Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

Officer Suspended

In an 'unusual' move following preliminary investigations by the IPPC the AFO who fired a single shot and killing gang member has been suspended. The man was part of a group apparently intent on freeing others on their way to court. This has now been declared a homocide investigation, suggesting the worst.

Just to recall, 'a non police issue fire arm' was recovered from the scene. No mention was made of it being still in posession of the deceased man but 'found' at the scene. Quite rightly they are keeping the information close to their chests. The way I read it is, there was an obvious threat it would be used hence the shot.

Here we go again! Witch hunt that will take years to investigate and ruin moral and lives.

Big boys games, big boys rules!

Why don't we just give in to Ms May and let G4S take over the firearms commitment? That was a joke by the way!

We do not know the FULL circumstances, but on what we do know so far I agree with you.  Would the Chief Constable have the guts to over rule the IPCC and reinstate the officer if he felt that there was nothing untoward.

However, in the mean time we will have an officer, and his family, hung out to dry by an organisation which no one could term impartial.

I did think it was unusual that the IPCC stated that they were at the scene after it happen, to hears the officers first account. I thought for cases like this officers are taken to special suites (is it called PIP?) where they get all the help they need, before statement is taken from them and they don't give first account until that procedure has commenced…..is that not the case?

They showed a photograph of the deceased man on the news this morning and my first reaction was to think how similar in appearance he was to Mark Duggan, shot in 2011

They showed a photograph of the deceased man on the news this morning and my first reaction was to think how similar in appearance he was to Mark Duggan, shot in 2011

I was just thinking that and wondering when the riots or the media backlash are going to start.

I'm pleased BHH has pointed out that AFOs are volunteers who do not receive any extra pay for what they do. Volunteers who can "un" volunteer any time they wish to do so.

After reading MSM reports of the suspension I suspect that it has been done a- because the IPCC is flexing its muscles and b- to reduce or avoid the repeat of Duggan style riots i.e. to calm community tensions by showing that the police are being tough on the officer from the start of the investigation.

I did think it was unusual that the IPCC stated that they were at the scene after it happen, to hears the officers first account. I thought for cases like this officers are taken to special suites (is it called PIP?) where they get all the help they need, before statement is taken from them and they don't give first account until that procedure has commenced…..is that not the case?

But do the IPCC not make their own rules. If we behaved as they do we would be crucified in a Crown Court.

Should we wait for the IPCC's involvement to be challenged in a CC where allegations are made that they hampered the investigation - If that happened the reply could be interesting

It was when I was an AFO in the late nineties.

I am wondering if the public response to this is a sign of the times. I have read reports of the dead man's friends expressing sorrow at his death but not one about any instance of ensuing public disorder. The Met may well have handled this better than they did the Duggan shooting in terms of keeping the family and the community informed, but it makes me wonder if the recent focus on events such as the Paris attacks and our comparative lack of armed response capacity has truly changed attitudes to police firearms operations.

However, I fail to understand why this is a "homicide investigation" - surely it should be just an "investigation" until there is credible evidence of murder or manslaughter.

• Like 1

However, I fail to understand why this is a "homicide investigation" - surely it should be just an "investigation" until there is credible evidence of murder or manslaughter.

A very good point MP. Surely they are being a little bit presumptious. The declaration that it was now a 'Homocide Investigation', smack of sensationalism, fitting for the lower grades of the tabloids - Ok, make that all the tabloids. I feel that this description is just a little bit above their remit until after the investigation is a bit more advanced. (Unless of course there is OVERWHELMING evidence to suggest what they say is accurate.)

The words "criminal homicide investigation" at this early stage are way over the top. This should be worded differently surely. It gives an impression of guilt on the part of the officer straight away - turns the officer into the headline when actually the headline needs to be the individual trying to hatch this plot, what their intentions were etc.

There are 71 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this