Sign in to follow this  
ribenademon

Information Request

Hi,

I am in the process of writing my first novel and I would like one of my characters to have a police background.

However, I know absolutely nothing about the procedure for joining or even applying to the police, would anyone mind talking a little about what it entails and in particular if there are medical barriers to joining? 

If anyone can spare any time to do this I would really appreciate it, please comment below or email me direct at meloril_mctaff@hotmail.com if you would like to help.

Many thanks,

Martyn

When I started I think there were something like 8 stages to get through, but every force is different although there will be some common parts.

I had to attend a recruitment evening, pass a test at that session before the force would give me an application form, fill the application in and get past the paper sift, then get invited to and pass the 1/2 day assessment centre, pass the fitness test, take a medical, get through the vetting procedure and pass a final interview.  All in all it took 12m from start to finish.  The application form, assessment centre, fitness test, medical and vetting should be common across all forces.

• Like 1

In terms of medical, would epilepsy be something that is tested for? Obviously it is dishonest to conceal medical conditions, but would epilepsy be a barrier to being in the UK police?

Your best bet is to find a police officer who is willing to share that information and conduct an interview face to face. You will never get enough information via email. Also although the law doesn't change in different regions, procedures and policies do. So you need to deal to a cop that serves in the region your novel is set.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Sign in to follow this