Sign in to follow this  
HMService

Frinton on Sea

In today's telegraph- This Essex town no longer has any Police dedicated to it. They have hired a private security team to Police their streets.

The DM suggests there are six PCSOs dedicated to it but they have to travel by bus or bike from a few miles away - I would have thought that the local divisional commander might be sensitive enough to find some way of showing the flag - if only to counter the alleged statement from a local councillor who appears to indicate that Frinton residents pay around 1 million in the police precept.

Where I live, we have no alternative to private security - both patrols and very rapid response (in an incident last year, our G4S (nowhere near as crap as they are in UK :tongue_cheek:) response team had to go and fetch the Police to our place where a security guard had been stabbed tackling potential home-invaders; two weeks ago, a high-profile individual was shot dead in the entrance to his home - again, the private security response team had to fetch the Police to the scene) So, as much as it pains me to say it, maybe private security is the only thing that will make the Frinton residents feel safe - it's thee thin end of the wedge but, maybe, as a number of forum members have said, the plan is to diminish policing resources until private companies can takeover and, eventually, G4S will absorb them all and May and Winsor will take their shares out of their blind-trusts and resume their money-making activities (I assume they will both be elevated to The Lords so that will extend their fees / expenses-earning opportunities etc :tongue_cheek:

In today's telegraph- This Essex town no longer has any Police dedicated to it. They have hired a private security team to Police their streets.

If they wish to by policed by a private security form then that firm should be told that they will have to encompass ALL police functions in its remit and not just those which come within the description of `guard, watch and patrol.' Let them do all investigations and  deal with RTCs and sudden deaths etc.

I any of their staff come under attack, then let them be aware that assistance will only come from their own colleagues and not sworn police officers who would appear to have no further responsibility for Frinton. If they wish to prosecute anyone then then should be told they will have to do so at their own expense.

If they want to play at cops and robbers then they might as well go all the way.

• Like 1

It's not there fault that Police cover is negligible, and I bet they still have to pay for Police In their council tax bill, if I lived there I would refuse to pay that part of my bill and see what happens. The police are in effect in breach of their contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

O.C. I agree to a large extent, BUT, the population  of Frimpton should never have been put in that position. At the best, it is an absolute discgrace by the Policing authority.  They were put in a catch 22 situation and should not have been.  It is about time that the media woke up and took a stance regarding Law and Order and Policing, for without it the country is lost.

Perhaps I should not say this, but I am waiting for another public order situation like Tottenham, to show the Authorities that they have, and are, making a huge mistake. Perhaps they can utilise the Military except they have had numbers reduced to a level lower than ours.

• Like 1

O.C. I agree to a large extent, BUT, the population  of Frimpton should never have been put in that position. At the best, it is an absolute discgrace by the Policing authority.  They were put in a catch 22 situation and should not have been.  It is about time that the media woke up and took a stance regarding Law and Order and Policing, for without it the country is lost.

Perhaps I should not say this, but I am waiting for another public order situation like Tottenham, to show the Authorities that they have, and are, making a huge mistake. Perhaps they can utilise the Military except they have had numbers reduced to a level lower than ours.

I have noticed, over the years, that things have to get worse before they get better.

The tragedy is that innocent people get hurt in the process but I'm afraid we don't live in a perfect or fair world. 

• Like 2

I now cannot help thinking that the crunch is that, there are not enough officers to do the job nor enough money to pay for more. The public will get hurt but who's fault is that? They probably have not abandoned Frinton, after all it is a newspaper reporting it even though it is the telegraph there would have been some embellishment of the truth to make the story more errrrr.........attractive. What is most likely is that Frinton is a quiet area (I don't know it so this is an assumption) so they are concentrating of areas of Essex which are not so quiet.

When the public actually begin to grasp what is happening, then there may be some improvement. Mrs May is just railroading the changes through and until she is stopped then she will continue. The only people that can stop this is the public getting up in arms and making some very loud noises that the HS doesn't want to hear.

• Like 1

I'll take what is printed in the Torygraph with a portion of salt...............until somebody, who doesn't put Ms. May's wellbeing and interests above those of everybody elses, gives us some more facts..................

I like a good fact.

• Like 1

Unfortunately according to recent reports in the media the public don't have any understanding of the level of cuts we are facing or have faced and think that to date the police budget has been cut by less than 10%.

• Like 2

The main problem I see with private security "watches" and "patrols" is that the more people do this then the more they will see. Because they do not have the powers of a constable to action and follow up what they see means, yes you've guessed it, yet more work and responsibility being passed to the police. Without sworn constables, you can hire who you like to patrol and watch but in the event of offenders being detained, constables have to be called to process them from there. Not only that but there is the not so small matter of then paying for two layers of law enforcement.

And when they run out of officers to respond?

Criminals are aware of the weaknesses and will exploit them, as we all know crime is going down because there is no one to report it to.

• Like 3

Probably more complaints about how the police failed to attend or the police turned up late,  then the negative headlines which will inevitably follow, ripping into us yet again for "not bothering" to respond...

Probably more complaints about how the police failed to attend or the police turned up late,  then the negative headlines which will inevitably follow, ripping into us yet again for "not bothering" to respond...

In the circumstances, I think it would be very easy to answer such complaints and point complainers in the correct direction of the cause of the deteriorating situation.

• Like 1

Lets start with the public perception that police officers deploy from the nearest police station - they don't. 

Local police station closed 20 years ago. 

Next nearest which may or may not be where the local response is from is to close soon, leaving Clacton eight miles away as the nearest. Many counties have had far greater distances to the nearest police station for donkeys years. I'm pretty sure dedicated response cars or anyone else showing up as close on the mapping system will be sent if something 'proper' happens.   

The press crave the return of the 'bobby on the beat'. Frinton has no less than six PCSO's (OK not coppers I know) who 'have to get about on bikes and buses'.  Erm, make your mind up eh?

I found another article describing Frinton as 'massively Conservative'. You might argue that if this means coppers are being diverted to try to improve the quality of life for those less well off, it's a good thing, but people should be careful what they wish for: the proof of the pudding will be how long the security guards wait for a useful enforcement response with real powers should they be lucky enough to catch someone committing the average one-and-a-bit incidents a day that happen there.

Thank you for dialing 999, your call is important to us ...           

• Like 1

Bikerider commented.

What is most likely is that Frinton is a quiet area (I don't know it so this is an assumption) so they are concentrating of areas of Essex which are not so quiet.

Frinton is a very up market quiet area, well over the tracks it is and they didn't even allow a fast food or fish and chip shop in the area for years, it is not far from Jaywick (of DHSS television program fame) so they have two areas one affluent and one very not. So they feel they need ensured safety, they have to pay a very high council tax when living there as the houses are are in the higher band brackets. 

There are many places round the country like this, the problem being the rural aspect, officers per square mile V crimes per square mile. The councillor is doing what he is required to do, support his area. The divisional commander is probably doing the right thing to protect all the others who need policing in their area, a hard call, Can he afford the one man or the car or maybe even 2 men? 

I dont envy him, and yes I have been there and had relatives who lived locally. Frinton Posh " I should say so" have gardeners and chauffeurs.