Sign in to follow this  
wotjuno

Soldier reports to PSNI he is a victim also.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/exsoldier-asks-psni-to-investigate-series-of-ira-attacks-on-him-during-the-troubles-34408207.html

This will be interesting to see how it unfolds in the future.

The soldier has a valid point, I guess there will be some caveat that will be found to negate his complaint.

Edited by wotjuno

Mr Harmon is perfectly correct in what he says about the situation. When have the IRA ever faced a proper and correct investigation into the 100's of murders committed by the IRA. If you counted the attempted murders on soldiers and the Police you would have, literally 1,000 ' s of offences to investigate. Currently £millions have so far been spent on trying to prosecute soldiers for alleged historical crimes.

I believe that we should stop wasting money on these allegations which just fuel the baby balance of the legal profession.

• Like 5

If investigations into members of the former RUC and British Armed Forces who served in the Province during the `troubles' are to continue then I would suggest it would be perfectly proper for those who saw service in those organisations to complain, as Mr Harmon has done, and swamp the system with what are, after all, perfectly legitimate complaints.

What is good for one side is good for the other and if no notice is taken of the complaints by former police and military personnel then I would opine that there exists a blatant show of discrimination which h should be dealt with by whatever legal means is available. 

• Like 5

I see a large stick tormenting an equally large hornets nest.

What happens now could be very interesting indeed.

• Like 2

This is interesting. I could make a complaint myself of an attempted murder, as could the other 4 who were in the landrover I was driving when it came under fire. The vehicle was hit 3 times with a further 2 rounds missing and sparking across the road. There was a follow up done by 3 Para at the time but that was it. There must be thousands of similar incidents where no-one was injured and no real investigation done. There is no way that the PSNI could deal with them all. 

• Like 1

Really from both sides of the argument, re-hashing this problem is like opening an almost healed wound. Witnesses from both sides after such a long time ago will find it very difficult to say EXACTLY what happend 20 -30 - 40 years ago, for them to be really credible. Heaven knows it sometimes like pulling teeth to get someone to remember details of an incident accurately that happened only a week ago. Then there is the situation or the situations where witnesses have died, moved away, or cannot be found for whatever reason. This applies to both sides from the conflict. Rent-a-Witness will make a fortune.........

The Military and Police will have a better chance of finding witnesses or proving dates times or places because accurate records will exist when the incidents took place. I am sure the IRA or the UDA, or any other paramilitary group they were with, didn't keep any sort of record. How about the location of some of the missing people, who are assumed to have been killed and buried in an unmarked grave by the terrorists, being revealed before a meaningful enquiry be opened? How about those who were knee-capped as a punishment having a say and finger pointed at those who did it?

This has been almost totally or completely ignored!!

There will be little or no forensic in the form of weapon identification, the army no longer uses the SLR or Stirling SMG and these will have been destroyed. It will be a case of word of mouth by individuals who were involved with of closely associated with illegal organisations. In short - it stinks! Will heresay be allowed? What corroboration will be asked for? What will the requirement be to prove any allegation? Beyond reasonable doubt or (more likely) balance of probability.  Some of the allegations may must throw serious doubt over their claims. I feel that this is a grave misuse of the judicial system.

All I can see are already overweight fat-cats from the legal world getting fatter.

• Like 5

Well I think I still have my old PB from those days so may be able to state date,time and place and there were operational logs kept by all the units. In my case the RMP and 3 Para may have records, but there is no chance of being able to pin down the gunman. It really would be a waste of time,and that would apply to most of the incidents. But why should ex service personnel have to keep looking over their shoulders when the enemy get handouts even when caught redhanded. If its over for them then it should be over for our people as well. As for remembering the incident, I can still see it in my minds eye and it happened in March 1973 at about 17.15hrs at the junction known as the ' Kid'es crossing '. Can't remember what I did last week though :wacko:

• Like 3

This is interesting. I could make a complaint myself of an attempted murder, as could the other 4 who were in the landrover I was driving when it came under fire. The vehicle was hit 3 times with a further 2 rounds missing and sparking across the road. There was a follow up done by 3 Para at the time but that was it. There must be thousands of similar incidents where no-one was injured and no real investigation done. There is no way that the PSNI could deal with them all. 

I was blown off my feet by a 1000lb VBIED but still got back to my feet and continued controlling the scene! 

Edited by Bart
  • Like 1

I think almost everyone who served over there at some time was in a situation where shots were fired at where they were, although not neccessarily deliberately targeting them, it still made you duck for cover or return fire. I know it happened to my section. That fire came from over the border in Eire. So we have no chance of finding out who it was so the same should apply elsewhere.

• Like 1

Send a Sec9 to the Garda and see what happens, I suspect the second word of the reply will be ' off '. Still an attempted murder though.

The 1st word would be spelled with a letter 'e' rather than 'u' (well thats the way it was pronounced in Mrs Brown's Boys and Father Ted)!!! ;)

• Like 3