Msportman

Requirement of a Degree to become a Cop

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/HR_personnel_and_staff_development/2015/Nov/12/policing-to-become-degree-level-profession--like-nursing-_90127.html

And the necessity is----?????

Surely they are deluded!

Is it that well paid???

Most Uni students I know would never entertain a £19k job for what it entails.....many I know will be clueless on joining thinking it's like Gene Hunt or The Bill but it's not all about having a degree is it !

Edited by Msportman

Degrees can be useful but a lot of our job comes down to common sense which a degree course will never teach.  I hope we never get to the stage where you have to have a degree to join as it will exclude a lot of people, particularly older starters especially if the degree has to be paid for if it isn't taken as part of the 2 year probation.

• Like 1

A little bird tells me that someone has really lost the plot! I am really starting to think that they don't actually know what they are doing and It is starting to look and sound like they are thrashing about like someone in a padded cell. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason what they are doing to the service.

• Like 3

I've heard may is trying to half firearms officers, merge regional forces, revisit police pay,again, revisit compulsory severance, only offer pay rises to certain groups of officers, offer the role of constable to computer geeks without actually arresting or going through probationary periods and revisit Winsor to look at further savings.

She has gone mad.

• Like 1

She can do what she wants, as there is no one to stop her………………it is all about saving money, it is not really that hard to cut someones wages & conditions etc. …...My 12 yr old daughter could do it regarding MPs ………..cut salary, reduce allowances, cut number of MPs, build halls of residence for MPs to live in, stop subsidising canteens in parliament,….etc………

• Like 2

She can do what she wants, as there is no one to stop her………………it is all about saving money, it is not really that hard to cut someones wages & conditions etc. …...My 12 yr old daughter could do it regarding MPs ………..cut salary, reduce allowances, cut number of MPs, build halls of residence for MPs to live in, stop subsidising canteens in parliament,….etc………

And claiming expensive London taxis to convey the ruling elite the 1 mile journey to the luncheon club!!

My goodness how things move on, no longer is the tried and tested recruitment model fit for modern day policing, I conclude someone's had to many blue sky thinking days lately, shame really all that common sense the academics possess would be invaluable in creating a fail safe formula to disarm the drug crazed sword carrier in the street. I have no problem whatsoever with officers having degrees, making it a prerequisit as a condition to make the start point on application is a step to far that the public don't need.

I seem to remember back in the late 70's and early 80's they tried to recruit straight from the Uni's but after a lot of negative feedback from the training schools it was stopped. On my basic course there were 2 with degrees,one left after two weeks saying the job wasn't what he thought it would be and the other made Sgt after 4yrs and no further. But things have changed and they don't want ' Coppers ' anymore. If I tried to join now I wouldn't get in.

Forget diversity, this is positive discrimination of the intellectual kind.

I have no problem with degree's or graduates.... the job needs all sorts but yet again we see an ideologically driven bad idea from a disgraceful, disgusting government; my contempt for them grows by the minute!!

Degree status in Nursing has ruined the profession.  My wife heard a ward sister say the other day "I am not here to get my hands dirty"  She got a few choice words from her as a response, followed by applause from the others present.

The same would apply to Policing. As someone has already said a large amount of Policing is about applying common sense, which seems to be in short supply in graduates.  Just watch them on a night out, as a starting point.

……….that will be £120 a year to be a police officer, same as nursing……………I wonder if they are thinking up a scheme so they can afford their new college of policing. Mrs May said that it must be self financing within a few years……….

• Like 1

Just heard it on the radio stating that the officer will have to pay for the degree, the police can't afford to pay for it………..GTF

There are 117 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE