Sign in to follow this  
AHussain

Why do the police receive a hard time

Hello 

I have wondered I have never received bad treatment or any inconvenience from the police.

I know people who have have a misconceived view of the police which I think is wrong. I dont know any police officer I agree some can be very aggressive but not all are the same.

The reason I want to become a police officer is for this reason I genuinely want to help my community and serve as a officer and make a change 

The reasons for them getting a hard time are as many and varied as you can think. Leaving out the hatchett job being carried out by the Home Secretary, a lot of the abuse and apparent hatred is as the result of miss-information and a fabric of tales with a grain of truth perpetuated by the lower classes of newspaper. No, make that all newspapers!

Add to that the amount of 'harrasment' carried out on vehicle drivers who should be out carching 'real criminals', the police simply cannot win.

Then there are the 'home goals' where a very small percentage of officers overstep the line and comit criminal acts. These are blown up sometimes out of all proportion by the media, but one bent copper is one too much.

I could go on but don't want to put you off. I did a total of 22years before my age caught up with me and if I was able I would have another go. Just develop a very thick skin.

• Like 4

Some people don't like being told what to do by the police and others don't like to be told NO which is often what we tell people.

.. and given an education system where no one fails, they just 'don't reach the required standard' and a society where self indulgence at the expense of others seems to be applauded, a police officer is quite conceivable the first person people meet who says no, means it, and has the power to enforce it.

You've also go to accept that in general, no matter what coppers deal with, at some point they're looking to spoil someone's day - for every victim there's a perpetrator to be taken to task.     

• Like 5

The reason I want to become a police officer is for this reason I genuinely want to help my community and serve as a officer and make a change 

Good post Sir and the reply I quoted is very similar to what I said on my interview 26 years ago. Good luck with your pursuit of getting the best job you can have. 

Good post Sir and the reply I quoted is very similar to what I said on my interview 26 years ago. Good luck with your pursuit of getting the best job you can have. 

Thank you 

I'm a special Constable, half way through training at the moment.

I often wonder why some people are horrible to police officers, but as skydiver mentioned above, it's because they don't like being told what to do.

Most police officers I know are genuinely nice people, and others take advantage of that.

What I'm worried about is when I'm in a situation where I can either fine someone for speeding for example but instead I give them warning, then they drive off laughing at me and carry on speeding anyway. But then surely they will get caught and depending on officer, consequences of that may be worse ?.

"Police Officers are a pain in the neck" and so they should be to everyone who breaks the Law. They should tell the public when they can or can't do something. It is usually for their safety, yes it can be annoying when you are stopped, especially if you are needing to get somewhere. You may have only overstepped the line by a little, but it is the times that the people who overstep the line a little can be the ones who are caught being a terrorist or a child molester to some one with outstanding parking tickets, or as in the case with me telling the kids to behave, loudly. As has been said I have watched something happen where police officers are involved and then read the press report, I think thats not how it happened, but of course they can only get the bad boys story or his mates, you rarely get the police side of the story as they are held back by making a conviction and "criminals rights" if I may put it that way.

• Like 2

Being a Cop has, genuinely, made me a better Dad. We were buying a sofa yesterday and I asked my daughter to hold the end of the tape measure and she gave the teenage shrug. The salesman jumped in & said he would do it, I politely thanked him, looked at my daughter and said "I'VE ASKED YOU TO DO SOMETHING, NOW GET UP AND DO IT PLEASE, BEFORE I PULL YOUR TROUSERS DOWN AND SMACK YOUR BUM" she went bright red & jumped up, to hold the tape. Confrontation with a touch of humour, normally works, sort of learnt this in the job.

Good luck my friend. If you have half the fun I have had...........

• Like 1

In today's twisted world if someone overheard that comment to your daughter might they construe it in the wrong way? Just saying you know.

Haha, you're right, but I can't help being Victorian Dad!

• Like 1

The vast majority of the public have never met a proper scumbag so think criminals, other than those nuisance youths, are loveable rogues like Arthur Daley or Del Boy & police are like the bungling bobbies desperate to pin something on them.

Many think we are using excessive force on footage they see but think we are too soft with said nuisance youths or the burglar who broke into their home, they think we should give them a hiding to within an inch of their lives.

They love it when Frank Burnside or Luther extract an admission by sticking someone's head down the toilet so can't understand when we tell them we have to follow rules yet at the same time are aghast if they hear an officer being anything less than polite.

I've said before take any national news story & follow it through to its end, long after its not newsworthy any more & you'll probably find the end result is it is the fault of the police.

• Like 1

We are expected to be "all things to all men" all of the time, and this is where the Police fall down.

Trying to be this and trying to portray this is impossible.

The role of a Police officer is difficult to define, no matter what you may hear about us just cutting crime. You cant challenge crime without being faced with the multitude of other issues this often brings with it.

Part enforcer, part social worker, counsellor, mediator, youth worker to name but a few roles we touch on.

Jacks of all trades but masters of none is how  I personally see us, and jacks of all trades tend to be able to apply sticking plasters to situations rather than solve and see them through.

• Like 1