Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

Common decency prevails

Houses in the Cumbria area around Carlisle which had been earmarked to house asylum seekers have been re-assigned to local people who have been flooded out in the recent very wet weather.

I realise that these refugees have to be housed somewhere, but not in homes needed urgently by the more needy who already live here.

Another take on this problem.

Look back some 65 years, just after the war when there was an urgent need for housing destroyed in the conflict. They made what were called 'prefabs'. Very cheap to make and served the purpose for what they were intended. Estimated to have a life of around 10 years, there are some still in use!

These would be a shed load cheaper than putting them into rented accomodation and provide employment in factories where they would be made. This is not a problem that can solved overnight, but neither are the refugees!

Start the manufacture again and make dedicated estates (unfenced) where these refugees can set up home, come and go as they please (within the restrictions imposed upon them by Immigration). and have some respect and will be safe. Or at least safer than where they may have come from. It may be thought that this is stigmatising them, but that is better than being at the mercy of ISIS, The Taliban, President Assad, or whatever other despotic organisation.

There quite a number of disused or little used military sites thoughout the UK.

• Like 3

Common decency prevails at last, hurrah. The article I read in the Daily Express I think it was, made it seem as though those who made the decision had thought it a major breakthrough. Haven't they heard of that age old saying, charity begins at home. It's about bl**dy time we in the uk had some consideration in some quarters. Makes my blood boil :(

• Like 2

No, if you read my post properly which obviously was not done the 1st time around.

I said no fences (and I also meant walls). (Unlike the common conception of a ghetto) and they would be free to come and go as they please so long as it was within any restrictions imposed on them by the Immigration until their status was sorted out one way or another. Whatever lable you put on it, this would be better than being pushed around from pillar to post at the whim of the councils and light years away from where they may have come from.

The ghettos you were meaning were created by an invading force imprisoning the indigenous polulation, the people these would be intended for, are those souls coming in from elsewhere.

It would also free up housing for UK citizens who have a right to be housed first and we are short of housing. This in preference to others from abroad who arrive with nothing and have to be catered for; sometimes jumping the queue in front of those who have been waiting for years.

We have to do something, this small island is full to capacity, with the facilities such as the NHS, schools, housing shortage and all the utilities just about at bursting point. Have you any better ideas??? Criticise by all means,  but unless you can come up with a solution...................

It would also stop them from integrating, cause resentment and lead to targeting just like the red door fiasco in Middlesbrough.

How would it reduce demand on schools and the NHS? Your idea doesn't mention building more infrastructure. I assume they would be entitiled to send their kids to school and use hospitals if they needed medical treatment?

I read somewhere recently that around 95% of "asylum seekers" are actually economic migrants.  We need to bear that in mind and make sure those who are not genuine asylum seekers are swiftly sent back where they came from.  Although, that's easier said than done so long as we remain members of the EU.  

The current migrant crisis will be the end of the EU, it's just a matter of time.  There is no way the economies and infrastructure of the various European countries can cope with such an influx.  Everyone knows it, but our leaders, and especially Ms Merkel, are living in denial, brainwashed by political correctness.  

• Like 2

Not only are many economic migrants but they are of conscription age and could actually fighting to protect and save their countries.

• Like 2

You mean create what in effect will be a ghetto?      

Bad idea. We all know where that ended last time.

I grew up 250 yards from a small estate consisting entirely of prefabs and it did not degenerate into a ghetto. In fact, we envied those who lived there because their dwellings had better amenities than our pre-war houses.

• Like 1

i have just checked on Google and there are estimated to be 900 of these prefabs still being lived in, they will be found in a number of places all over the country but mainly in the Bristol area. There are even a number which have been given listed status.

This surviving number out of approx 135,000 made is not a bad lifespan for a building intended to last for 10 years.

So really it seems they were not that bad and a step up from a shed at the bottom of the garden where some of these people are ending up.

I think the fundamental difference is that post war the prefabs were used to re-house the indigenous population who had lost their homes to bombing. Migrants are by definition not indigenous so any initiative that housed them in close proximity to each other in a limited area will produce what some might describe as a ghetto. 

OK so where do they go? Irrespective of the history about prefabs and who they were intended for. they did the job and can do so again. All the housing is needed for other people who are not refugees/migrants. Has anyone a better offer? As I said before, criticism is OK but come up with a better idea before you do.

Irrespective of the cost for NHS treatment, Schooling, whatever, the cost to the public purse for housing cannot, simply cannot be sustained. Plus people legally here have to take priority. (Good on Cumbria Council).

It is not a problem of our making, (unless you want to blaim Tony Blair/George Bush) so a bit of lateral thinking has to be done to sort this mess out. Perhaps the EU would like to contribute, it is mainly their responsibility that it wasn't dealt with before it got to this stage.

• Like 1

Prefab houses built in safe zones in and around the war zones, that's where they should have went. Yes, the international community have a humanitarian duty to help and protect those genuinely fleeing for their lives, but not to take in every last one of them.

International aid should have been restricted to temporarily providing them with safe shelter until this Isis problem has been sorted after which they could have returned home. Merkel and co however had other ideas and I have no doubt many European citizens will pay for this with their lives when the terror attacks on European soil commence with a vengeance. Obviously our political leaders haven't read the story of the Trojan Horse.

• Like 1

Prefab houses built in safe zones in and around the war zones, that's where they should have went. Yes, the international community have a humanitarian duty to help and protect those genuinely fleeing for their lives, but not to take in every last one of them.

International aid should have been restricted to temporarily providing them with safe shelter until this Isis problem has been sorted after which they could have returned home. Merkel and co however had other ideas and I have no doubt many European citizens will pay for this with their lives when the terror attacks on European soil commence with a vengeance. Obviously our political leaders haven't read the story of the Trojan Horse.

Well said! The sentiments hit home but it is just a bit too late to do anything about it now - so back to plan B

http://news.sky.com/story/1628526/let-3000-calais-migrants-come-to-uk-corbyn

Corbin says we should let 3000 of the Calais migrants come to the UK.  Great idea Mr Corbin, let in 3000 and more will flood to Calais in the hope that they too will be permitted entry.  It will only exacerbate the problem.  A problem which France don't seem to be doing much to combat.  

Europe needs to realise that the Schengen agreement needs shut down immediately and each country must restore their border controls.  That's the reason so many illegal immigrants have reached Calais without challenge in the first place.  

It also says Cameron is considering allowing 3000 unaccompanied children into the UK.  Where are we going to put them?  We have thousands of children in care already in a system that is bursting at the seams.  And what happens when their parents inevitably turn up in what for many will be no doubt be a carefully orchestrated plan to get into the UK via the back door.   I don't mean to sound callous, but aren't those children the responsibility of the Syrian government or the government of whichever country they have came from?  

Edited by Grumpy2
  • Like 1

http://news.sky.com/story/1628753/uk-could-take-refugee-children-from-europe

Andy Burnham (Labour):  "Just miles from our own doorstep, there are hundreds of refugee children in makeshift French camps living alone in abhorrent conditions. Britain can, and should, be doing more to give those kids a place of safety and I believe the vast majority of people here would support it."

Tim Farron (Lib Dems):   told Sky News it would be pretty "mean-spirited" if the Government included the number of unaccompanied children in the 20,000 figure.  

Jeremy Corbin (Labour):  Let them all come to the UK

What I would ask is:  What are the bloody French doing about it and if they're not prepared to provide them with asylum, why are they our responsibility?  
  • Like 1