chiefwigum

Direct entry as Inspector.

http://www.college.police.uk/News/College-news/Pages/direct_entry_insp.aspx

Another kick for those officers with years of service who have passed their exams up to Inspector.

Theres not enough posts to go around as it is without direct entry.

Are the college saying there isn't enough skill, experience and diversity in the almost 4000 officers already qualified?

Disgraceful in my opinion.

• Like 2

I can see them spending a lot of money on the years intensive training and then for the newly qualified 'inspectors' to come down to earth with a bump when they realise it isn't all a 9-5 job for ESSO men (ESSO = Every Saturday & Sunday Off). Then when the wheel comes off having to carry the can with a possible criminal trial.

• Like 4

The story on PO also mentions the first cohort of direct entry supers and says that only 8 out of 13 are still in place even though their training hasn't finished yet.  I wonder why so many have dropped out.

The story on PO also mentions the first cohort of direct entry supers and says that only 8 out of 13 are still in place even though their training hasn't finished yet.  I wonder why so many have dropped out.

I also wonder and hope that the reasons these individuals dropped out comes into the public domain.

• Like 2

http://www.college.police.uk/News/College-news/Pages/direct_entry_insp.aspx

Another kick for those officers with years of service who have passed their exams up to Inspector.

Theres not enough posts to go around as it is without direct entry.

Are the college saying there isn't enough skill, experience and diversity in the almost 4000 officers already qualified?

Disgraceful in my opinion.

This is an insult to all those serving officers who are qualified to hold the rank of inspector and have the ability to do that job well.  I suspect that those who may enter the Police Service at the rank of inspector may leave in greater numbers than those who came in at the rank of superintendent and have departed with a fair degree of alacrity.

• Like 2

Operational rotation at Constable and Sergeant rank, isn't that what the officers already do on the accelerated promotion scheme? A stint in both ranks to prepare for the move upwards.

Not that id know...

Seems strange when we already have existing officers preparing for the rank

Yes, but they're not paid an Inpectors wage from the off. They only get paid at that wage when they get promoted to that rank. I think the reasoning (which I can understand, although I think it is flawed) is to attract high flyers from other careers who are already being paid a fair chuck - otherwise, why would they jump ship to start on a Contable's wage (with no increments).

With the Inspecting ranks likely to be tagetted in most forces (again) to save money this means even less opportunity for career progression for those Sgts trained and qualified for the next rank.

• Like 2

The story on PO also mentions the first cohort of direct entry supers and says that only 8 out of 13 are still in place even though their training hasn't finished yet. I wonder why so many have dropped out.

If it is because they were not up to the job then I am reassured that the process is a tough one that only the best can get through.

On the other hand they may have resigned when they saw what a closed minded, incestuous organisation they had joined and the promises of bringing in fresh ideas and strategic thinking from 'outside the box' was so much hot air when all it really wants is more of the same.

As OC says, it would be interesting to know the reasons.

Sent from me using witchcraft

• Like 1

@mummypatrol. I'm starting to think your Sgt friend might be right. I also think anyone joining the Police at Inspector level who had been truly successful in the private sector would go into meltdown when faced with the levels of bureaucracy to be ploughed through to affect any real change.

• Like 2

If it is because they were not up to the job then I am reassured that the process is a tough one that only the best can get through.

On the other hand they may have resigned when they saw what a closed minded, incestuous organisation they had joined and the promises of bringing in fresh ideas and strategic thinking from 'outside the box' was so much hot air when all it really wants is more of the same.

As OC says, it would be interesting to know the reasons.

Sent from me using witchcraft

I suspect that the Police Service. being the unique type of public service that it is, will always have to operate in a fashion that at least appears to be closed minded and incestuous. Even if that is not the case, I suspect that it is certainly the type of organisation where any radical changes would have to happen over a prolonged period of time as opposed to being suddenly thrust upon a large group of individuals who are, by conditioning, suspicious and cautious.

I suspect that most of us (serving and retired) will have encountered persons from `outside' who have attempted to introduce certain improvements into policing which are simply unworkable, given the multifarious and essential tasks which the Police Service is obliged to carry out. 

Much of this emanates from the fact that those persons frequently (and perhaps understandably) wish to impose private sector values and conditions into a public sector organisation which, in itself, is completely unlike any other public sector body.

endeavour to place ideas from the private sector which are  

"A sergeant I know is fond of saying he would welcome a direct entry inspector from the private sector to sort out the shambolic management currently in place!"

This happens in a number of Professions, Development Engineering for example, they take fantastic development engineers and put them into man management roles and wonder why it doesn't work. I have spent ten years with a senior manager who is a technical expert but has NO man management skills. his logistical planning is very poor also. So bringing in the right type of professional can be a good idea. In BMW they increase the pay of good engineers and rank it accordingly in projects and actions and Managers in charge people are a different code completely.

You can't say man management anymore terry, we are all a human resource.

Sorry.  :christmas_-1:

So I suppose the term "Manager" is now obsolescent as well. 

Edited by coops1964

There are 197 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE