Sign in to follow this  
EMZ123

Theft

Hi guys, I'm new to this. Im starting as a special constable in January :)

I Have a question.. Its mailny to do with the code of conduct and using your own initiative etc.

Its been bugging me for a while, so thought I'd post the question on here.

You're out on patrol and youre called to an incident in a corner shop. An 80 year old woman has been caught shop lifting. She stole bread and a chocolate bar, because she's poor and doesnt have any money. What would you do in this situation? Would you arrest the elderly lady for theft? or give her a warning not to do it again? give her a fine?, even though she doesnt have any money to pay the fine?

I know the code of conduct states do what is right (integrity), and stealing isnt right, however whats the best thing to do in this case?

We are taught to treat the public as we would treat our family members, and if that was my nan it would break my heart to have to arrest her for theft of food. what are your thoughts?

oh ok. Ive just read up on it, and have to say Ive never heard about restorative justice, but as I mentioned - im still learning :P

So in this case the old lady will face the victim (shop keeper) and discuss how she can make amends. Am I right?

Would this be something I could suggest as an officer or would I have to contact my local PCC?? Im unclear on this part.

Restorative resolution.  She says sorry, admits she did it, job done.  If the shopkeeper is happy with that.

Then some sort of chat with Social Services, or whatever they're called these days, to see if they can help the lady.......

• Like 2

Had one similar and on searching the lady's house found a cupboard full of stolen property, mainly what she had no need of. It was apparent that she had the onset of dementia and it ended as NFA as she could form no "mens rea". She was referred to Social Services who did sweet F.A.

Her family got her into a dementia home where she happily redistributed property amongst the other residents.

• Like 2

Had one similar and on searching the lady's house found a cupboard full of stolen property, mainly what she had no need of. It was apparent that she had the onset of dementia and it ended as NFA as she could form no "mens rea". She was referred to Social Services who did sweet F.A.

Her family got her into a dementia home where she happily redistributed property amongst the other residents.

Hope you crimed all the handlings

Sent from me using witchcraft

Hmmm.... "I'm 84 and I've got dementia so couldn't form the mens rea" eh??? That old chestnut.... If I had 50p for every time some hardened crim wheeled that one out I'd be able to,  :hmm:  .......... Buy myself a McDonalds Happy Meal or something.....

Don't believe it for a moment.... Crack down on them all. HMP is the only thing these people understand.... :P  

There was more than adequate medical evidence to substanciate the condition. Unless unqualified people want to find otherwise.