for something where there is no link is wrong and shows bias.

• Like 3

Journalists, whether BBC or otherwise will almost always attempt to spin the true facts of a story to make it more interesting or marketable.

After retiral I was approached by a free-lance journalist who wanted to write and sell some stories regarding crime and police to national newspapers with who he had an arrangement.  I did the research and he did the writing etc.

On one story about a riot at a football match he cleverly altered the circumstances which occurred before and during the fixture to make it appear the police had actually started the riot and thereafter behaved with undue force while quelling the disturbance. When I pointed out that what was published was not borne out by the facts he shrugged his shoulders and agreed with me but added that the story he had produced made much more interesting reading and had been snapped up by the newspaper he sold it to because of the allegations of  police misconduct. And to cap it all, he was surprised when I told him I would do not more work for him.  

• Like 3

Headlines are there to sell stories. Truth has very little to do with headlines. :( It's not just the BBC, it's pervasive. Unfortunately people believe what they read. Even the journalist of the piece itself may not be responsible for the headline - that's written by someone else and is there to tease and pull in revenue. The BBC ought to be above such scurrilous behaviour since their funding is given and not due to payments, but they are not, possibly because the journos have their eye on a future career elsewhere.

• Like 2

I think it would be foolish for us to hope the corruption was purely restricted to the headlines.... I am currently soiling my mind in a cafe reading the D Mail.... I think there should be more accountability in journalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hmm.

Fact: She was assaulted by a police officer. This is often referred to as police brutality. Fact: She has died in prison. So 'Police Brutality Victim .. dies in Holloway Prison' is not inaccurate.

Paragraph 3 of the web entry makes it clear that the original offence was in 2012 and the officer was convicted. 

Was it necessary to show the 2012 incident again? Maybe not, but it happened.

Twisting the truth to put the police in a bad light is one thing, reporting undeniable facts of a single incident that some choose to interpret as evidence of wider wrong doing is another - but it's the interpretation that's the issue, not the facts or the reporting. 

There are 11 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this