Sign in to follow this  
Capt Chaos

Police Officers Asked Not To Wear Charity Badge

Met Police officers have been asked not to wear a Union badge in tribute to fallen colleagues because it breaches uniform policy and could provoke ill feelings in some communities.

Some officers were sent an instruction not to wear the charity badge following the death of PC Dave Phillips on Monday, it has been reported in the Sunday Express.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/611264/fury-officers-told-not-wear-UK-flag-badge-memory-killed-colleagues

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34499673

Fair bit of coverage on this on tv news, on radio and in the Sunday papers.

If the Commissioner says it's OK then he needs to change the dress regs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or change some Senior Officers who come out with such orders, apparently without the Commissioners authorisation.

One of the things I admire about many American institutions is that they clearly display The Stars & Stripes on their uniforms; this seems particularly so of the Police departments around the country.

Just as many British servicemen display a Union Flag on their non-dress uniforms, so I think it is time that British Police officers displayed a union Flag on their uniforms - their is nothing offensive about that and IMHO if anyone is offended by the display of the Union Flag, that is tough. It is also important that the Union Flag is flown outside ALL public buildings, together with any other appropriate flags (eg Police Force flag, Municipal standard etc but NOT the EU flag) but NOT one that displays any preference or support for a particular minority (I particularly refer to the Rainbow flag of the LGBT movement because flying that flag discriminates again those who are not LGBT as it implies support one for but not the other).

I really wonder how anyone with any sense can believe flying our National flag or wearing any appropriate representation of it, is offensive in the country which it represents.

• Like 2

One of the things I admire about many American institutions is that they clearly display The Stars & Stripes on their uniforms; this seems particularly so of the Police departments around the country.

Just as many British servicemen display a Union Flag on their non-dress uniforms, so I think it is time that British Police officers displayed a union Flag on their uniforms - their is nothing offensive about that and IMHO if anyone is offended by the display of the Union Flag, that is tough. It is also important that the Union Flag is flown outside ALL public buildings, together with any other appropriate flags (eg Police Force flag, Municipal standard etc but NOT the EU flag) but NOT one that displays any preference or support for a particular minority (I particularly refer to the Rainbow flag of the LGBT movement because flying that flag discriminates again those who are not LGBT as it implies support one for but not the other). :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I really wonder how anyone with any sense can believe flying our National flag or wearing any appropriate representation of it, is offensive in the country which it represents.

I could not agree more.  Great Manc's think alike. ;) 

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on this. I agree someone should be able to wear the Union flag on their uniform without fear of causing offence in their own country when representing the crown and the rule of law. My other feeling is that traditionally as a nation we are not a jingoistic flag waving people, we are not Americans and for that I thank god. There seems to an increasing amount of flag waving rhetoric and minutes silence for every event that involves a death all the while the country is actually dying if not all but dead.  

The British police force is British clearly we are in Britain and to be British and in my case English exists in my mind and is indeed a state of mind I do not need to wear a flag on my uniform to remind myself of this fact. 

My force does not have an issue with the wearing of charity flags it was discussed on an internal forum and they are clearly visible on many officers uniforms I think in the grand scheme of things happening to the force at the minute a charity badge flag or not should be at the back of senior officers agendas. 

• Like 1

But we don't have a British, or United Kingdom, police force. Isn't that one of the reasons?

Sent from me using witchcraft

Possibly, but I don't even think it went as far as that. It smacks of some numpty in a back office who is a bit of a martinet trying to crack the whip.

Quotes from the current Oxford English Dictionary:-

(A person who demands complete obedience; a strict disciplinarian: the woman in charge was a martinet who treated all those beneath her like children a martinet of a staff officer)

The last example probably fits the bill perfectly.

But we don't have a British, or United Kingdom, police force. Isn't that one of the reasons?

Sent from me using witchcraft

Whilst we do not have a national Police Force, I believe the Police Forces in UK can reasonable be called British and, of course, they take an oath to the British Head of State. So I think it's a bit of a stretch to say we do not have a British Police Force?

• Like 3

Well we're not the french police force are we ? Alright maybe British police force is not an ideal description but in this case is illustrates my point that do we need to have a flag on our uniforms ? it has never been done and we should ideally avoid appearing more and more like the military 

We are referred to world wide as British Police, which is how they understand us. We used to be the envy of the world.  We had all this "Jobsworth" stuff with the Rupert Bears.

• Like 2

I think one of the issues is that whilst this might be ok, then there is the Help for Heroes band, the Rupert Bears as described above, various other charity badges that have made their appearance over the years, along with any other long service, jubilee medals and assorted other stuff so where do you stop? Before long you could feasibly get someone in uniform looking like a South American dictator. 

There is no issue with the wearing of the badge as far as I can see; as someone said above there are other more important things to worry about, however there needs to be some limit on it and a degree of professionalism. The uniform is scruffy enough as it is without plastering it with adornments making it look like a Boy Scout's uniform. 

There are 16 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this