Sign in to follow this  
rizwanmayet

Special Constabulary (Specials)

Hi,

I am a British Asian of 21 years of age and i am seriously considering applying with the GMP (i live in the Greater Manchester region) for a role as a Special Constable. My personal background is i was a youth worker assistant (unpaid and voluntary) from 2012 to 2014. I've just completed 2 weeks with Morrisons and i am soon to be employed with Asda. I'm wondering whether my young age and lack of a work history so to say will affect my chances of being accepted as a Special Constable?

The specials are from all walks of life with varying life experience. It's all about your application and how you perform during the process. I will move your post into the recruitment section. Welcome.

• Like 1

Rizwan.

It sounds like you are getting some good experience which will definitely help when it comes to applying.  Good luck.

Thanks skydiver. I have read about Special Constables who were accepted at the age of 20 possibly 19 so i guess this shows young age may not be a impediment. But anyway i'm looking to be employed soon and then i'll have a long think about whether i am ready or not to apply.

Rizwan

Specials recruiters (who are usually Regular Police with Specials support) will be looking for a number of things - maturity (and that's a state-of-mind not an age issue), the ability to learn quickly and absorb information, and the ability to make balanced judgements and take appropriate action. So much of it is about how you are as an individual.

I had 27 years as a Special (but that was quite some time ago) and enjoyed it and, hopefully, made a contribution to supporting my Regular Police colleagues. I wish you the best of luck - the GMP area is a challenging environment and, if you are accepted, once you are deployed operationally you will learn a lot - particularly about yourself!

All the Best

Sign in to follow this